Remote Stocking Booth Experience?

Moneypenny

Hi everyone!  Does anyone have any experience with a remote stocking booth?  This means that you ship items to be stocked in a booth?  I live in Illinois and the craft mall is in Texas.  It is just the monthly fee and the remote stocking is free.  Any experience?  If so was it positive?  Just something I am considering!  Thanks so much! 

Just now, Moneypenny said:

Hi everyone!  Does anyone have any experience with a remote stocking booth?  This means that you ship items to be stocked in a booth?  I live in Illinois and the craft mall is in Texas.  It is just the monthly fee and the remote stocking is free.  Any experience?  If so was it positive?  Just something I am considering!  Thanks so much! 

Is this like wholesale (as in they pay for the product minus the stocking fee up front?) or is this more like consignment (as in you send the product and stocking fee and they reimburse you what has sold?) 

If it's the former, and like wholesale, I'd say yeah, go for it. If it's like consignment, I'd be leery. With consignment there is nothing protecting you from theft, breakage or other type of loss (other than making a claim with your insurance) 

It sounds like consignment like they put out the products for her and they just don't charge for the extra stock but keep it in a backroom and put out as needed.

So she is really just renting booth space and they man it and stock it for her.  That's what  I think it is.

Moneypenny....question....Have you been to this craft mall and seen it?  Where would your booth be?   Do you get a choice?   I'll tell you what Moneypenney I used to do a lot of booth rentals and from experience I like to have full control over how my booth looks like.   I want it displayed a certain way and I have always always brought my own stock and would usually stop in at the mall or where ever it was to straighten up, dust, move things around to my liking once or twice a week, etc....I happen to be very critical of how I want my things presented.  From my experience and seeing how shops like this run, your at their mercy and you just have to hope that someone is going to take care of your booth like you would, and hate to tell you this....it's not like you would want.  Most shops have employees working there just punching a time clock and don't give a crap about the little details of what I just said.  Me personally, I wouldn't do it.  Sorry to give a negative to this post, but that is how I feel about it.

But anyway,....on another note......good seeing you here!   I've missed you!!!!:hello:

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

Ditto on consignment. I wouldn't ever do it again. Learned my lessons on that.

I'm with Trappeur on this, how well do you know the booth and how they are kept? If you are blind on this I personally would pass. I would have to be very convinced its well kept and maintained. Consignment no, wholesale could be okay if you know the answers to these questions and are okay with the answers.

• Like 1

I tried consignment once and never again.  Was a pain in the arse.  Then they went out of business and didn't tell anyone and I lost some stock too in the deal.   They don't promote or take care of your products. 

• Like 2

I do mostly consignment. I love it. I've done once in a store in another state, Texas as it happens, and they closed but it wasn't a big deal. I'm sending out soap to a different store also Texas on consignment.

Now my situation maybe, probably is, different, these are small towns in an area where everyone knows everyone.

Where in Texas, is it a mall in say a town like Abilene or a HUGE MALL in Houston? That would make a big difference to me. Do you know anyone in the area who can check on things for you? Like secret shop the store a couple of times a year?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shari said:

I tried consignment once and never again.  Was a pain in the arse.  Then they went out of business and didn't tell anyone and I lost some stock too in the deal.   They don't promote or take care of your products. 

That happened to me too. The store went bankrupt and closed abruptly. Fortunately I only had about a dozen candles in the shop at the time but still... I did not recover either the candles or my money. If you don't think that can't happen to you I can tell you it can and does.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iansmommaya said:

Where in Texas, is it a mall in say a town like Abilene or a HUGE MALL in Houston? That would make a big difference to me. Do you know anyone in the area who can check on things for you? Like secret shop the store a couple of times a year?

I like the idea of a secret shopper. That might be a good option if you can't be there.

• Like 1

Hi everyone!  Wow!  Thanks for all of the wonderful insights!!  Great thoughts!  This is just something that I ran across as I was trolling for craft mall booth rentals.  I do one locally and I love it and it has really paid off for me.  Remote stock is something I have never done but was just curious.  You all remind me of all of the pitfalls that can happen and do happen!  This is a large craft and antique mall in Waco, Texas.  I love the idea of a secret shopper but I don't know a soul in Texas!  I only contacted them for more information but I am really thinking this is a road I don't want to go down!  I initially was hesitant and you have reminded me that I am also picky about my displays and I go to my booth at the local craft mall at least once a week to keep tabs on the stock and straighten displays.  I certainly would not have this option as I live in Central Illinois!  This is why I love this board!  I can get all kinds of experiences and advice!  Trapp great to see you too!  I have not heard from them yet but I really think I have already decided to stick with my local craft malls in driving distance!  Thanks so much everyone!!!!

• Like 2

Well it seemed like it was a popular place and they have been in business for about 25 years and they pride themselves on helping handmade vendors.  I will just have to see what information they send me and make a decision from there.  Thanks iansmommaya!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't done 'remote' exactly but I have done markets where I set up, leave for days or weeks while they sell and handle everything, then come back when the market ends and take down my table/stock/whatever is left. Great experiences so far, and I have two going right now. 

If you like... PM me the info on this place.  I'm a Waco native-- and I can ask my stepmom to go check the place out (I'm up north now, but visit frequently).  I can't think of a place like that off the top of my head in Waco, but I have been gone a few years.

• Like 1

Yes we do it in our store.  They pay a monthly rent fee and ship us their items we stage them instead of them staging them.  Usually our vendors come once a year to just see their booth and always bring stock.  I send them pics in between plus they get a nightly email with what sold (our system handles that).  It's great for our long distance people.  Obviously, we only do it with small items, soaps,  jewelry.  I even hesitate to do glassware.

• Like 2