Activated Charcoal

Candybee

i use it only for colorant..I am like you, I have not found where it is a benefit..but it does make pretty swirls..I don't use much..as to much will make grey bubbles..

Once I made a total black soap with white swirls..and it had grey bubbles..

but i think sometimes in peoples own minds, when they see activated charcoal, they think it is a benefit..but I don't promote it, other than a colorant..

This is what I've read about activated charcoal.

Activated charcoal is a miracle of nature. It attracts other substances to its surface and holds them there by absorption. It absorbs thousands of times its own weight in gases, heavy metals, poisons, and other chemicals; thus it renders them ineffective and harmless. Used in soap, it's a detox powerhouse! It deeply cleanses and clears your skin, unclogs pores, removes impurities and dead skin cells from the top layer of the skin, resulting in supple, delicate and smooth skin.

Not sure if this is true but I've seen some very reliable soap makers make this claim in their soaps.

I use NG's. Here is their description cut and pasted from their site: Activated Charcoal Powder: Natural way to color your soap black. To achieve a nice black soap, use 1 tablespoon activated charcoal per pound of soap. Activated charcoal is also used as a detoxifying agent in soap. Activated charcoal is a natural odor absorber.

HTH! My male clients love it in the Di Gio dupe.

This is good news. I got is as a natural colorant but was hoping it was also beneficial to skin.

I got the natural colorants from the Soap Making Resource and was pleasently surprised when they added the activated charcoal in the package. Some of the other colorants are useful for different skin types and that got me wondering about the charcoal.

It is super cleansing, it helps detoxify and draws out impurities. But remember you can not make any claims only that it is cleansing. It is great for acne and helps reduce pores. My grand daughters use it and love it. It odes stain washclothes and bubbles will be gray to black. HTH

I use the activated bamboo charcoal from Buy Activated Charcoal (http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/product/activated_charcoal_powder/bamboo/bulk). It is very, very fine and mixes easily with water. Don't need much to get a nice black color. I like the bamboo charcoal better than the stuff from NG. They told me that was a hardwood charcoal.

I don't make any claims, but I do give to people that generally have skin problems like eczema or psoriasis. Gave some to my DIL, didn't say anything about it, just gave her some bars. She came back to me wanting more because it was the only thing she has ever used to get rid of her eczema. She likes my regular soap as well, not as drying. But her favorite is 'one of those black bars....'.

It's a great colorant as well.

eta: They have some bamboo charcoal soap on their site as well. You can see how well it colors the soap. http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/product/B-8231

Edited by ProudMarineMom

I'd have to go find my notes, but 1TBS ppo is a good starting point. Just be sure to mix it in some water first. That was with the bamboo charcoal. I didn't get quite as nice of a color with the charcoal from NG. I can send you a sample of both types of charcoal if you would like, see which version you prefer.

Thanks for the offer. I already have some and wanted to try out and not sure if I will even use it again. I just want to test it out for color, then try out the soap bar and see how it feels after using it. If I ever really get into the charcoal I may want to compare notes with you.

• 2 weeks later...
This is what I've read about activated charcoal.

Activated charcoal is a miracle of nature. It attracts other substances to its surface and holds them there by absorption. It absorbs thousands of times its own weight in gases, heavy metals, poisons, and other chemicals; thus it renders them ineffective and harmless. Used in soap, it's a detox powerhouse! It deeply cleanses and clears your skin, unclogs pores, removes impurities and dead skin cells from the top layer of the skin, resulting in supple, delicate and smooth skin.

Not sure if this is true but I've seen some very reliable soap makers make this claim in their soaps.

I'm 50-50 on this. I use it, but I wouldn't say it's a detox powerhouse. I would say if you use too much though, it can show in pores.

I made a batch a week ago using 1 tbs pp of soap oils. My soaps are a beautiful shade of dark gray but not black. I didn't want to go overboard. I also used aloe juice as my liquid and 2 large aloe leaves I pureed in my juicer. Will see how it works in a few weeks.

I also made a batch last week and I used 1 T/ppo and mine came out black and it suds up white.

Didn't you find it a bit messy to work with? It is soooo light it wanted to float out of the bag when I opened it up. Then the charcoal stuck like glue in my little mixing cup and washing it (the cup) was not easy.

Like others have mentioned, I really prefer the activated bamboo charcoal over the hard wood charcoal. The particles of the bamboo are much smaller and mix better into the CP IMO. 1-2 teaspoons of Bamboo in a 4lb block gives a pretty saturated black color with white lather. Hardwood takes more to give true black color and I found was scratchy.

Bamboo blends with other colors (like micas) really well, which opens a whole new pallet of color options.

Didn't you find it a bit messy to work with? It is soooo light it wanted to float out of the bag when I opened it up. Then the charcoal stuck like glue in my little mixing cup and washing it (the cup) was not easy.

It wasn't too bad except when I had to seal the bag. I tried to let the air out before I zipped it and a cloud of charcoal came out. And yes it did stick to my measuring spoon but not my little bowl. Weird.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay-- I couldn't wait for the bar to cure. I have been washing with it for a week now. It still needs to cure a couple more weeks but I don't care. Its beginning to suds up now but it does make pale gray lather. The charcoal I used must be the regular but it doesn't scratch. No scratchiness at all. I got it from www.soapmakingresource.com.

I think next time I make it I want to check out the bamboo activated charcoal and see if I like it better. It would be nice to get a solid black bar that doesn't give light gray lather.

Also, I think I would like to scent it with anise. I was thinking about a nice licorice type scent would compliment the black soap.

Edited by Candybee