My lord! Am I wrong or just crazy?

So I typically purchase 8oz Country Comfort Apothecary jars from Fillmore container. They have been fine but recently I wanted to maybe find a 10 or 12oz version to replace the 8oz. I then looked at Lonestar Candle Companies website and noticed that they sell a 10oz Country Comfort Apothecary jar. GREAT! Ordered a box and it arrived this evening. Open the box and start scratching my head. Hmm. This doesnt look right. I take a jar out and place it next to my 8oz jars I normally get from Fillmore. Yup, its the same size. OMG! there is a label on the box that I just notice that says 8oz Country Comfort Apothecary. Oops. They sent me the wrong ones. 

So then I call customer service. This is where I start to lose my mind. They tell me that years ago Anchor Hocking changed the name of the 10oz jar to 8oz. That will explain why the label says 8oz. The CS rep from Lonestar says its the same jar though. Ok, thats fine. But I tell her that you advertise selling a 10oz jar, not an 8oz. She AGAIN tells me "its the same jar" I can see where this going. She tells me she is the office manager and there is nobody above her to speak to so she calls the warehouse. Yup, they confirm with her that the 8o jar is the same as the 10oz they used to sell. Ok. so again I tell her that if you are advertising selling a 10oz jar, I expect a 10oz jar. Not an 8oz. I tell her that all the other distributors I buy from sell an 8oz jar, I was looking for a bigger container and thought I had found one. 

Basically I was told that an 8oz jar, that is advertised as a 10oz jar, is an 8oz jar. (If that makes sense)  I have never come across anything like this yet and am baffled as to why they advertise on their website a 10oz jar when its actually a 8oz. EVEN THE BOX SAYS 8oz!!! 

Am I crazy or does anyone know what Im talking about? :(

You're not crazy. Its simply poor PR from the Lonestar rep. She ought to know better. Did you want to keep them or return them or what? If you want to return them you should call them back and let them know you don't want the 8oz jars because you thought you were ordering 10oz.

You're not crazy. Its simply poor PR from the Lonestar rep. She ought to know better. Did you want to keep them or return them or what? If you want to return them you should call them back and let them know you don't want the 8oz jars because you thought you were ordering 10oz.

i did just that cause I do not want them, I have to pay for the return shipping which already cost me $15.61 to get it to my house. Im so furious I will prob just keep them for testers

I just looked at Lonestar website and that is a 10oz jar so they sold you the right jars. Where did you buy them before where they are listed as 8oz jars?

If it were me I would just keep the jars since you already use them and save yourself the money and headache of dealing with it.

Edited by Candybee

I just looked at Lonestar website and that is a 10oz jar so they sold you the right jars. Where did you buy them before where they are listed as 8oz jars?

If it were me I would just keep the jars since you already use them and save yourself the money and headache of dealing with it.

Yes the website says 10oz jar, but even the box they come in from Anchor Hocking says 8oz. This is my confusion. Its the SAME exact jar as http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/8-oz-Country-Comfort-Apothecary-Jar-P119.aspxthat Fillmore container sells. This also comes from the Anchor Hocking people with the SAME label saying 8oz on the box. Yet, Lone Star advertises theirs as a 10oz. 

What it boils down to, is years ago when Anchor changed these jars to an 8oz, Lone Star never updated nor wanted to change their website to reflect this change. Every other distributor that sells this AH 8oz changed their own websites to reflect the name change, thus not confusing buyers.

Fillmore's 8oz http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/8-oz-Country-Comfort-Apothecary-Jar-P119.aspx

Lone Stars "8oz" http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlecontainers_anchor-country-comfort-jar-10oz.html

My only gripe, is that if the people who actually make the glass, in this case Anchor Hocking, change the name of their product to 8oz, then you sure as dam better do the same. It seems everyone else but Lone Star has done this and I just happen to think I was getting a bigger jar. In the future I will no longer purchase from Lonestar, but will just keep these and use as testers. Learning lesson I guess

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

That is just not right. There are no circumstances under which that should be a lesson learned. There are too many candle supply websites to treat people that way.

I would keep them too, but remember to not buy from them again.

There's a supplier in Birmingham (can't remember the name - maybe Community Candle), Cajun Candles, Flaming Candles in Atlanta, Aztec in Knoxville, Candle Cocoon, Rustic Escentuals, Candle Science, Peak, BCN.

That is just not right. There are no circumstances under which that should be a lesson learned. There are too many candle supply websites to treat people that way.

I would keep them too, but remember to not buy from them again.

There's a supplier in Birmingham (can't remember the name - maybe Community Candle), Cajun Candles, Flaming Candles in Atlanta, Aztec in Knoxville, Candle Cocoon, Rustic Escentuals, Candle Science, Peak, BCN.

Im all the way up here in Maine OG so it really doesnt matter where I buy from :D I have always used Fillmore Container and will continue to do so. They are in my opinion, one of the best. I was simply looking for something between an 8oz and the 16oz. I thought I had found a 10oz which would have fit perfect in my line. 

I will keep them and already have 2 jars setup with new wick sizes and a center tool that I got from PEAK. They will make fine testers, but will not be giving LSC anymore of my money. 

Edited by Clear Black

Personal opinion, customer service aside you shouldn't be buying glass from Texas when you have much closer suppliers. Between Candle Science and Lonestar, Candle Science is closer to you and since both companies claim they are only charging in shipping what the actual shipping costs, it's likely cheaper. I am in Louisiana and did a cost analysis on Status 12 Oz jars by the case from 1 case up to 88 cases. I am posting below from a Google Drive spreadsheet I created to analyze this. For me, the shipping AND cost per jar from Lonestar was cheaper at every point up to 88 cases (at 88 cases, Candle science was cheaper by 70% of 1 penny per jar, or just under $8 total for 1056 jars. At EVERY point below Lonestar was cheaper. Some points the cost per jar was the same not counting shipping, sometimes Lonestar was cheaper, but in every case lonestar was cheaper total other than 88 cases simply due to location.

I would also suggest calling these companies and asking where their breakpoints in shipping is. Candlescience and Lonestar have "hundredweight" shipping at 200 lbs, and its pretty significant. If I am ordering glass or wax, I try to get 200 lbs or more to get that deal. Of the two, only Lonestar shows the weight in the cart, and CS you gotta fiddle with it. CS also calculates it by boxes too and if you add/remove a few things at once at certain points you will notice where the jumps are. I was actually advised by CS reps on how to look for this.

Anyways, here is a portion of the spreadsheet. I ONLY included shipping so you can see what I mean. These results will definitely be different for you and based on your location! Maybe one of these other fine veterans can suggest an even closer supplier to you.

All numbers other than cases are in dollars and scents, I just left them all longform but the final total for accuracy.

Cases column is how many cases of 12 jars.
Lonestar and Candle Science columns are what I pay in shipping per individual JAR.
"difference P/Jar" column is how much per jar I would pay to Candle Science than Lonestar in shipping alone.
Total difference is how much that equates in actual total money.

In all cases other than 88 cases, Lonestar is the better bet for me personally. You can't see the actual cost of the jars themselves too, but Lonestar was the better deal period up to 88 cases and even though CS's jars were a bit over $100 more expensive, the significant shipping discount at that break made them cheaper over all: $1518.85 total for 1056 jars from LS, $1510.92 for 1056 jars from CS.

NOTE: All of these numbers were created December 9th, 2015 and may be different today and most certainly will be different in Maine!

Edit: Goodness, that didn't post like a column now did it. I cleaned this up and it looks good on my computer but not sure how it will appear on a smart phone. I can give a link to the spreadsheet if interested though.

Cases	Lonestar	        Candle Science	Difference P/Jar	        Total Difference1	1.1216667	1.2758333	0.1541666	        $1.852	0.6925	        0.8641667	0.1716667	        $4.123	0.6005556	1.0586111	0.4580555	        $16.494	0.5364583	0.8545833	0.318125	                $15.275	0.448	        0.7906667	0.3426667	        $20.566	0.4256944	0.8776389	0.4519445	        $32.547	0.554881        	0.8066667	0.2517857	        $21.158	0.5184375	0.89125	        0.3728125	        $35.799	0.4932407	0.82	        0.3267593	        $35.2910	0.4741667	0.7846667	0.3105	                $37.2619	0.3313158	0.8046053	0.4732895	        $107.9125	0.3233	        0.5504333	0.2271333	        $68.1488	0.3808049	0.2649621	-0.1158428	        -$122.33
Edited by C Dizzle

C Dizz. You are spot on with the fact I should be buying closer to the East coast and not from Texas, which is what I normally do. I typically buy from either Candle Science in NC or Fillmore Container, based out of Lancaster, PA. I think the world of both of these companies, but neither sell a jar of my type between the 8 and 16oz. Which is why I went on a search to see if ANYONE indeed did make something in that between range. I thought I had found one when I found Lonestars "10oz" jar here http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlecontainers_anchor-country-comfort-jar-10oz.html

Thus the whole discussion we have been having. This was never a case of where I should be buying from as all my jars are purchased thru FC, and im ok with that being close enough to Maine as I am going to get. 

On the flip side, there is some really good information in what you just posted for beginners like me. NONE of that I would have thought to consider and I thank you deeply for putting in that effort. That is some good information for me to sip coffee and read through for the next hour  :D

I'm sorry but those are not the same jars. The Fillmore must be a knock off. The specs on the Fillmore jar are 2.75"  in height and 4" in diameter with an overflow capacity of 13.5 ounces and no mention of AH. The LS jars are 2.625 tall and 3.875 diameter with an overflow of 11.7 and AH trademark. The difference in the dimensions are not by much but the diff in overflow capacity is huge. I don't think the fill line on the LS jars barely exceeds 8 ounces. Buying glass is not simple anymore. Chinese glass can be slightly off on specs and look more like seconds or thirds in quality (wavy with dings) to other imperfections BUT its cheaper glass. I could be dead wrong but even so, you need to buy glass that specifies 10 ounces to the fill line (if you are looking for a true 10 oz  container) which might wind up being a 16 oz container or some wonky size. Glass is not what it used to be in this country and you really have to be aware what you are getting. Go for samples and save the headaches. The jar will hold 10 oz of wax but not comfortably.

I'm sorry but those are not the same jars. The Fillmore must be a knock off. The specs on the Fillmore jar are 2.75"  in height and 4" in diameter with an overflow capacity of 13.5 ounces and no mention of AH. The LS jars are 2.625 tall and 3.875 diameter with an overflow of 11.7 and AH trademark. The difference in the dimensions are not by much but the diff in overflow capacity is huge. I don't think the fill line on the LS jars barely exceeds 8 ounces. Buying glass is not simple anymore. Chinese glass can be slightly off on specs and look more like seconds or thirds in quality (wavy with dings) to other imperfections BUT its cheaper glass. I could be dead wrong but even so, you need to buy glass that specifies 10 ounces to the fill line (if you are looking for a true 10 oz  container) which might wind up being a 16 oz container or some wonky size. Glass is not what it used to be in this country and you really have to be aware what you are getting. Go for samples and save the headaches. The jar will hold 10 oz of wax but not comfortably.

I think my whole point was I have the physical jars from each respective supplier sitting side by side. They are the exact same size and dimensions. LS even told me over the phone that indeed, AH changed the classification of their product from a 10oz jar to an 8oz jar. AH did this YEARS ago but LS never updated their product line to show this change thus the confusion. I thought I was buying a 10oz jar. Period. I thought this because they advertised selling a 10oz jar, but what I got was an 8oz jar.

On top of this, I have BOTH boxes of 8oz jars. One from Fillmore, one from LS. BOTH boxes that were shipped to me originated from "Anchor Hocking Co., 2893 W. Fair Ave, Lancaster, Oh 43130" according to the labels on each box. BOTH box labels say 8oz Apothecary on the labels yet LS STILL advertises theirs as a 10oz, even though the change to 8oz was made several years ago.

Honestly, Im over it at this point seeing as half those jars are filled now with testers, but my point still stands. The customer service was so horrible that they wont be getting anymore of my money. They just handled the whole thing poorly and lost a customer in return. Does that mean you shouldnt shop there? Heck no, by all means go ahead.  To touch on your point of "go for samples and save the headaches", thats kinda exactly what was happening. I purchased ONE box to see if the 10oz jar was what I was looking for. Turns out, its not, because, well..we know the story.

Edited by Clear Black

http://www.bulkapothecary.com/product/make-it/candle-making/candle-jars/10-oz-country-kitchen-jars-lll-cap-not-included-item-5686jg/

Bulk apothecary has one that looks very similar they advertise as a 10 oz too.

TheJarStore.com has them listed as 8, but with lids for the same price others have lidless.

http://www.jarstore.com/8-oz-Anchor-Pressed-ApothecaryCountry-Comfort-Jar-With-Glass-Lid_p_10.html

Edited by TallTayl

I feel your pain. All of us have been touched by the occasional sloppy handling of a distributor in one way or another. Sometimes (not very often) I understand that the distributors are at the mercy of marketing trends (China has been a disaster for all of us) and it gets frustrating. Hope things works out and you find what you need.

Steve

I feel your pain. All of us have been touched by the occasional sloppy handling of a distributor in one way or another. Sometimes (not very often) I understand that the distributors are at the mercy of marketing trends (China has been a disaster for all of us) and it gets frustrating. Hope things works out and you find what you need.

Steve

Thanks Steve. This whole adventure has been and will be a learning process. Im am very new to this hobby in general but I hope to one day make something that somebody would want to buy, take home with them and enjoy. Til then, I have a ton of information to absorb and a lot of trial and error ahead of me.