I finally Made a Profit

brown5052

I started my candle/soap making business in 2008. The first few years I lost money, then for a few years I broke even. Now I have finally made a small profit!:yay::yay::yay: I actually have to pay Social Security/Medicare taxes this year on my business income:laugh2:

Thank you guys! I figure that of all the hours I have worked for these past few years, I may have made .01 an hour. But I have finally made a profit and I'm very happy with that and the joy that I get when I'm doing my craft is absolutely priceless!

Wonderful!! That makes it all worth while. I still try to find enough deductions to keep from having a profit. 50% of my vehicle, my cell phone bill, and some other things but I have to admit, it would be great to have enough income to still show a profit after all that. If I show a profit going into December and I know there is some equipment I need the upcoming year I will go ahead and by it so I can expense it. Spent all my profits on a 200 pound wax melter this year but it will sure help this fall when things get crazy. I am an accountant by trade so I tend to be way to analytical in the candle business. Drives my partner/sister nuts since she is the artsy crafty person in the business. But she has learned to by more like me and I have actually learned to have fun and relax.

I did all the deductions possible including a portion of my property taxes, my electric bill etc. I just couldn't find any more deductions! I even purchased four stainless steel tables and two 72" tall stainless steel wire racks, bought a bunch of oils and loaded up on wax. I just plain made a profit last year and this year so far is starting off well, so maybe I'll get to quit my day job sometime in the future.

• 4 months later...

I am very happy to hear you made a profit- question though for those of you who do not and redraider that expenses all profit....my accountant told me this year it will be considered a hobby if I don't show a profit, supposedly after so many years you can't get away with it - so what's the secret?

My accountant is telling me 3 years - then it's a hobby which is ridiculous to me because I went thru all the B.S. of setting up a company name and doing it the right legit way!

I should add also though that I am not "out there" pushing sales either- I do spend way more in testing and stocking than I bring in

Edited by moonshine