Soap scents fading

TAH

I've made 3 batches of scented soap. All three batches I used 2 oz of FO. Each batch is a different FO. All three batches had 50-55 oz

of oils in the recipe. Two of the batches the scent has faded so much I can't really smell it anymore. The soaps are all 2-6 weeks old. Should I be using more FO? I read where people talk about "anchoring" a scent but I'm not really sure what that means or how to do it? Maybe I just am bad at picking FO. I do read the review before I buy to see if people think the scent will hold up in CP soaps. 

There are loads of reasons for scent fade. When you cut into a bar, do you smell anything? Sometimes the scent is still there, but faint on the outside. When you use it does the scent return?

How are you storing and curing your soap?

Citruses are known to fade along with many others. There's no general rule about how much Fo to add, it really depends on the fragrance and the published IFRA limits to use. You used about 4%, which for a typical soap scent could be a little light for cold process. Many from NG, for instance, recommend 5%.

Are you doing hot or cold process?

I cut the bar the next day if its hard enough. I store on cardboard trays in a spare bedroom and turn them every few days. I am doing cold process. The scent is not really returning when I use it. None of the scents were citrus.  One scent has stayed so maybe its just my FO choice. I heard you can add things to soap (cornstarch, benzoin, or anchor scents? ) to make the scent stay better not sure if that's true or its just my methods. I add the FO last, right before I pour.Will it help if I soap colder? I have soaped at 110-120. 

I don't know a thing about soap so take it for what it's worth, but I was thinking....could the cardboard you use as trays be sucking out the scent?

Trappeur

No it's not sucking the scent,  cardboard is good to store soap. 

It's probably your FO's and there's no way to tell if it's gonna stick or not until you try it, unfortunately.  Anchoring scents is tricky and personally I've never found it helps much, but you can try it.  Some of the anchors are clay, patchouli EO and litsea.  I'm sure there's more, but I  can't think of any others right now. 

• Like 1

I cut the bar the next day if its hard enough. I store on cardboard trays in a spare bedroom and turn them every few days. I am doing cold process. The scent is not really returning when I use it. None of the scents were citrus.  One scent has stayed so maybe its just my FO choice. I heard you can add things to soap (cornstarch, benzoin, or anchor scents? ) to make the scent stay better not sure if that's true or its just my methods. I add the FO last, right before I pour.Will it help if I soap colder? I have soaped at 110-120. 

You may need to go up to 5% - where are you getting your scents? Are they designed for use in cold processed soap? 

Are you sure you aren't just "nose blind" to the scents, and can't smell them because you are used to them? Most soaps will not have knock your socks off scent, and that's fine, because I have found that most people do not want that strong of a scent when it comes to soap anyway... 

Also, some scents that fade in the first few weeks end up coming back. Not always, but sometimes. 

Soaping cooler won't really help, that really has nothing to do with whether a scent sticks or not. 

Anchoring - well, I've never heard of anyone doing that for FO's - just EO's and in my own personal experience, I have not found anything to really work. If a scent is a fader, it's a fader whether you try to help it along or not. However, I've had very few FO's fade on me, which is why I was asking about being nose blind to them. 

• Like 1

Which scents did you use? And from where?

The temps mentioned should be fine. If the scent is intended/safe for soap, they need to expect to get to temps high enough to gel and still remain.

Anchoring for FO is different from for certain volatile eo. Some people swear by clays and such, but i don't mess with any of that. I'd rather have scents that perform as they should.

There are a number of FOs I use at 1oz PPO. I make 56oz batches and use 3.5oz FO for the majority of them. I have a few I use at .5 or .7oz PPO but that is because they are strong in CP. But those tend to be the exceptions from my experience.

As others have already mentioned there are FOs that are not compatible to CP and others that are but may fade over time. If I have a fader then I will test other FOs until I find one that works.

It helped me a lot to find suppliers that post their results in CP usage on their website under their description of the FO. They also generally will say if it accelerates, rices, or discolors. But unfortunately none of them will say if it fades or not. That's where customer reviews can help if they have those on their website too.

I agree with the post above about fragrances..

every once in awhile you will find one that doesn't last ..

but there is one that I have used.. it seems like it totally fades out.. and after about 2 or 3 weeks it comes back.

I like my soaps to be strong with fragrance I normally always use one ounce per pound..

Edited by 8-GRAN-ONES

Thanks everybody. I bought the FOs from Bulk Apothecary and WSP (the one did last it was an WSP ocean type scent Abalone & Sea< this scent really did stick if anybody likes ocean scents with floral) . The FOs were said to work in CP soap. After reading through the replies I think I need to up the FO a little bit and really comb through the reviews well before I buy my next scent. Could be that "nose blind" thing too. I'll have to ask somebody who doesn't live with the soaps if they can smell them.