Where is this?

lovemylabs

I know I came across a thread about Cinnamon FO (or possibly EO) in soapmaking. I can't find it anywhere! I've come across Cinnamon (powder) added to the soap, but I'm looking for the thread that talks about a bath/body safe Cinnamon Oil. Anyone know where this thread is? I'm looking for a supplier that has a good Cinnamon Fragrance Oil (or EO) for soapmaking.

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you Barbara!! I found a couple that sounded great, but didn't want to pay for shipping for just one fragrance oil. One of the suppliers was WSP, I think and shipping... ouch!! ( I don't know why I didn't look at RE!!! We need more Little Black Dress and a couple other oils from them...so this is perfect!) Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
NG's Sinfully Hot is skin safe & a great cinnamon.

That one is 'skin safe' only at a VERY low rate (.07% or .0112 oz of FO per 16oz of oils) NOT at the typical 5-6% (.8 oz- 1oz PPO) people usually default to with soap. Basically wave the bottle in the vicinity of the product and you're at the limit.

IMO something with a usage rate as low as that really isn't skin safe. In fact, that very FO has changed back and forth between skin safe at that rate and NOT SKIN SAFE in big red letters on their site about every other month.

From the NG site:

Bath Oils, Soaps, Bath Gels Maximum Use .07%Lotions & Perfumes Maximum Use .07%

Just because you don't have an immediate skin reaction to using it doesn't mean it won't cause serious irritation to others who use your soap.

• 1 month later...

Bumpin this since we finally got around to doing it. So....we ordered Cinnamon (Bark) EO from New Directions. It's fantastic!! We added 2.2 ounces for a 3 lb loaf. GOOD LORD!!! I went to shower with it and it's fine for a bath and body bar, but holy cow, i washed my face with it and it felt like I had a sunburn! I rinsed my face, looked in the mirror and it looked like I had gone to the tropics on vacation! Next batch we're going to reduce the amount of eo. Maybe around 1.75 ounces per 3 lb loaf. Anyone that soaps this, we have a customer that asked us to put ground cinnamon in it...what do you think? I've never added ground cinnamon to soap. What do you recommend we start with? Thanks for your input.

Bumpin this since we finally got around to doing it. So....we ordered Cinnamon (Bark) EO from New Directions. It's fantastic!! We added 2.2 ounces for a 3 lb loaf. GOOD LORD!!! I went to shower with it and it's fine for a bath and body bar, but holy cow, i washed my face with it and it felt like I had a sunburn! I rinsed my face, looked in the mirror and it looked like I had gone to the tropics on vacation! Next batch we're going to reduce the amount of eo. Maybe around 1.75 ounces per 3 lb loaf. Anyone that soaps this, we have a customer that asked us to put ground cinnamon in it...what do you think? I've never added ground cinnamon to soap. What do you recommend we start with? Thanks for your input.

EOs are usually used cut to about half the amount you'd use for an FO, but with cinnamon being as potent an irritant as it is I would think even less for it.

• 1 month later...

Bumpin' again since the initial testing of the Cinnamon EO in our first batch. For our latest batch we only added .70 ounces to a 3 pound batch. I used it last night, and to me it's perfect. Still had a nice strong scent and as for the "hotness"...this didn't have the words of Alicia Keys screaming from my head (...This Girl Is On Fire....) We could have added a tad bit more...maybe. But I'm pretty pleased with this one. Just wanted to update ya.

Lovemylabs I made a cinnamon soap batch from SGS Cinnamon. Theirs is also a soap safe cinnamon. OMG it smells sooooo good. The cinnamon is strong and sticking. As a matter of fact it is one of those FOs that smells better as the soap cures. Its only 2 weeks old so I am still patiently waiting for it to cure to try out. I used a full oz per lb of soap oils. Will report back how I like it once I tried it. (I may not be able to wait much longer as I am dying to find out!)