Wax dilemma for a newbie.

I'm new to candle making.  I have been researching wax types. I personally love deep colors and powerful throw in the candles I buy.  I would like the candles I make to be as powerful.  I am hesitant towards soy because it seems to fall short on both color and hot throw.  I'm interested in palm wax but the environmentalists seem unhappy with the palm industry (paraffin industry too)  Help!  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Guest OldGlory

If you don't want to use soy, paraffin or palm maybe you don't want to make candles...?? There are other ways to scent a home or space. Then, there's beeswax, but I have no experience with that and I think it's pretty expensive.

Paraffin is probably going to give you the deepest colors. Yankee uses paraffin in the housewarmer candles they sell so many of.

I haven't made very many candles yet, mostly tarts/melts, but I would use either 4630, 4633 or 6006. I've used all three in the containers that I've tested and like them all. But, having said that, again, I've only made a few, around 50 is all.  I've mostly used 6006 because I like the creaminess of it and it's mostly paraffin. I've only made 3 different fragrances with it and so far they've all had great ht and ct. Hopefully, I'll have more time to experiment this summer, but from what I've read on here it takes a lot of testing to get it right and each FO needs to be tested.

You can look at rustic escentials website and also candle science, and they have wick guides that can help you decide which wick to start with. I prefer zincs so far, but that's just me.

My advice to you is to order a small amount of one and test. 6006 is a para/soy blend that's about 70-80% paraffin (from what I've read). The other two are all paraffin and one pour waxes. I've never used all soy but there are many on here that use it with great success but may not be the best way to go for someone new.

Welcome to your new addiction!  :) You will find TONS of help on this board. I wish I had found it when I first started.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions. People on here are so helpful!

HTH

• Like 2

Do not worry so much about what people are saying about a wax. Here is the thing everything out there has detractors. Most of what the bad hype is just that hype it means nothing and most of it is false or something blown way out of proportion to reality.

If you are looking for deep color and great scent throw you are going to want Paraffin it will give you both.  

BYW welcome to the board :)

• Like 3

Pick a wax YOU want to work with. You can never please everyone.

I specialize in beeswax pillars, tapers, etc., but it is a super small market. Makes it more of a labor of love when the wax itself really fluctuates in quality and price. I make them just because i love them.

I also offer soy container and palm (containers and pillars). So long as I love what I make, the people in my market love it too. It all comes down to how you market your candles.

• Like 1

I make palm candles and nobody has ever said a word about the wax. You can find sustainable palm wax and use that like I do to make candles with. Palm wax is very different from soy or paraffin and I personally don't recommend starting out with it if you are a beginner.

IMO paraffin is the best wax to begin with. But whatever wax you choose you should single out and just use that wax until you know it inside and out. Too many times I have seen beginners change from one wax to another and never understand why and constantly complain they can't make a good candle. Each wax has its pros and cons and if you work with it and know it well it will prepare and discipline you to work with other waxes.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

After some research on what was a good wax for melts, I decided on trying IGI 4794 mixed with IGI 4633 (J223).

I've tried 2 different ratios: Both 1 ounce per pound.

4794/4633

70/30%

And

50/50%

Here's the problem, both end up having a cheap, petroleum jelly smell! 

Any input would be great, ty!

On June 8, 2015 at 10:47 AM, Belinda said:

I haven't made very many candles yet, mostly tarts/melts, but I would use either 4630, 4633 or 6006. I've used all three in the containers that I've tested and like them all. But, having said that, again, I've only made a few, around 50 is all.  I've mostly used 6006 because I like the creaminess of it and it's mostly paraffin. I've only made 3 different fragrances with it and so far they've all had great ht and ct. Hopefully, I'll have more time to experiment this summer, but from what I've read on here it takes a lot of testing to get it right and each FO needs to be tested.

You can look at rustic escentials website and also candle science, and they have wick guides that can help you decide which wick to start with. I prefer zincs so far, but that's just me.

My advice to you is to order a small amount of one and test. 6006 is a para/soy blend that's about 70-80% paraffin (from what I've read). The other two are all paraffin and one pour waxes. I've never used all soy but there are many on here that use it with great success but may not be the best way to go for someone new.

Welcome to your new addiction!  :) You will find TONS of help on this board. I wish I had found it when I first started.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions. People on here are so helpful!

HTH

I just noticed tha Aztec sales 5lb sample packages of wax ! I thought that was pretty cool !