Citronella Candle

I used to use small galvanized buckets but they have a seam and need to be heat resistant glued so wax doesn't leak out 

PIA so I haven't made any in along time but it's on my list to use them up this summer even if only for my personal use 

• 4 weeks later...

I used to make them in little colored, metal buckets from the dollar store! I coated them with Mod Podge.........they were an excellent seller! Haven't made any yet this year........hmmmm, maybe my next project! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

what wicks did you all use for your citronella candles?

Ive had a hard time with them blowing out with some wind (even though they are only half filled metal buckets.

Most citronella candles stand up real well outside even in wind... so trying to figure this out.

thanks

Made 16 in 4th of july themed metal pales (which is a not a lot, but wanted to see how they'd do).

Sold out in 12 hours after posting them And the majority of those hours were middle of the night when everyone sleeping so really it was like 4 hours./

not bad

• Like 2

Thanks for that link to Candles and Supplies tutorial Candybee.  I don't have citronella, but wanted to make a nice citronella type candle to take on our vacation in a week.  I wanted something that repels bugs....and they have a great list of bug repellent EO's....all of which I have.  I think I will make 2 tomorrow to test out.  We are going to Rehoboth Beach and the house we are renting is in the middle of a marsh on the Bay.  While the reviews say it's not buggy....I find that hard to believe LOL.

• 8 months later...

I'm just curious how much EO you all are putting in your candles (per lb of wax). I'm using C3 soy wax and was asked to make some citronella/bug repellent candles, and am unsure how much I need to make an effective bug repellent candle.

The article lists FOs to use in bug repellent candles, but I thought you had to use EOs for effective bug repellent.

Also curious which wicks people are using.

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2016 at 8:00 AM, debratant said:

Thanks for that link to Candles and Supplies tutorial Candybee.  I don't have citronella, but wanted to make a nice citronella type candle to take on our vacation in a week.  I wanted something that repels bugs....and they have a great list of bug repellent EO's....all of which I have.  I think I will make 2 tomorrow to test out.  We are going to Rehoboth Beach and the house we are renting is in the middle of a marsh on the Bay.  While the reviews say it's not buggy....I find that hard to believe LOL.

Lemon eucalyptus - lavender - thyme - are a few others that make good bug repellents . A lot of the oils that are suggested I found can irritate the skin - outside 

of lavender. I think Im going to make some this summer for my grandkids + see how it works :) Have great time :) 

On 5/20/2016 at 0:53 PM, Siren12 said:

I just saw online (terrain.com)  they had lots of citronella candles in terracotta or clay pots, terracotta could be easier to find than the glazed clay pots. imageproxy.php?img=&key=703ca4a7308cd2ef

citronella1.jpg

citronella2.jpg

This candle is gorgeous ! Is it safe to make a candle in terra cotta ? wouldn't it crack ? 

• 2 years later...

Do these really work to repel skeeters?  I've never used this stuff but it's kind of desperate here in the swamp where I live.  I'd rather not use Deep Woods off, and some days are a little too cool to turn a high-power fan on so I'm wondering if burning citronella candles would help. 

They do work 

I have made CS Citronella candles in galvanized buckets to keep on the deck and what also worked really well for me is making incense with bugg off from I can’t remember the supplier(think they may be oob and it wasn’t bulk apothecary) but citronella would work also and I light these and stick them in jars with sand or even in potted plants and it seems to keep the bugs at bay - gnats and mosquitoes 

Oh and just for added information .....cs cypress bayberry is a great spider killer 😂

I was at our cabin a couple of weeks ago and the basement is damp with the dehumidifier not set up to drain constant and well I have an infestation of huge nasty black spiders - in desperation I had that oil there as I’m slowly setting up candle shop there splitting up my stuff at home so I can make stuff while there and so I mixed it with water and shook it up really Good and sprayed the crap out of the doorwall sill and all around the ground trim of the entire basement- I was in spider hell seeing them all scrambling 😩😫🕷🕸

went back a week later and still smelled it quite strongly and did not see any spiders inside - had to respray the outside and saw a few run and I was beating them down but it worked very well and I would rather use than then a pesticide 👍