Wick Stick ems...Grrrr

Tell me about it! I still have the box of unused wick stick ums I got years ago sitting on my supply shelf gathering dust. I quit using them for the same reason. They just don't work for me.

I use a high temperature glue sticks and my glue gun for getting wick tabs to stick. They work so well I have to pry the wick tab off with plyers if I want it out of the jar.

Candybee! Omg thank you. I'm going to try that instead of hassling and fussing anymore over these darn stickums. That sounds a million times better.

Scifichick

I was placing wick tab onto the glue dot then peeling them off. Placing in jar and applying pressure. Just wasn't holding at all.

Tell me about it! I still have the box of unused wick stick ums I got years ago sitting on my supply shelf gathering dust. I quit using them for the same reason. They just don't work for me.

I use a high temperature glue sticks and my glue gun for getting wick tabs to stick. They work so well I have to pry the wick tab off with plyers if I want it out of the jar.

I spent a lot of money on new glue guns and high temp glue, the highest they have that I can fine, 251 Degree softening point but they still come lose. I think it is from the oil in the FO. Only thing that holds for sure is High-Temp Red Permatex. Trust me. A little over 4 bucks at Wall-mart. If you put a little foil wrap over the neck before putting the top back on it keeps it from getting hard.:rolleyes2

PS: you have to let them cure overnight

Edited by Wolverine

I have never had a problem with wick stick ems- ever

But in hearing about problems with wicks floating I did buy the red permatex to use for my sale jars but the problem is I never remember to wick the jars ahead of time as it has to cure overnight.... So I have yet to use it and know I need to in case a problem does occur

I spent a lot of money on new glue guns and high temp glue, the highest they have that I can fine, 251 Degree softening point but they still come lose. I think it is from the oil in the FO. Only thing that holds for sure is High-Temp Red Permatex. Trust me. A little over 4 bucks at Wall-mart. If you put a little foil wrap over the neck before putting the top back on it keeps it from getting hard.:rolleyes2

PS: you have to let them cure overnight

It's a pain to have to plan ahead but this is what I use as well. Tabs held in place with Permatex are also easy to remove unlike glue sticks.

It's a pain to have to plan ahead but this is what I use as well. Tabs held in place with Permatex are also easy to remove unlike glue sticks.

How do you remove them? If I ever remember to wick the jars ahead of time I always pour a tester with each batch before they go out to sale- so my tester jar I re-use - that was another concern I had as the permatex is supposed to keep the wick in place permanently so it doesn't float or suck more wax thru the bottom possibly causing a fire /too hot situation

The wick stick ems that I got from The Candlemakers Store will not stay in place so I just use them for testers because they are really easy to remove from the container. I use the hot glue gun like Candybee and that works fine for me. I think

I will try that Permatex. I bet the Permatex costs more than the glue sticks.

another tip is to start with clean jar.- and buy no means I am suggesting u use dirty jars. lol a wipe w isopropyl alcohol will make a big difference. I use the stickems from BCN/S and the CMS (Candlemakers store)..never have a problem. get a spray bottle and mist a paper towel to clean the bottom of your jars. give it a minute to dry. that should fix your problems with the wick stickers. I cut my stickers in halves for money saving.

Take care!

Candybee! Omg thank you. I'm going to try that instead of hassling and fussing anymore over these darn stickums. That sounds a million times better.

Scifichick

I was placing wick tab onto the glue dot then peeling them off. Placing in jar and applying pressure. Just wasn't holding at all.

Are you using wick stickums or glue dots? Huge difference.

Glue dots are fine if they are "fresh" "new" otherwise they are a waste of money.

I've had good luck with glue dots from Bitter Creek & CS - haven't tried any from the others.

I thought about using glue sticks but some of my jars are double / triple wicked.

Glue sticks and multi-wicker would get ugly in my thoughts.

you can use clear silicon, use a caulking gun and put about a 50 cent size glob of silicon on cardboard, get a plastic straw and cut it an inch shorter than the wick, put the wick into the straw and dip the base into your caulk then center the base with your jar and push the wick base with the silicon to the bottom of the jar.

A pen without the insides works great or the hardware store will have something that works to put the wick into.

GE Silicone - Cures in 6 hours - adheres up to 450 degrees F 2.8 oz for $4. Resealable squeeze tube with the saran wrap tip mentioned or a nail placed in the hole. Been using it for years with zero failures. I prefer this because it is clear. Home Depot link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Silicone-II-2-8-oz-Kitchen-and-Bath-Clear-Caulk-GE284-3TG/100004845#.UjetX4LD_IU

Glue dots have not worked for me. Wick Stickers from CS have worked very well but I've only applied on cleaned glass. There was a bad batch of stickums but that was reported a long while (years) ago.