What Happened!!!

lsbennis

Hey everyone, I have to admit that I'm not very good at CP soap which is why I usually stick with HP. I decided to make a batch of CP yesterday using CS Beach Linen mixed with CS Clean Cotton. Here are the ingredients....

Olive Oil

Coconut Oil

Palm Oil

Sunflower Oil

Shea Butter

Castor Oil

Titanium Dioxide

NG...color

....put in wood mold and covered with towels and this is what I ended up with this morning. A huge tectonic fault line and a crackled/mottled inside *shudder* Any thoughts

are much appreciated.post-4600-139458508139_thumb.jpg

post-4600-139458508132_thumb.jpg

The cracking is caused by your FO making the soap really heat up (which you don't know will happen until you use that FO- next time, if there is one don't insulate as much). The mottling, I think, is also caused by this fragrance.....I have learned that certain FO's that really heat up will cause the titanium dioxide to do exactly what happened here. You didn't do anything wrong, just learned that you will use this fragrance again (no titanium, little if no insulation) or let it go. Hope that helps :0)

Edited by kssoaper

I have had a few loaves that mottled like that....actually fit my soap scent though...cracklin birch. I used TD in it also. The fault line is from over heating. Looks like it got way too hot in the mold. In future batches...keep a close eye on it....if it starts to heat up quick...pop it in the freezer!

If I've got one I know heats up I put my mold up on a cookie cooling rack (is that what those are called?)... When I'm not out in my shop (actually a barn my husband finished off for me) I turn the heat down to about 55. If I have poured soap that day I set my wooden molds on towels, cover them with Rubbermaid plastic boxes, then towels on top of all that....if it's one I know gets hot I try and wait until I see it starting to gel, then I cover it up. I like to keep the soap warm for as long as I can....seems to make a better texture in the soap :0)

Concerning the mottling - the TD may not have been mixed in thoroughly. I like to premix a little in water before adding to the batch. This ensures a more even tone. Also the mottle look can happen if you don't make sure you are getting all the oils mixed together thoroughly from the bottom of the pot. It is the white mixing with the yellowish base. When you get the trace consistency you are looking for, take a spatula and go all around the sides and bottom, making sure it is completely mixed, do this a few times. The stick blender won't get all of this. Then you can start to add your second color.

I agree with Kitn about wood molds. I don't insulate or cover my wooden molds. I actually get less ash and less cracking now. I don't know why soap instructors always say to insulate the crap out of the soap. Most of the oils I work with will over heat even without any scent. And covering the soap causes more ash, whether you peek or not. The heat causes condensation.