How long do you wait between test burns

I started a post on wicking my 12oz status jar. Within that post there were many responses on test time and they were different. Now Im not saying anyone is wrong but I do want to know what everyone else does. Ok I use 6006 mixed with additional soy, so I allow my candles to cure for 2-4 days before I testing. once I test I use the for ex: 12oz status 3" dia I burn for 3hrs wait 3-4hrs then burn again.... ive read some people wait 16-20hrs before burns some people head right back in as soon as the was is back soild.. whats the rule of thumb? what do you do?

I don't use your wax but I'm one that feels testing has to be random because that's how a customer will burn.  I typically make 2 candles the same and burn at different lengths of time and restart them at different times.

I rarely wait more than 8 hours between burns, usually 2-3 hours or overnight if I'm testing in the evening.  Sometimes I power burn the candle just to see what it will do as I know some of my customers will do the same.

I have my mom test as well, she lights a candle and doesn't put it out for 5-6 hrs unless she is leaving the house, I think she is a typical customer.

• Like 2

For me it gets mixed up a lot just because I work full time.  When I get home from work I light them up and burn for 3 to 4 hours and then they are out until I get home the next night.  But on the weekends I do a couple power burns because I am home.  I light them up in the morning for about 6 hours and then let them sit for about 3 hours and then light them up again until I go to bed.  

I am not sure if that is the right way or if there is even a right way.  But I think it would be close to how a customer would burn them.  

• Like 1

I do use 6006 and I burn various times. My first burn is usually the standard 1 hour for each inch of diameter, then I blow it out and wait until the next day. If it's a time where I will be home most of the day, I light a candle and leave it burning for a power burn (I feel that's what most customers would do).

• Like 1

I burn my candles when I come home and blow them out when going to bed. If I am home I burn them all day and usually in the evening.

The reason I wait till the next day to do another test is because the wax is really not that hard yet to get a true test I believe. The way I think about it is this; If I start another test say maybe 5 hours give or take after a test I recently did, I possibly get a tunnel effect and have all this hang up that doesn't catch up...So to me, that is not an accurate burn. The purpose of a test is to figure out wick sizing and then scent throw (it is for me). So why not let the wax harden so the wick can do it's job right is the way I think. Now for me, I have just a very few scents that I have to wick up or down....a very few (I can count on one hand). I use the same size wick in all my fragrances except for a couple. And my candles go out to stores so I have to have a properly wicked candle for safety sake. Well, regardless whether the candles go out in a store or I give to family or myself, I want correct wicking (like we all do). I want customers coming back to the store where they bought my candles because they were very happy with the performance of them, no tunneling, and had great throw. I did a test a while back on some tins and found out by accident the longer that I waited (I wait 2 weeks), the wick burned differently and that waiting period as much as I hated it, really determined what wick I was going to finally select. I couldn't really understand why my wick would perform differently in a 1 week cured candle versus a 2 week candle till Old Glory explained why....And it made sense to me..... When I do a test I always wait 2 weeks now instead of 1 as I used to and my test tells me, I either do or don't want to stick with that fragrance and it also tells me what wick I will settle on. After my 2 week cure is done I will do a test and then do my next tests the next day. (Like generally 20 to 24 hours). I want to accomplish 2 things at one time, size of wick and if the fragrance is a good one for the wax that I use (464). This is just the way I do my tests so I'm not critisizing anyone's way of how they test. We all have our own ways.

Trappeur

• Like 3

thank you guys for your response,  it was very eye opening. Trappeur that's makes so much sense...I never thought to wait two weeks to test..i never even thought that the wick would or could perform different after sitting.. well I have experience scent throw stronger but I didn't contribute it to the wick...thank you

I test burn my candles the same way I like to use a candle. So one night I may burn for 3 hours and then not again for another week. Or I may burn several nights in a row for different lengths of time or the same amount of time. Just depends on when and how long I want to burn a candle. Just like a customer.

Now when I am testing for burn times, scent throw, wick type, etc.; then I burn for specific test burns and times so I can properly determine my test results.

• Like 1