Oils from Flaming Candle....yes or no?

Nickie

I have ordered around 60 oils from Flaming Candle for testing and I am not having much luck getting hot throw out of most of them. It is really hit or miss with all of the ones I have tried, but most are misses. 

What is your experience with Flaming Candle Oils?  

I am still in the testing phase and have been for nearly a year. Still testing with several wax combos. But it is looking like my wax blend will be 4797 votive and 4630. I have tried 6006 and I can't get that wax to work for me (and it's too bad cause I really love it). I have had a few successes with flaming candle oils in the above waxes, but mostly duds.  I would say it's about 1 success for every 10 failures. Again, I have purchased tons of oils from them. 

I am heating to 200, adding frangrance at 180-185, pouring around 160. I'm testing in both 13w and 20w burners. I have a very wide open space, but I am able to get other vendor wax/frangrance to throw in my house, so I know it's possible. I'm really at a point where I'm frustrated and don't know what to do. Thanks for helping me! 

3 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I use several of their oils with great success.  I use 6006 and/or 4630.  What wax are you using?

I am also still in the testing phases.  However, I could not get birthday cake from them to throw for me and my sister reported back that it wasnt great in her home either.  Looking back at my notes, their zucchini bread and vanilla b crunch threw decent.  Their toasted marshmallow was ok as well, but is missing something to my nose.  I may go back and try it again though as it has over 30 great reviews on that one.  In all fairness, it may be because they are one of the first I started with for testing, so it may have been my technique and/or wax combos.

I have never used 4797, so I can't speak to that.  For tarts, I use 4625/4630 blend or 4625/6006, and about 8% FO load.  Heat to 185, add FO, remove from heat, stir 1-2 minutes.  I use 25w bulb warmers and Glade warmers.  I can tell you with a certainty that with one of the other of those blends the following scents from TFC throw very well:  Blue Sugar, Patchouli Amber, Kentucky Bourbon, Amish Harvest, Falling Leaves, Pink Sands, Fruit Loops, Pumpkin Latte, Earthen Oak, Firewood, Wild Mtn. Honey, Woodland Foliage, Caribbean Salsa, Strawberries & Champagne, Flowering Boxwood, Hickory BBQ, Orange & Chili Pepper, Mediterranean Fig, Ocean Mist, Tea & Cakes, Pineapple Cilantro.  That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I have tried a lot from them.

There are some misses, but no more so than any other company I've used. I order wicks, jars and sometimes wax from them, so I get a lot of samples.  I don't test all of them in wax, some go in B&B or room sprays.  Some of the florals are just lovely, but I think would be light in wax...Floral Muse is my favorite for aroma beads and sprays.   Sandalwood Rose is beautiful, but light in wax.  Same for a couple of the Jo Malone dupes.  Their Butt Naked is weird, and Raspberry Jam was a recent dud for me.  I love the Tobacco Caramel, but I can't get a strong candle out of it no matter how hard I try.  It does pretty well in tarts though.

My tarts do benefit from a cure, even 100% paraffin.  I don't know if it's the wax or maybe my nose just needs a break, but it does seem to help.  Are you testing them immediately?  Or maybe you have candle nose? 

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, bfroberts said:

I have never used 4797, so I can't speak to that.  For tarts, I use 4625/4630 blend or 4625/6006, and about 8% FO load.  Heat to 185, add FO, remove from heat, stir 1-2 minutes.  I use 25w bulb warmers and Glade warmers.  I can tell you with a certainty that with one of the other of those blends the following scents from TFC throw very well:  Blue Sugar, Patchouli Amber, Kentucky Bourbon, Amish Harvest, Falling Leaves, Pink Sands, Fruit Loops, Pumpkin Latte, Earthen Oak, Firewood, Wild Mtn. Honey, Woodland Foliage, Caribbean Salsa, Strawberries & Champagne, Flowering Boxwood, Hickory BBQ, Orange & Chili Pepper, Mediterranean Fig, Ocean Mist, Tea & Cakes, Pineapple Cilantro.  That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I have tried a lot from them.

There are some misses, but no more so than any other company I've used. I order wicks, jars and sometimes wax from them, so I get a lot of samples.  I don't test all of them in wax, some go in B&B or room sprays.  Some of the florals are just lovely, but I think would be light in wax...Floral Muse is my favorite for aroma beads and sprays.   Sandalwood Rose is beautiful, but light in wax.  Same for a couple of the Jo Malone dupes.  Their Butt Naked is weird, and Raspberry Jam was a recent dud for me.  I love the Tobacco Caramel, but I can't get a strong candle out of it no matter how hard I try.  It does pretty well in tarts though.

My tarts do benefit from a cure, even 100% paraffin.  I don't know if it's the wax or maybe my nose just needs a break, but it does seem to help.  Are you testing them immediately?  Or maybe you have candle nose? 

Is that Kentucky Bourbon a good scent? I always wanted a great bourbon/whiskey scent.

I've had great success with Flaming oils.  I use C3 and 1 oz pp.  I mostly make melts so I really haven't tested any but 2 of the oils in candles and they were 2 of the strongest in melts.   I've probably used about 25 of their scents in melts, a few are mixers but I haven't trashed any so far.

Kentucky Bourbon to me is not a great bourbon scent, but it sells like crazy for me so I'm leaving it with the name and with no mixer.  I bought Bourbon Soaked Raisins in my last order but have yet to test it.

On 5/10/2017 at 9:02 PM, Karen M said:

Is that Kentucky Bourbon a good scent? I always wanted a great bourbon/whiskey scent.

Karen, it's just like Kentucky Bourbon for real.....In 464 it is Super!

Trappeur

• Like 1

On 5/6/2017 at 3:51 PM, Nickie said:

I have ordered around 60 oils from Flaming Candle for testing and I am not having much luck getting hot throw out of most of them. It is really hit or miss with all of the ones I have tried, but most are misses. 

What is your experience with Flaming Candle Oils?  

Nickie,

If you could give us more info I'm sure a lot could offer suggestioins....

What wax are you using.

What is your procedure of how you make your candles, ie:  pour temperature - what temp do you add oil - did your wax cure? - what style jars and wicks are you usiing?

Flaming is my main supplier and I have a lot of great results with lots of their oils....but like with any and all companies, they all have hits and misses.   60 oils seems an awfrul lot to not have good results.

Trappeur

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am still in the testing phase. But it is looking like my final blend with he as follows:

4796 and 4630 at 40/60

or 

KY tart and 4630 20/80

i have tested their oils in about 12 different waxes. But again, the above looks like it will be my blends. I am about the go into the final getting phase. I am not having the same frangrance oil problems with RE oils....just an FYI. 

I am making tarts. Heat to 200 add frangrance between 180-175. Pour around 160. I let them cure for a couple of days before testing. Min 48 hours and Max of 2-3 weeks. Hope this helps answer my question cause I would love to use Flaming Candle as much as possible, as I love their customer service. I recently had a long convo with another tart maker on this platform and she too was having problems getting hot throw with FC oils but not with RE oils. Thanks for your help!

On 5/12/2017 at 9:14 AM, Trappeur said:

Nickie,

If you could give us more info I'm sure a lot could offer suggestioins....

What wax are you using.

What is your procedure of how you make your candles, ie:  pour temperature - what temp do you add oil - did your wax cure? - what style jars and wicks are you usiing?

Flaming is my main supplier and I have a lot of great results with lots of their oils....but like with any and all companies, they all have hits and misses.   60 oils seems an awfrul lot to not have good results.

Trappeur

On 5/6/2017 at 9:07 PM, bfroberts said:

Thank you for all of this amazing info!!  

I ahve trued many many of the same you have, but I couldn't get a good throw on flowering boxwood, ocean mist, or blue sugar. I did get decent throw out of Kentucky Burbon and C. salsa. Sandwood Rose was one of my favs, but no throw on that one or Tobacco Caramel. 

I have tried your blend of 4630 with 4625 and I can't get much out of it. A couple of hours, maybe. The 4786 does better for me. It was the same with 6006 and 4625....in fact this blend was worse for me than the first blend you mentioned. 

I dont think its candle nose, I switch up frangrances frequently and can small OOTB. I will say, I have a very wide open space in which I am testing.....over 1000 sq ft. I am testing in 3 melters, 1oz of wax total. 

You've got something else going on because their Blue Sugar is strong as hell in pretty much any application.  I cannot bear it after a while and have to turn it off.  Caribbean Salsa is another strong one.  Seriously. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2017 at 9:44 PM, kandlekrazy said:

I've had great success with Flaming oils.  I use C3 and 1 oz pp.  I mostly make melts so I really haven't tested any but 2 of the oils in candles and they were 2 of the strongest in melts.   I've probably used about 25 of their scents in melts, a few are mixers but I haven't trashed any so far.

Kentucky Bourbon to me is not a great bourbon scent, but it sells like crazy for me so I'm leaving it with the name and with no mixer.  I bought Bourbon Soaked Raisins in my last order but have yet to test it.

OOB I looove Bourbon soaked raisins, Trapper turned me on to that one - its great ! The kentucky bourbon I didn't like as much.Hows it do in wax melts ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Moonstar said:

OOB I looove Bourbon soaked raisins, Trapper turned me on to that one - its great ! The kentucky bourbon I didn't like as much.Hows it do in wax melts ?

The Kentucky Bourbon is what I use in soy melts and it sells really well.  I personally don't get it but hey, there's a scent for everyone and we don't all like the same.  I've learned I need to make what I don't like, lol, hard lesson.

• Like 1