Another double wicked small candle

20 hours ago, cvndlechix said:

or so long I figured a FMP on first burn was necessary I sware I've read it somewhere 

You're 100% correct. :)   That used to be standard advice for first burn.   Then as the bottom of the jar approached, those same people were frustrated with inch deep meltpools.  

• Like 2

well in all fairness... you are going to get black on sides from any candle if its burns too long especially once it gets lower in the jar. And especially if its fragranced, etc.

Your goal should be able to achieve best, complete, and clean burn possible when burned PROPERLY. Can't control what customers do.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2016 at 0:49 PM, wthomas57 said:

That being said, double wicks candles WILL get a quicker melt pool. Its one of the "reasons" people do it, because it throws fragrance quicker and often stronger. But candle doesn't last as long either. However, just because you get a full mp quicker doesn't mean you should be getting full deep melt pools right away. Most importantly, I just dont see WHY you would wanna double wick a small mason? One wick does just as good.

@wthomas57I wanted to test it out b/c the first time I wicked the jar once w/ a ECO4 wick, the wick curled into the wax so fast it burned out so I became curious to see if it would work with 2 of them and it did! But around that time I didn't have the knowledge of when to have a FMP and the danger of the container becoming HOT because of the double wicking, also I have come across some candle makers who have double wicked there small containers and have success but as you and others have said its all about finding the proper wick. Oh and yeah the scent throw does seem stronger :D But I now am taking into consideration the safety of the candle/container itself with double wicking a small jar. I am now planning on sticking to one wick and testing it out with scents and just see how it al plays out plus take some GOOD notes :) 

hmmm.. I've never heard of using it by itself. I've only known about blending it with a soy based wax.

Have you tried that?

Anyway... I think your issue is related to the wick choice I wouldn't recommend Ecos to begin with. I think they are easily among the worst waxes out there.

Have you tried CD wicks? I would imagine they are much better. Still curl but I find them better than Ecos.

You could also try cotton wicks. There are lots of options out there and I would try almost all of them before the Eco.

Mixing your wax with some soy may give more options as well, not sure.

But with self "trimming" (and I use that term lightly) wicks, the curl is gonna be a problem if wick too big and it extinguishes it.

@wthomas57The coconut 83 is predominately coconut but is blended with soy and vegetable waxes. I used the ECO wicks b/c tbh I have so much of them from when I started off testing with GB 464 awhile back. I eventually ventured off to the coconut 83 wanting to try something different. A fellow poster has actually informed about the CD wicks working perfect in the coconut 83, in fact it's highly recommended so I said I wanted to try it soon but just stuck on how many eco wicks I have prior to testing the coconut 83 smh. Where can you order CD wicks ? I've only used CS so far for ordering wicks since they had the ECO series. A book I was using for research advise using ECO wicks for natural or soy based type waxes so I figured they could work for the coconut 83 too. 

i just find ECOs dont work well most of the time regardless of wax. Yes, they are recommended and made for soy, but still dont work well.

You can get CD wicks from various places, but I think last place I bought mine was from Rustic Escentuals. But I know you can also get them from Nature's Garden, Flaming Candle, Lonestar, etc.

I really hardly use them as they dont perform best in my wax,

but I do have tons and they work fine for soy and other all natural waxes. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Boy am I glad I stumbled across this thread. I can't tell you how many times Ive read about melt pool that said specifically to burn candle about 3 hrs or until 

it reaches fully to the sides. Ive always read that soy has a "memory" and will not burn past the point of where the melted wax is, therefore causing tunneling.

So this is not true then ? These are the instructions on nearly all Etsy shops Ive ever seen or purchased from. The shops are all high volume shops that do very

well. I love buying candles - B& B etc from small, handmade shops. Ive never had issues with any of those candles. Also, Im seeing a trend with doubling wicking 

on tumbler jars that are only 3" in diameter. I think most of these shops that do high volume on Etsy have their wicks custom made. I noticed some suppliers offer

this to customers. But these shops only offer x amount of scents and in limited sizes as well. So when you guys make a candle - how long does it typically take 

before you can smell the candle. All of the ones Ive bought from Etsy - its been pretty quick, and they were soy candles, with the exception of a few... those 

being beeswax + coconut oil and the other a mixture of palm wax + soy. Interested in your thoughts on this. 

• Like 3

Soy can create tunneling issues moreso than parrafin (in my experience anyway) so perhaps the memory burn is a bit more important than it is for parrafin.

But the truth is... when people are talking about memory burn, they really mean... dont burn your candle for an hour and blow it out. That is begging to tunnel.

As long as my first couple of burns gets close to the edge, I am good with that. It will catch up quickly after a few more burns.

The trend in double wicknig.. is just that... a trend. What does double or triple wicking achieve?  Quicker melt pool, which means fast/stronger throwing scent. However, its also a much faster burning candle. So.... its a trade off. Ive seen double wicking in some smaller than normal containers. But, I cant imagine doing it in jars under 3 inches wide. I just dont see the point. 

Regarding custom wicks. Perhaps... I would imagine not though. I'd bet they are buying various kinds of all cotton wicks for their soy candles. There are plenty on the market to choose from. And the reason that they have a select amount of scents is for a few reasons:

1) Control inventory and cost

2) Soy is more picky on scents that work well with it so inherently there are less options anyway

3) There are standard popular scents that sell well and they often go with those

As far as your last question...."How long does it take before I smell my candles when they are burning?"

Not long at all. But are you talking "full strength" so to speak, or what? Depends on the jar, depends on the room size, etc.

If you are talking about soy for yourself.. you need to give it a week+ to cure before burning. Most parrafin blends do not require that.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

Soy can create tunneling issues moreso than parrafin (in my experience anyway) so perhaps the memory burn is a bit more important than it is for parrafin.

But the truth is... when people are talking about memory burn, they really mean... dont burn your candle for an hour and blow it out. That is begging to tunnel.

As long as my first couple of burns gets close to the edge, I am good with that. It will catch up quickly after a few more burns.

The trend in double wicknig.. is just that... a trend. What does double or triple wicking achieve?  Quicker melt pool, which means fast/stronger throwing scent. However, its also a much faster burning candle. So.... its a trade off. Ive seen double wicking in some smaller than normal containers. But, I cant imagine doing it in jars under 3 inches wide. I just dont see the point. 

Regarding custom wicks. Perhaps... I would imagine not though. I'd bet they are buying various kinds of all cotton wicks for their soy candles. There are plenty on the market to choose from. And the reason that they have a select amount of scents is for a few reasons:

1) Control inventory and cost

2) Soy is more picky on scents that work well with it so inherently there are less options anyway

3) There are standard popular scents that sell well and they often go with those

As far as your last question...."How long does it take before I smell my candles when they are burning?"

Not long at all. But are you talking "full strength" so to speak, or what? Depends on the jar, depends on the room size, etc.

If you are talking about soy for yourself.. you need to give it a week+ to cure before burning. Most parrafin blends do not require that.

All of your points are valid and makes sense actually. This is why Im always curious to hear others points of view + opinions. Thanks for chiming in ! 

• 3 years later...
On 9/8/2016 at 4:32 PM, TallTayl said:

Do you notice how the scent of really hot wicked candles fizzles out long before the wax burns off?

Yes, with over wicked candles, after a while the nice scent changes to a burning wax smell.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2016 at 12:22 PM, cvndlechix said:

OK so I had to post these pics! This is another candle I made a week or so ago using the half pint jar, double wicked ECO4, coconut 83, and Angel Baby scent (a sample oil). ...

...In my opinion it's burning well ! There isn't a deep melt pool in the vast 3 hours it's been burning the flame isn't large the jar isn't hot either just warm where the melt pool is. Could it be the fact of me wicking the ECO4's close together? 

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

Even though this is an old post, I'm compelled to respond. LOL.

Aesthetically speaking, the candle looks beautiful, picture perfect but I agree with the others, that sucker is going to get real hot as it burns down into the container. It should probably look like that after the 3rd or 4th burn.