Question about how high you fill containers

I was just wondering how high you fill your containers. I use the 8oz square mason jars and only fill 7oz in those because I like to look of the neck being empty and also because I had read somewhere that filling all the way up could affect how well  your wick does ( have no idea where I read that/if I made it up), I could probably fit another 1/2 oz and be comfortable. But now I have been seeing the same jars that I use being sold as having 8oz of wax and it does look like the fill into the neck. I have no idea how well these candles burn or if they tunnel/ wick drowns etc...

What is your consensus do you fill the full 8oz?

also I kind of have been basing it a little off of how Yankee, village candle etc fill the apothecary jars. They always leave the neck empty.

• Like 1

I use 1/2 pint square masons and pint jars and I do not fill any higher than right up to the neck of the jar.  When I used the 8 oz square masons I only got 7 ounces of wax like you.  In the pint jars I only get 12 ounces of wax in them.  HTH

• Like 2

Thank you pcbrook. I was wondering how you could safely fit more wax into those jars. 

I know that this company fills into the neck but could the amount of fragrance oil they use effect the weight significantly? I went and looked and noticed that they are marketing their candles as being 9oz! Is there a 9oz square mason jar that I don't know about? 

Also when you tare the scale do you tare out the wick? I didn't think it would be right to include the wick weight in with the wax so I usually exclude it even thought it doesn't weight too much.

I use 6.75oz wax for each 8oz square mason. With FO & color, this fills the jar to the top of the shoulders, but not up into the neck of the jar.  I do not want the flame to be over the top of the jar when the candle is lit, so even though I could fit more wax in, I don't feel comfortable doing so.  Plus, if I fill any higher than that, the wax sometimes cracks a bit around the neck with one of my waxes. I mark my weight as 7oz.  I fill my apothecary jars the same way, just to the top of the shoulders. 

• Like 2

I bought a sample bags of GB soy - GB 464 + GB 415. I really like the 8 oz square mason jars from CS. DO any of you have suggestions for wicks + sizes

I should buy. Ive been reading a lot about the premier wicks on here too + considering give those a try as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I don't care for the look of candles when they're filled to the rim, it doesn't look as professional, imho :) 

Someone on this forum said to fill just to the point where the jar starts to curve but not into the curve.  (Not exact wording.)  I use Ball pint jars which I put on the scale, tare, then fill with about 11.8 ounces .  I do not subtract anything for the wick in the jar.  Customers, around here at least, are more interested in how long a candle burns as opposed to how many ounces of wax are in the jar.  

The amount of fragrance oil used is adjusted because you multiply the wax weight by the percentage.  Wax weight changes, but not the percentage.  Does that make sense? :)

Goldie

• Like 1

I use that jar also and fill it weighed to 7.5 ounces- just at the neck sometimes my hand goes over but that's ok my label states 7.5 ounces 

I had tried filling up into the neck but I didn't like the looks as much - personal preference I guess - it burned fine but inalso thought the more ounces I save the money I make......so long as people don't complain and they haven't 

• Like 3