How Many Scents Do You Offer?

Just one question for you all. Do you first buy a 1oz bottle just to see if you like the scent or do you take a leap of faith and buy a first time scent in larger increments?

It depends on the scent and if a reputiable distributor has it. I will order by the pound/s if it's from Peaks because Peaks has never steered me wrong. I did the ten samples one time and of those, only two were keeps so that is a good way to go. You find out what you like and don't like quickly!

I personally carry 50 scents and plan to keep it there if I can. I have three scents that I'll be odrering from Peaks to tests and I'll be ordering by the # in all of them because I trust Alan to carry only the best!

Peaks Rocks!

:cool2:

I keep am trying to keep it at 60 at one time. Additional scents are offered for different occasions. I don't even want to think about how many are in the cupboard not tested, but I know it brings my total to well over 100 maybe even 150.

Wow, I can't believe the numbers I'm seeing. Being a newbie I can't even fathom the thought of having 40 let alone 200 FO's in my posession.

Just one question for you all. Do you first buy a 1oz bottle just to see if you like the scent or do you take a leap of faith and buy a first time scent in larger increments?

I just ordered a few 1 ounces from Candle Science and I can't wait to start sniffing.

I'm not allowed to buy anything under at least a pound lol!

the one time I didn't test burn and went ahead and bought a lb, it was a mistake. Great cold throw, I really just thought that I had test burned my sample, and a co-op came up, so i ordered some. Then I found my tester unburned and lit it up. Smelled like nothing but fuel! Ick! Very reputable supplier, too. So I sample as a rule.

Now I have about 40 FO's in my little "line" :rolleyes2, and I think I won't add too may more. Some I only offer in votives. 50 at 1 time will be the absolute limit for me (LOL, absolute might end up being re-defined). I do 6 container types/sizes, so testing is intensive enough as it is.

But that doesn't mean, of course that I don't have a drawer full of samples and more currently on a brown truck somewhere heading west, waiting to be tested! Always looking for outstanding must haves. It's the part of candle crafting that I like best, finding outstanding FO's!

I am a newbie and I am just amazed by this message board! My friend and I have just started making candles and selling them at craft fairs. We have so many questions...and in the last few days I have found the answers right here!

Thank you so much for all your help - hope someday I will be knowledgeable enough to be helpful to someone else. :)

I can't help but notice...you have just started making them and are already selling at craft fairs?

I just ordered a few 1 ounces from Candle Science and I can't wait to start sniffing.

I usually buy 2 to 4 ounces so I can try them in everything, votives, pillars(solid and chunky), I dont make containers ( I dont particularly care for them)

I can't help but notice...you have just started making them and are already selling at craft fairs?

We have made votives and jars. Her sister has been making them for awhile, and she recommended the wax that we use (from Candles and Supplies). She also told us what type of wick she liked, but we were not happy with the zinc so we switched to the cotton wicks for votives and German coreless for the jars. Are you thinking we have not done enough testing, etc.? If so, after reading this board (which I only found five days ago), I agree! We need to learn so much...this is much more involved than we ever thought!

I thought if we found a wax we liked and a wick that burned well, we were set. Now I find that depending on what fragrance, etc you use, it could change everything! How do you keep up with it all?!?!?!:undecided

So for each fragrance, it could mean a different wax and/or wick?

well for me it has mostly been a different wick, but with each different wax you will have to start your tests over...I stick with 3 different waxes..lol...

and dont forget additives and things like temp...

just be sure to take really good notes when your pouring and then testing so you know what you did with each candle.

Edited to add: Just start with one formula you like and go on from there...

well for me it has mostly been a different wick, but with each different wax you will have to start your tests over...I stick with 3 different waxes..lol...

and dont forget additives and things like temp...

just be sure to take really good notes when your pouring and then testing so you know what you did with each candle.

Thanks for the advice...much appreciated!

I have about 120 scents in my line. Generally, I take 6 (10oz) containers of each scent to a show. YUP, that's right....I am hauling 720 candles on average to a show..... SO MUCH FUN!!! It's a no wonder I have good upper body strength....;)

After doing 11 shows in 13 weeks, I told my husband...."Go ahead and back talk me....." :laugh2:

Now, to figure out how to haul them with my stomach so that the "fat" goes away is a whole 'nother subject. :D

Originally posted by:JCFantasy23

I only have about 15. I suck cryingsmiley.gif

JC...you don't suck! I only have 10 scents that I've tested - tried and true- that I offer right now. Lord knows I've got 5 times that many on my candle shelf, but I'm still testing. It takes a lot of work and a lot of time to get up to 50 - 100+ scents.

Hugs,

Jems

...My name is Jessi and I an a scent-a-holic....:o