Tarts or clamshell

LRcandles

If this has been talked about on another thread, please let me know. Ive been reading for an hour and found nothing similar. Ive been selling wholesale melts ,1 ounce, and Im just not seeing the sells. Maybe because of hot summer. I know candles sells are down somewhat during the summer season. Christmas is right around the corner and Im second guessing  my 1 ounce and want to do something different. The 2 ounce cups or clamshells. What sells the best for you? TIA ( what they look like, please excuse picture,( is just something I as messing with).

DSC02014.JPG

Edited by LRcandles
  • Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Are you selling online or in person or wholesale?

Do you put them in a package?

What do other people in your area do? How do they sell them?

I have a wholesale business and sell melts that way, but started selling retail at a local market about 10 months ago. My summer sales have been steady all year, regardless of the temperature (ok, I don't even go to the market when it's 95 degrees or hotter for the high temp.). Your region/market may be very different, so scour your local stores, ask the sales clerks if melts sell well and which ones sell best. Just act like an interested customer. Go to the farmers markets, flea markets, consignment stores, and the local mom and pop stores. You will learn what's going on in your region that way. It's important to understand your customers.

If you are selling online, there are some people here that are doing that and maybe they'll be able to help you. Good luck!!

• Like 1

I've tried selling clamshells, 1 ounce cups and 5 ounce bags. The cups are a pain to me because I have people that want 1 cup of this and 1 cup of that so I've discontinued the cups for right now, other than using them for extra wax and giving them as a free sample or making up samplers to sell that way. Most people here in my area are familiar with the clamshells because of Scentsy and BH&G from Walmart. I love the bags because I just love making all the little cute shapes and bagging them up with a cute label and tag. That's just me. I know of vendors that only do bags and have great success with that. I think the only reason I still want to do clamshells is because my hubby put cork board or whatever it's called with the holes in it up around the back of my counter space in my wax room and bought me about 80 or so hooks to hang from there for my clamshells. I would feel bad if I didn't use that LOL! Plus like I said, people in this area know exactly what they are.

• Like 1

The majority of my sales are at markets and craft shows. During the hottest summer months, like July and August my sales typically drop. I am outdoors and we get fewer customers in the heat. Having said that it reflects in my sales. During the summer, candles and wax products are slow during the super hot part of summer. Once fall kicks in sales begin to climb and during craft show season I can't keep up with sales. Candles and wax products really sell fast during the fall and holiday season for me.

I don't make small wax products like tea lights, tarts, votives, etc. They just aren't big money makers for me even thou tarts can sell really fast. Once in a while, I will make up a bunch of tarts for Christmas craft shows, do a tart bar, and sell a buttload of tarts. But I don't do it every year, just when I feel like it.

So if you are thinking your tarts won't sell, try them again during the fall and holiday season. My experience is you really need to sell any item you are debuting for an entire year to see if sales tend to be seasonal or year round for that product. If it doesn't move all year switch it out. If it sells seasonally try offering it during its selling season as a "limited edition" type item.

• Like 1

I started with 1 ounce melts packaged in a lip and seal bag with a pretty round label...the metal fluted tart molds 

but sales were not that great so I switched to clamshells and never looked back

so much easier to pour and package and sales went up - probably because they recognize them more like scentsy and Walmart ones plus they feel they are getting more product being able to break them into 6 different uses 

I have thought often about the portion cups and may do them one day 

• Like 1

Once upon a time, I carried the scallops, the little cups and the clamshells and it was way too much to keep up with!  I had to explain to people what the scallops and cups were but they instantly recognized the clamshells because of Scentsy!  So now I only carry the clamshells and they are my best seller out of everything I carry!  The little shapes are cute but I just did not have the time for them!  Clamshells are very consistent for me and they sell year round!  I do not do any outdoor shows because my products will melt and so will I!  Lol!  I am in a craft mall and doing fabulous!  Good luck in whatever you decide!      

• Like 1