I think at this point you might want to make another tester with a size smaller wick. Test burn the two side by side and see which wick burns the best. But burn them together to the very end so you can see how well they both do with the tricky last half of the candle.

Also, trim both wicks to 1/4" before you light them up.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I think at this point you might want to make another tester with a size smaller wick. Test burn the two side by side and see which wick burns the best. But burn them together to the very end so you can see how well they both do with the tricky last half of the candle.

Also, trim both wicks to 1/4" before you light them up.

This is the same jar I was using in the other post I made recently. The pasts testers (this is my 4th at this point) have never given me a FMP and I've tested them all the way. 

So I would say I have a good idea how they are burning. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jackbenimble said:

This is the same jar I was using in the other post I made recently. The pasts testers (this is my 4th at this point) have never given me a FMP and I've tested them all the way. 

So I would say I have a good idea how they are burning. 

If you have already tested the next smaller size then it looks like this one may be the best size. I'd still continue to burn it all the way down to see how it behaves in the last half of the jar. If it burns too hot for your preference then you may have to go with another wick series or a cooler burning wick series.

Edited by Candybee

How is this burning in your opinion? This is the 3rd burn and has been burning for approximately 7hrs. The wax has started a tiny bit to melt off the sides but I feel like it should have been sooner. Any thoughts? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

That's the size jar I use and it's a bit stubborn if you wick down just to get a low flame in the beginning.  My flame shrinks quite a bit on the 2nd burn.  If I wick

down it drowns by the time it's 2/3 into the candle.  If it's staying high throughout the burn it's a bit high.

Not knowing all your variables (type of wax and fo) I would double wick it. I had a similar situation and the 20 was adequate but made me uncomfortable. Anything higher than a 20 looked like a beach bonfire in a glass. The mp depth is a tad deep IMHO and overall that set up seems to be working (assuming you have good ht) but since you are at the top wick size, you have little room for adjustments. The double wicking is a pita but I feel secure that the burn is a better result. Spreading the heat across the top makes more sense than trying to distribute it from the center?

22 minutes ago, chuck_35550 said:

Not knowing all your variables (type of wax and fo) I would double wick it. I had a similar situation and the 20 was adequate but made me uncomfortable. Anything higher than a 20 looked like a beach bonfire in a glass. The mp depth is a tad deep IMHO and overall that set up seems to be working (assuming you have good ht) but since you are at the top wick size, you have little room for adjustments. The double wicking is a pita but I feel secure that the burn is a better result. Spreading the heat across the top makes more sense than trying to distribute it from the center?

Thanks everyone for the opinions. Chuck I actually started out testing these with a double wick (CD6) and it gave me a FMP within an hour on the first burn and the melt pool was so deep during a power burn that I didn't feel comfortable. I have looked around for a smaller size CD wicks but all I've found were CD5's although CD4's would be better I believe. 

Is is there anything in another wick series that is comparable to a CD4 in size? 

Edited by jackbenimble

53 minutes ago, chuck_35550 said:

The only other wick in my experience would be an LX. They are not as hot and they operate similarly in design but they aren't as fast for mp development.

Would you happen to know wick size in the LX series would be comparable to a CD6? 

So here's more pics of the test burn in this container. 

CD20 single wick

464 wax

burn time today approx 6hrs

What I'm mostly looking for is your opinion on the wax residue on the sides. If you look back at past pics in this thread you will see more wax residue than I usual like. However now that the candle has burned down I'm seeing that the wax is slowly melting off. What do you guys think? Good or still too much wax residue? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Looks pretty darn good to me.

Now Community Candle I get the CD 4's from.

I hate that when it happens on finalizing a wick, when you either need a tad larger or smaller wick....

Have you tried the Premiers?  Old Glory uses them and they come in sooooo many sizes?

Trappeur