Do colored candles sell better?

Hi,

Do customers prefer colored candles enough that it increases sales significantly to go ahead and dye?  Dying would likely mean dealing with more visible frosting on my glass container soy candles (C3), but if dying is important to sales I can work on solving this. However, if uncolored is OK for sales, that would be terrific. I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks :)

• Like 1

I think it depends on your area and your target market. I do both colored and uncolored candles, and my colored candles sell slightly better, but both sell well. 

However, most soy chandlers that I know do not color their candles and they sell great for them. 

• Like 1

I agree with JC

I use 415 and have not been able to get frost free pretty color- granted I did not try long to solve it I just decided I was going dye free and they sell good without question of them being colored and I like my soy better that way in my jar I chose - it looks more primitive rustic to me

I love colored candles myself however in certain applications so I have been tirelessly working on a small parasoy line in a different jar with dye- I don't have much extra time these days so it's going real slow but I will get there some day and be able to provide both 

1 hour ago, chuck_35550 said:

White matches everything and can smell like anything.

That's one of the things I offer. I will offer any candle in any scent in any color to match decor. Of course doing this is a special order item, and I will only offer it paid in advance and with a minimum purchase (the minimum is low) 

What a neat idea for a thread chevril :) I don't make candles, just B&B things, but when I saw your post, I thought it probably is similar for lotions and such. I really want to dye my products but haven't been sure if picking some up would be worth it. Looks like I might need to stop by TKB Trading!

We make both colored and white candles, and find that the sell about evenly. The biggest selling point for us is scent, especially when we sell at events (rather than online sales). Scent is definitely king, and at the event we just participated in Saturday, our brand new fragrance that we love (which we kept white) sold just as many as our previous best seller, which is a very pretty teal/blue.

1 hour ago, dandytea88 said:

What a neat idea for a thread chevril :) I don't make candles, just B&B things, but when I saw your post, I thought it probably is similar for lotions and such. I really want to dye my products but haven't been sure if picking some up would be worth it. Looks like I might need to stop by TKB Trading!

I don't color my lotions or sprays but I do my bath bombs. I don't think in my area colored lotions would go over very well, but the bath bombs for me don't sell if I don't color them. I don't make many but when I tried selling just white ones scented in different colors people wouldn't even look at them, just the colored. 

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I don't color my lotions or sprays but I do my bath bombs. I don't think in my area colored lotions would go over very well, but the bath bombs for me don't sell if I don't color them. I don't make many but when I tried selling just white ones scented in different colors people wouldn't even look at them, just the colored. 

How interesting! When I saw the bath bombs at Lush, the colors added so much of a pop! And there were so many, it's like they had different personalities. I can't even imagine now if they sold them with no dyes :D

I sell to stores and do not color them.  I don't even offer them colored.  I used to make them colored but fighting the frosting was a constant battle and besides when I tell everyone they are soy, are natural and dye free so no chemicals there they are sold...Actually no stores even ask for colored.  And if they did ask for them colored I would tell them about the frosting and how the jars look down the road if they were to sit and I just don't like the appearance.  But I never have a problem.  So when I went dye free, I never looked back.  Don't get me wrong, dyed candles are beautiful when done in beautiful colors, but I don't think people even care.....And too, I got sick and tired of looking like a clown with dye always on my fingers, hands, and face.....So would you call that lazy?  I guess!  lol  That's my opinion.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

My wholesale client INSISTS on color. They really want only soy candles - but they will not accept frosting. They will not accept undyed soy candles. So, changing to a parasoy wax was the only option for them. They hate that the candles are not all soy, but they hate undyed candles and frosting more.

They still order dyed soy wax in tins and they are willing to overlook the frosting on dyed soy clamshell melts. But the jars have to be dyed parasoy.

I think you should test market them both ways and see which your customers prefer.

WOW, I never expected so many great responses! Thanks everyone! It's a relief that uncolored is OK for most of you.  I'm thinking I'll offer all uncolored except maybe banana (since yellow seems a bit more forgiving) and see what happens. I love graphic design so I'll work on making the labels "the grab" rather than dye. I'm so glad I found this forum because all the info I've found has saved me weeks of experimentation ! ?

• 3 years later...