Testing new scents?

OMG TALL I have been doing test burns on a pellet stove top that no longer works in the rental we live in!!! It's cold...in montana.... On a pellet stove metal! Holy crap I'm so glad you mentioned that!!!

The cold pellet stove seems logical, right? Won't easily catch fire if something goes wrong (cough cough like when i forget i have them burning) Just for grins, test a few on a typical table in your typical living space.

I noticed the biggest issues with tea lights.

Trapper I'm not pulling my hair out yet I'm just facjnated by all the different aspects to candles ... I had no idea! I'll get there Mostly cause I'm not a quiter...and because I'm a perfectionist who loves a challenge! Thank you for all your time and responses!

Your very welcome Little Light....You are going to find everyone of us has different ways of testing and you'll just have to try this and that and figure out what works for you.  You might find an even better way down the road.

I agree with Tall Tayle how when she would do testings and yank out the wicks to change.....She is right about the part where the wicks will eventually fall as  you get to the end.  The reason being they fall over is that since there is no metal tab and stickum to hold that wick up, the lower the candle burns it all turning liquid and that wick has no way to support itself...so that is a little thing to contend with.  I know by that time when it does reach the end b/4 if falls over if I'm liking that wick.  So then when I have liked that wick, I will then make another candle with the wick and stickum and burn to the end.  Does that make sense?

Talk about frustrations.....well we have all been there.  Years back I was on another forum and was learning and in the testing stages of wicking and one darn  day I had a really bad day and was very frustrated and I put up a post you might want to  read for enjoyment.  I posted it here on this forum...if you want get a laugh go here and read it.  At the time when I did the post, I was ready to throw in the towel and didn't care what I thought and started writing down all my thoughts of the anger I had in me.  I was so mad but when I typed the post and started getting all responses, everyone started laughing and chuckling of what a day I had and so many people who after reading the post felt the same way I did and were afraid to post or say anything about what they were doing till I came along! lo...\I guess I broke the ice for so many.....lol  The name of the post is "a post of frustration" - I put it up Sept. 30, 2014 - it's in the vegetable section.

Trappeur

OMG TALL I have been doing test burns on a pellet stove top that no longer works in the rental we live in!!! It's cold...in montana.... On a pellet stove metal! Holy crap I'm so glad you mentioned that!!!

Holy crap is right! I've been testing on my cold woodstove for years.  Cast iron no less!  Thanks THISLITTLE for this thread and TALL for the info. I guess even us "experts" can still learn a thing or two.  :)

Holy crap is right! I've been testing on my cold woodstove for years.  Cast iron no less!  Thanks THISLITTLE for this thread and TALL for the info. I guess even us "experts" can still learn a thing or two.  :)

Do you notice a difference when burning them on a different surface, like a kitchen counter?

The biggest differences i found were with tea lites and maxi tea lites. They never burned to the edges or the bottom. :-/

I mostly burn tins and found at least a 1 wick size difference between the pellet stove and the wood table.

Do you notice a difference when burning them on a different surface, like a kitchen counter?

The biggest differences i found were with tea lites and maxi tea lites. They never burned to the edges or the bottom. :-/

I mostly burn tins and found at least a 1 wick size difference between the pellet stove and the wood table.

Yes! But I never chalked it up to the cold woodstove   (slapping my fore- head now)

The cold pellet stove seems logical, right? Won't easily catch fire if something goes wrong (cough cough like when i forget i have them burning) Just for grins, test a few on a typical table in your typical living space.

I noticed the biggest issues with tea lights.

Now, I would have done that myself too.

Trappeur

• Like 1

I know it's hard to wait but I get a much better throw letting my candles cure. I do wait the full 2 weeks. It is really disheartening though when you wait and the silly candle has no throw at all. Some scents just don't work with certain combos. This has been the most stressful and time consuming adventure of my life but when you find a combo that works that feeling cannot be replaced.

• Like 1

if you are only trying to determine if the scent is one you would like to test in wax, try it in an oil burner.  that way you can smell the "heated" version of the scent, which can be be way different than OOB.  i have found that most FO's that are strong in the oil burner are quite strong in tarts/melts.  At least you can tell if it is a fragrance you like or are looking for.

hope this helps!

kris

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 1/19/2016 at 11:29 AM, Trappeur said:

lol.......Little Light - You really have to have a love of this craft in all honesty and don't plan on supporting yourself anytime too soon on this craft.  It is expensive.....an addiction! lol

You know once you find your wick size for the particular jar you are using, you can pretty much depend on that wick to perform for most of your fragrance.  There are exceptions though and it really is important that you do test each oil.  After a while it becomes old hat.  I don't know if you do it this way, but when testing for wicks I pour my wax without a wick in the jar, let it harden and then take a skewer and make a hole right down the middle of your candle and insert that wick (without the bottom metal part of the wick) and then you burn the candle.  If the wick needs to be bigger or smaller, just yank the wick out of the jar and put another one in and voila! your ready to test burn another wick....

Trappeur

Oh wow, I have just read your reply, and the idea of putting a hole down the middle of a candle and changing the wick to test.  Absolute genius!!!  
the amount of candles I've made, tested and then melted only to test again.  

Thank you - I shall be doing this from now on. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Natasha2106 said:

Oh wow, I have just read your reply, and the idea of putting a hole down the middle of a candle and changing the wick to test.  Absolute genius!!!  
the amount of candles I've made, tested and then melted only to test again.  

Thank you - I shall be doing this from now on. 

That is why this forum is phenomenal. Little tips like this make testing just a hair easier!  Welcome to the forum Natasha! :)

• Like 2

Can anyone shed any light on this issue for me.  I was marathon test burning a candle and found that after about 3 hours of burning the scent almost disappeared completely, I just couldn't smell it anymore.  The candle was about half way through its burn (as it was only a small one) but any ideas as to why it just stopped the scent?

Yeah did you walk away from it or stand over it trying to smell something? You may have just become used to it and then realized you couldn't smell anything. 

Also have you tried letting it cool down and then relighting it? 
If it repeats this could become an interesting guessing game.