WoW Look What I saw on my News Today

I think some of the dyes can be just as bad if not worse.....I'm trying to get ahold of an msds for reddig-glo dye chips. Will post if I can obtain. I think the FO mfg's need to be more transparent when it comes to providing info to candlemakers for health reasons. NG is good about posting msds sheets on their website.

Wow, really??

there have been no definitive studies determining the long term effect of candle exposure
Hydrocarbons that are coming off that are being burned
Okay, talk about a shady scare tactic article. Filled with "possibly" "may pose" "others suggest" instead of HERE is a recently finished study that shows you are in imminent danger if you continue to burn scented candles in your home.

Of course also only paraffin has hydrocarbons. Really? I'm not a chemist or anything, but combustion is combustion. If you burn something, there is something left in the air. Your goal is always a complete combustion.

Fragrance oils are just like food flavorings. They don't have to tell anyone what is in them because they are "propitiatory" substances. If food manufacturers had to tell us the make up of "flavoring" and "natural flavoring" then the food labels would have to be like stereo instructions and would be in book form instead of tiny print on a candy bar.

Of course at the end,

candles derived from beeswax or soy provide safe alternatives to paraffin-based candles
This in my opinion makes the whole article suspect in its entirety. I want to see proof that burning soy produces absolutely NOTHING, and I want to see proof that burning beeswax will improve your joy and happiness in life like I read on some beeswax sales pages.

I love beeswax candles, not because they will somehow change my life and have me singing KumBaYa, but because they burn with a beautiful flame. Of all of my candles those are the ones I love the most.

Paraffin is a natural substance, and it's funny that the article forgot to mention that people are EATING paraffin everyday in many different forms.

I think that the article has been paid for by the producers of soy based scented wax melts or just soy in general. once again, evil paraffin, good soy with absolutely no proof to back it up, just suggestions and speculations. And no mention about all those soy candles which, um, use the same fragrances that the paraffin candles use. So which is it, evil fragrances or evil soy?

sorry......but this subject does frost my cookies........

This crap has been recycled every couple of years as "news" since I've been making candles. Any "research" I've ever seen has been biased toward the soy candle industry and never proven in any actual facts I've tried to find. *dead horse*

To those commenting on this thread, do you use a respirator when pouring? I didn't 7 years ago but as the volume of candles I pour increased, so didn't my use of exhaust fans and respirators starting about 3 years ago. I hate wearing them because they constrict my breathing so I'm on the hunt for a disposable one that has an exhale valve. I called 3M and they suggested Model 8577 for anyone that's interested. I'd rather lean on the side of caution....I asked my doctor about the risks of working with fragrances and dyes and she said if there's anything in them that comes close to paints or solvents, she strongly suggested protecting myself. Unfortunately we don't know exactly what's in them because it's a big secret...makes you wonder why! They can still protect their formulas and expose any harmful ingredients so those of us using them alot can make informed decisions.....

I think it would be safe to say that the dispersal of fragrance in an open room would be in the parts per million, not very concentrated and likely to pose any kind of a health risk. Pouring large numbers of candles in a small space with no ventilation would be extremely risky to your health "duh". Concentrated perfume can cause a reaction but I doubt the perfume industry will cease and desist. Fragrance oils are created by perfumers who use different combinations of synthetic and natural essential oils to imitate a natural fragrance. Have you ever looked at the ingredients on melt and pour soap? This is just another example of a slow news day that means zip. If a customer is burning 6 candles in the house at the same time, well how can you breathe? Not an issue. IMHO

Steve

Just more blah, blah, blah.....same ole story, different day! If there is NO PROOF, then the story is null and void... The EPA is a big overgrown government monster that is wanting to control anything that they can. They can go pound sand in my world.....

Edited by puma52

I have read an awful lot of posts of chandlers selling, going oob due to health problems....I wonder if the health problems are results from pouring fragrance oils - I honestly never gave it a thought until several months ago/ I always poured in my basement with no window open or exhaust fan and I now wonder what long term affects that will have ( did it for 5 years) and although I have never made seriously large mass quantities or poured every week but I still did it

I now have a room with a exhaust fan and my furnace has a ultra violet filter that filters gases as well as dust but it still gets pretty smelly in there until it has enough time to clear out- think I will be wearing some type of respirator as well but does anyone know if the paper ones for painters would be sufficient- or does it need to be the monster looking type with cartridges?

Edited by moonshine

You need one for organic oil vapors (N95).....they come in both disposable and the canister type. Check out 3M's website. I've used both....my problem is I can't stand the feeling of air constriction with respirators and I'm wondering if I should look into the ones that have an air supplied pack. As for health problems and making candles....I have heard similar stories and posts. I never used anything the first few years but now I'm very aware because it seems I have come down with more rashes, bronchitis and odd health issues that I never had in the past. It could be cooincidence or just old age but it is concerning. It's also difficult to find good information about the best equipment/fans/etc to use and install. It's like there's a big elephant in the room but no one wants to mention it. Very frustrating.

That article is a rehash of a rehash of a rehash! In other words, its been going around and around for years. The National Candle Assn is right. There has yet to be any difinitive proof of the allegations made in the article. ChrisR is right. As long as I have been making candles there has always been a lot of unscrupulous marketing especially by the soy industry aimed at vilifying paraffin.

The remarks about the lead wicks are also very misleading. They simply are no longer made in the US nor can you buy them from any US supplier. Implying a wire cored wick may contain lead is a scare tactic used on consumers. The chances of you having a candle with a lead core wick is zero. You would have to go out of your way to even find one unless you go to China. Even then they would have to make them themselves as none of the worlds leading wick companies manufacture lead wicks. Zinc wicks have replaced them for at least the last 20-30 years. Why this keeps popping up is to rehash old fears and scare consumers.

When I burn a candle I don't worry about the fragrance as it has been diluted by putting it into the wax. They only thing I worry about are customers with allergies but they have to make that decision for themselves and those that do have allergies to fragrances or essential oils are already aware of it.

But when it comes to making candles I always wear a respirator as I am working directly with the full strength oil. After years of making candles I started to notice I had a "smokers" cough for days after candlemaking. So I started wearing an OSHA approved respirator and no more coughing spells. Working with FOs can have an effect on your lungs and you can inhale the fumes and vapors directly from the oil itself as you are working with it. I also noticed my cats would vomit on candlemaking days so now I lock them in a ventilated room and cover the door with a cloth so no fumes can enter the room. So if you don't think working with FOs and EOs can effect your lungs or health you should reconsider.

Edited by Candybee

• 2 weeks later...

Lisa & I decided when we started making candles that we would keep things as natural as possible. No paraffin, no fragrance oils. Both of us are very sensitive to certain smells and all toxins. I know various industry players insist paraffin, for example, is "safe," but so does Monsanto about its products.

We have no health reaction to palm or beeswax. We will be trying pure bayberry soon. We've been hesitant to try soy due to the fact 100% of soy is either genetically-engineered or contaminated with GMO product. Soy wax itself is, I believe, not toxic when used for candles, even if GMO - but we don't want to encourage the industry.

I am a certified aromatherapist, so any aromas in our candles will be 100% essential oils.

Well trying to get any info out of the FO Mfgs or Dye makers isn't easy so leaves us trying to figure this stuff out ourselves.....really frustrating!

All fragrance oils are compositions of various synthetic chemicals, mostly petroleum-sourced. Ask for MSDSs ("Material Safety Data Sheets" - disclosure required by Federal law) for all products you use. If they won't provide them, stop using the product. If the products are "safe," there should be nothing to hide. Refusal to provide you an MSDS because "details about our products are 'trade secrets'" is obfuscation, and illegal.

Edited by beaconterraone

I want to see proof that burning soy produces absolutely NOTHING

Any local college laboratory can do such testing for you. Especially if they have MS/GC (mass spectrometry/gas chromatography) equipment.

If the soy wax is free of anything but soybean oil-derived wax, you should have "clean" results.

Paraffin is a natural substance, and it's funny that the article forgot to mention that people are EATING paraffin everyday in many different forms.

With all due respect, hydrogen cyanide, too, is a "natural substance," and just because the Faster Death Administration (FDA) claims paraffin is "GRAS" ("Generally" Recognized As Safe) does not mean it is safe. Petroleum has driven America's foreign policy for many decades, and likewise, it drives domestic policy, including "health" policy.

Think of it this way: paraffin is a light petroleum product, akin to kerosene, which itself is akin to diesel. Would you burn a diesel lamp in your home? If not, why not? Paraffin is "purer," but nonetheless, still petroleum.

I'm not trying to be smarmy, but many assumptions about mainstream candle components (read: paraffin) are dangerous assumptions.

Edited by beaconterraone

I have read an awful lot of posts of chandlers selling, going oob due to health problems....I wonder if the health problems are results from pouring fragrance oils - I honestly never gave it a thought until several months ago/ I always poured in my basement with no window open or exhaust fan and I now wonder what long term affects that will have ( did it for 5 years) and although I have never made seriously large mass quantities or poured every week but I still did it

I now have a room with a exhaust fan and my furnace has a ultra violet filter that filters gases as well as dust but it still gets pretty smelly in there until it has enough time to clear out- think I will be wearing some type of respirator as well but does anyone know if the paper ones for painters would be sufficient- or does it need to be the monster looking type with cartridges?

If I may offer this advice: if you're considering using a respirator to protect yourself from your products components, perhaps you should re-evaluate what you're making your products with? Fragrance oils are synthetic volatile solvents, and as such, would require the "monster" cartridges, specifically, NIOSH-certified respirator, such as the 3M 6000 series, to purify your respiration intake. Paper-based won't do it.

You need one for organic oil vapors (N95).....they come in both disposable and the canister type. Check out 3M's website. I've used both....my problem is I can't stand the feeling of air constriction with respirators and I'm wondering if I should look into the ones that have an air supplied pack. As for health problems and making candles....I have heard similar stories and posts. I never used anything the first few years but now I'm very aware because it seems I have come down with more rashes, bronchitis and odd health issues that I never had in the past. It could be cooincidence or just old age but it is concerning. It's also difficult to find good information about the best equipment/fans/etc to use and install. It's like there's a big elephant in the room but no one wants to mention it. Very frustrating.

The N95s aren't good enough. And supplied air (SCBA - SCUBA without "u" for underwater) equipment is exorbitant.

That big elephant is something the food & HABA (health & beauty aid) industries would rather ignore for as long as possible. Paraffin is easily replaced, but not cheaply. Paraffin's risks and dangers are NOT fearmongering. My lungs told me that long ago. Some people are resistant, but like the canary in the coal mine, I'm an early warning type who is affected early.

The National Candle Assn is right.

The NCA is comprised of numerous corporations whose business models would disintegrate overnight if paraffin were accepted as hazardous. Paraffin is easily replaced, but not cheaply. "Big Candle" uses paraffin, and charges as much as we little folk charge for palm, soy, or beeswax candles, and enjoys the differences as profit.

There has yet to be any difinitive proof of the allegations made in the article.

The tobacco companies said the same thing for decades. The proof is readily available in the medical literature. And, most importantly to me, my lungs tells me paraffin is burning...even unscented paraffin tapers.

Holding on to paraffin is a matter of money. Not just to candlemaking corporations, but to food & HABA corporations, as well.

The remarks about the lead wicks are also very misleading. They simply are no longer made in the US nor can you buy them from any US supplier. Implying a wire cored wick may contain lead is a scare tactic used on consumers. The chances of you having a candle with a lead core wick is zero. You would have to go out of your way to even find one unless you go to China. Even then they would have to make them themselves as none of the worlds leading wick companies manufacture lead wicks. Zinc wicks have replaced them for at least the last 20-30 years. Why this keeps popping up is to rehash old fears and scare consumers.

Modern media use hype as a standard operating procedure. However, the risks of metal-core wicks are reality. And not just lead. I call into question zinc-core, as well. Look up "Metal Fume Fever" and "Zinc Shakes."

But when it comes to making candles I always wear a respirator as I am working directly with the full strength oil. After years of making candles I started to notice I had a "smokers" cough for days after candlemaking. So I started wearing an OSHA approved respirator and no more coughing spells. Working with FOs can have an effect on your lungs and you can inhale the fumes and vapors directly from the oil itself as you are working with it. I also noticed my cats would vomit on candlemaking days so now I lock them in a ventilated room and cover the door with a cloth so no fumes can enter the room. So if you don't think working with FOs and EOs can effect your lungs or health you should reconsider.

Please, please, please, really ponder here what you just said! For your own health, and that of your customers! If you need to wear a respirator, isn't that telling you something?

I'm highly sensitive to vaporized or aerosolized toxins. I have no problems around melted palm or beeswax, or in the presence of most essential oils. Intuition and so-called "anecdotal evidence" is the key to the development of good science. If I had the funds and lab, I would provide all the evidence needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything has a cost. I use soy and know it supports monsanto etc. I recently lost a wholesale account bc they are a health food store who had ethical issues with gm. I should add thst my product did very well there and they doubled their money. I brought up a couple of other wax options to them. Paraffin? Their response: the oil industry is evil! Beeswax? They said "what about colony collapse disorder??!" Finally palm wax ( I would never use palm I just brought it up in discussion with them about alternatives.) To palm, they had grave concerns about Indonesian Malayan rainforests being destroyed. Palm plantations are huge there.

So I lost the account. I walked out of the store, past their plastic beach sandals (watch out for petro chemicals!). As I was leaving they offered me raw dairy vegan goodies to take home. Got Listeria? Oh and they also told me that they would rebuy my soy if I grew it organically in a field, pressed and extracted the oils and waxes myself, all without the use of bad things.

Like I said, everything has a cost.