ParaSoy for tarts...suggestions?

tlayne

I have been trying to make tarts with soy. I have had decent luck with the EcoSoya PB, but I don't like the way the tarts look. I added XceL and it has just been terrible, and no matter how much tweaking I do to my temps/molds/etc, I am still having issues. So I am planning to try some ParaSoy wax and see if that doesn't make my tart making much easier, and make my tarts look and perform better.

I've heard a lot about the KY ParaSoy Tart/Votive blend...what's the current word on this wax?

What are some other good waxes for making tarts?

ParaSoy/Parrafin blends...

I like KY's parasoy wax myself. Right now I'm switching to their all paraffin 133 wax and mixing it with a container wax for clamshells and alone or with a small amount of container wax for tarts in molds. But if I decided to go back to a parasoy blend theirs is the one I would use!

HTH

Belinda

I am going to try the KY ParaSoy for sure.

Might I ask why you are switching?

If I could tell you why I would! LOL! I guess because I'm like a lot of people on here that are looking for that perfect wax and so my journey continues!

One of the main reasons I wanted to go to all paraffin is because I read a lot of great reviews about a vendor in a wax review group I'm in on facebook and this vendor uses all paraffin. I've bought her tarts and they're very hard and the wax doesn't rub off of on the bags like it does when I used the para/soy blend. That drives me nuts. I've gone back and forth between 4625/4630 and KY133 and KY143 and I can't tell much difference. But for clamshells I would absolutely use their para/soy again, and would even use it for tarts but mix some 4625 or their KY143 with it to make it harder. I've liked all of those for tarts.

I have changed and changed and quite honestly I'm not sure if I personally can tell a difference, BUT I don't keep notes and there probably lies the problem.

I just used up the last of the para/soy wax I had from RE in clamshells and they're very creamy and nice looking to me. I also poured some using 4625 mixed with 4630 (I think that's the one) and they don't look as nice but I think I needed to add a little more container wax than I did. I can't tell a difference in CT but I haven't melted any of them.

I have a terrible time making my mind up about everything and always have, but I can tell you that I liked it a lot! I especially like the fact that it comes in granule form. I'm using their KY133 mixed with container wax for clamshells now.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in that particular wax if you're looking for a para/soy blend. The Candle Source also has granule wax for tarts but I didn't care for it at all. There were several on here that used it and from what I remember didn't like it either.

justajesuschick could probably help you more. She keeps great notes! I'm very disorganized!

Sorry such a long response. I'm probably not much help. But I still think you'll like it a lot!

Belinda

I am getting great throw from the PB/XceL blend that I recently started...but the tarts looks horrible, imo. (I just posted a new thread with some pics of some problem tarts.) I have only tried these two waxes, I have never worked with Paraffin before. But I am betting it will make the wax much easier to remove from molds and will be less messy with packaging. These tarts that I have been making smear like crazy when I bag them. Worse now that I added the XceL into the picture. But they perform pretty good, so I am not sure what to do. If I can find a paraffin blend or straight paraffin wax that works just as well AND looks MUCH better, I will likely switch.

I've only poured straight soy one time (from KY) and though it was very pretty and creamy looking I just prefer paraffin. Like you, I don't like the smears. I did buy a couple of soy tarts from sugar scents and they didn't have any smears on the bag but some that I bought from another vendor had smears all over!

I think you will really like KY's para/soy tart wax or their 133 or 143 wax which is all paraffin. I also like 4625! When I make tarts with a straight paraffin pillar wax I don't have smears. Someone with more experience than me might be able to tell us both how to make them a different way without smears though! I just haven't found it yet.

Belinda

I tried the KY parasoy a few years ago and just didnt care for it. The cold throw was weak. Now in all fairness to the wax, I was just starting out so it could have been my method as opposed to the wax. I know many people have had great success with it. Because I do not have the patience to allow for the cure time, and I know that soy is a little more tempermental with certain FO's, I chose to use all paraffin. I only make tarts and I do not sell. I have been using a 50/50 blend of 4625/4630 for quite some time now and they have nice smooth tops and great CT and HT, plus they take color very nicely. I am toying with the idea of trying 4625/4627 but I am hesitant only because 4627 is so darn messy to work. So for now I am sticking with my tried & true blend but I just may be making a switch when I place my next order.

I've been wanting to try 4625 mixed with 4627 also but have read about how soft and messy it is and didn't want to order the quantity that you have to buy it in. I've not seen it sold less than 25 pounds (I think that's right).

If you try it with 4625 then please post your results!

Belinda

Peaks sells 2 LB samples.

I've been wanting to try 4625 mixed with 4627 also but have read about how soft and messy it is and didn't want to order the quantity that you have to buy it in. I've not seen it sold less than 25 pounds (I think that's right).

Belinda

Belinda

Well, if you tried any that I sent, you have tried this blend for yourself! Without the mess or having to order 25 pounds. Each of the pairs I sent you to try were 4625/4630 and 4625/4627. If you still have any of those left, try them first before buying the wax. If you melted them and could not tell a difference, then I would definitely use the 4630 instead as it is much easier to work with. I think you told me a preference for one pair. I will go back and see if so and which you preferred.

Peaks sells 2 LB samples.

Yes, they do. It comes in a cool whip like container and makes using it nice and easy!

Well, if you tried any that I sent, you have tried this blend for yourself! Without the mess or having to order 25 pounds. Each of the pairs I sent you to try were 4625/4630 and 4625/4627. If you still have any of those left, try them first before buying the wax. If you melted them and could not tell a difference, then I would definitely use the 4630 instead as it is much easier to work with. I think you told me a preference for one pair. I will go back and see if so and which you preferred.

Yes, they do. It comes in a cool whip like container and makes using it nice and easy!

I haven't finished your tarts yet. I got side tracked! But I will get right back on doing that and send my opinion about the rest. If there isn't any difference then I'll just stay with 4630. I think it's even a little messy to work with so I don't need one that's messier LOL!

• 1 month later...

I made claimshells with 1 pound of soy wax 415 add 1 oz of fragrance two used color drops all turn out nice. Here's my questions how long do I wait before I test them? I have read on diff. sites wait at least 4 hours up to 7 days.

Ecosoya PB makes one heck of a great smelling tart or pillar or votive. But the looks of candles are not the best. If it were me, and I wanted to mix it with a paraffin, I'd use J223 or J50. Maybe 25-50% added to the Ecosoya PB. Now that would make an awesome smelling tart.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

I might have to try that blend Candybee! Maybe mixing a soy pillar wax with a pillar paraffin wax will make the tart hard enough that it won't rub off on the bag.

Does soy have a stronger throw than paraffin? I've read good things and bad things about soy. Or do you get a better throw by mixing the two? I've really been wanting to use all paraffin but if soy will help with longevity and throw then I'm willing to use it too!

I've used lots of different waxes over the years and still like the strong throw from paraffin wax the best. I spent several years working with soy and finally came out with a good candle that threw well but always come back to paraffin. So I ended up making a parasoy blend that threw very well and used that for a number of years.

I will say that some FOs just smell better in soy than paraffin. Many bakery FOs are more 'homey' smelling in soy. Soy also has the cooking oil scent that comes off of it when you heat it up. Maybe thats why bakery scents work so well in it.

When I discovered palm wax I quit looking. I get the best of both worlds, the great throw I missed from parafin and the 'clean' burn I got from soy. Plus, its hard to find an FO that doesn't work in palm and you get that unique crystal pattern that makes a beautiful candle.

But this is my preference based on my years of experience working with many waxes. We all experience scent in our own way and the same FO in the same wax, wick, jar, etc. can smell different to each person.

Guess that wasn't very helpful was it. LOL

When I first posted this thread, I was having a terrible time working with PB and XceL, but I realized that I was overloading the blend with too much FO *hangs head in shame*. I cut the FO down and I have had no trouble since. My tarts are looking smooth, creamy, no noticeable frost, and they throw good, imo. They also pop out of my silicone molds just fine. I still want to try paraffin. I am new to working with wax, and I have yet to try any paraffin, straight or blended.

• Like 1

I'm in love with Clarus 3022. It is a parasoy blend wax -70% soy 30% paraffin. I blend it with a paraffin votive or pillar wax and I get a great tart. I love the rich smell of soy and the longevity of the paraffin. But like mentioned above, everyone has their own "thing." What works for one doesn't always work for another. Good luck!

• 2 years later...
On 6/15/2013 at 6:50 PM, justajesuschick said:

I blended 415 with other waxes. I think I tried it with each-4625, 4627 and 4630.

Which one did it blend best with? I'm looking for a softer wax to make my tarts and chunks, but not too soft