I'm IN LOVE...

WITH MY PRESTO POT!

Holy crap, I've had this thing for a month now..tonight I finally decided to yank it out and try it, yes I was unsure how exactly to do it LOL, and OMG 59 candles later I'M IN LOVE! All that double boiling for hours and hours to make a couple dozen candles when I could have gotten in done in NO TIME! I had to finally stop myself from making more :shocked2: I am refraining from going back in there and making clamshell melts...but its SO HARD!

OK I'm done...LOL :embarasse

Sounds like a silly question to ask. But with presto what are your batch sizes? I.e. do you get 20 of the same fragrance? Also if you don't mind me asking where is best place to buy? I am wondering if pricing is worth it.

Sounds like a silly question to ask. But with presto what are your batch sizes? I.e. do you get 20 of the same fragrance? Also if you don't mind me asking where is best place to buy? I am wondering if pricing is worth it.

Wallyworld is the cheapest place to buy your Presto Kitchen Kettle, as far as I know. They used to be about $20.00, but they've gone up: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Kitchen-Kettle-Multi-Cooker-Steamer/14321003

It holds about seven or eight pounds of wax. Just make sure you remove the lid and keep if off while it's turned on or your wax could overheat and burst into flames. It's easy to forget to remove the lid, I had to tape a note to my lid to remind me not to turn it on without removing the lid.

Edited by HorsescentS

Just make sure you remove the lid and keep if off while it's turned on or your wax could overheat and burst into flames. It's easy to forget to remove the lid, I had to tape a note to my lid to remind me not to turn it on without removing the lid.

I always leave the lid on my presto pot and don't see how bursting into flames can happen if you have the temperature control on 200 or lower.

I agree with ChrisR! Check your wax temperature against the knob setting when all wax is melted and adjust if need be. I had a pot that always heated my wax 25* hotter then it showed so I had to turn it down that much every time I used it. Mix your melted wax really good and then take the temp in the middle of the pot!! No reason to heat wax any higher than the 200* HTH

I LOVE my presto pot too!! I double boiled forever, once I started using the pot, I'll never go back!! It's sooooo much faster this way!! DH is going to spout mine for me as soon as I get the stuff, and I'm thinking about getting another so I can make tarts and candles and the same time!!

I always leave the lid on my presto pot and don't see how bursting into flames can happen if you have the temperature control on 200 or lower.

I don't know, I've just read comments on here that the Prestos can suddenly heat up much hotter than the temperature you set it on, and also that if you leave the lid on the heat builds to a higher temp. But if you're saying that the temperature should automatically adjust downward if it senses the temperature rising, I guess it should be safe to leave the lid on.

Edited by HorsescentS

I started right off with a presto and can't imagine doing it any other way- love it

And I can't even remember if mine came with a lid....if it did it got pitched I never used it not seeing a reason to until I read this- it could come on handy when I temper to keep debris floating around out until I reheat it back up

So does the inside insert come out so I could put it on scale to weigh wax? Also what are your typical batch sizes? Right now I use old fashioned metal pitchers. Two at once, and they hold up to four lbs each. But I personally fill them up to three lbs. So one run I can make six lbs, two different fragrances. Is it easy to clean?

So does the inside insert come out so I could put it on scale to weigh wax? Also what are your typical batch sizes? Right now I use old fashioned metal pitchers. Two at once, and they hold up to four lbs each. But I personally fill them up to three lbs. So one run I can make six lbs, two different fragrances. Is it easy to clean?

Not sure what you're talking about as far as an "inside insert". There is a metal insert that comes with it, but I use that as a strainer for veggies. I just use a plastic container to weigh my wax and then dump it in the pot. I make 1/2 lb or 1 lb batches since I am only a hobbyist. Cleaning is as simple as wiping the pot out with a paper towel.

There is not a removable inside insert. Think of it less like a crock pot and more like an electric stock pot. I see people using it at least 3 different ways.

Some use it still as a double boiler, some (like me) use it to melt/heat wax only and others the same but they also scent and dye the wax right in the pot.

Some (like me) ladle the melted wax into a pour pot (mine is a glass pyrex saucepan) while many others have installed a spigot so that they can fill pour pots.

I tare my scale to the weight of my saucepan and ladle melted wax in and weigh, then add scent.

Hope that helps!

It is designed to be a deep fryer, so the metal insert is the basket you put your items to "fry" in...for us it's useful if you dip items in wax. Beware of condensation if you leave the lid on as you probably don't want any water in your wax.

My old one I could set to warm and it would heat to 180, my new one I have to set to 250 to get it to heat to 175. They vary big time, so I use my digital therm constantly while I'm heating my wax. The only

difference is my newer pot is smaller, but I bought it with the spigot installed already so didn't have a choice in size...holds about 5# of wax.

Edited by kandlekrazy

No, you can't remove the insert and set it on a scale to weigh your wax. I just heat up my Presto with a big cafeteria size metal spoon in it, drag my box of 4627 over next to the counter my Presto sits on, then use the heated spoon to scoop lumps of 4627 into my Presto until it's full, reheating the spoon as necessary. It's very easy. To weigh the wax, I set my pre-heated pour pot on the scale, press Tare, and then ladle the melted wax into the pour pot until it's the amount I want. Then I set my wax-filled pour pot back in my electric skillet to heat the wax back up to the temp I want it to be when I add the FO, and I add the dye while I'm waiting for the wax to heat up. Add FO, stir, then pour. When I'm done I turn off my Presto and put the lid on it so whatever wax remains will cool down and be stored right in the Presto pot. You can do that with most waxes, but I noticed the instructions on Victory Blend say you have to use the wax all up after you've heated it and not let it cool and reheat over and over.

Mine has the spout and its MARVELOUS! It's worth the extra $$ (unless you do it yourself) is SO worth it. I honestly haven't been measuring..just tossing it in there and creating magic! I've gotten very good at guessing my weight LOL Just wipe her out with a paper towel when done and wheel my little cart back to its spot. You can find them on eBay with the spouts =) Now, back to my tarts...3 pounds of wax..3 scents and I've done in no time! SO LOVIN' IT!

Where do you get them (presto with spigot) for a decent price?

I always got mine from Heartfelt, who is now oob. I've seen them on Ebay.

Well worth it. I honestly can't imagine having to spoon/ladle melted wax. Prestos with spigot are worth it at any price, imo. Drain melted wax from your Presto into a pour pot, and add fragrance to the pour pot. Same with dye if you dye your candles. I have never mixed fragrance or dye into the wax in the Presto.

I always got mine from Heartfelt, who is now oob. I've seen them on Ebay.

Well worth it. I honestly can't imagine having to spoon/ladle melted wax. Prestos with spigot are worth it at any price, imo. Drain melted wax from your Presto into a pour pot, and add fragrance to the pour pot. Same with dye if you dye your candles. I have never mixed fragrance or dye into the wax in the Presto.

How can you tell how much wax is pouring from your spout into your pour pot? Do you have your Presto up high enough that you can set your pour pot on a scale under the spout and weight the wax as it pours into your pour pot? Or do you mark a line on the inside of your pour pot so you know how far to fill it?

I want to know what to use to mark the line in the pot? Can't scratch it because of the angle & markers aren't working.

How can you tell how much wax is pouring from your spout into your pour pot? Do you have your Presto up high enough that you can set your pour pot on a scale under the spout and weight the wax as it pours into your pour pot? Or do you mark a line on the inside of your pour pot so you know how far to fill it?

I want to know what to use to mark the line in the pot? Can't scratch it because of the angle & markers aren't working.

Hey there Tracey!! I use a presto pot with spigot. No lines needed in pot. Here is what I do. Weigh your pour pot, make note of that. So, if I know that my batch needs 32 oz of wax and my pour pot weighs 8.6 oz then my pour pot (filled with wax) should weigh 40.6 oz. See what I mean? Works every time.

Edited by sisters3