results of fall candle party

JI

Hello! Thought I would post this. Invited 50 people to fall party at my house. I guess it is an open house since I make the candles. Had 20 RSVP yes. 17 showed and I made $750 in sales. Party ran from 2-4 pm. I spent $40 on food. Invite was an evite. Sold 70 % candles and 30 percent melts. It was so busy I forgot to pitch them on their hosting a party. I think I will email out a thanks and do it there. I also got $75 in followup orders.

What type of hostess incentive should I offer? I was thinking Hostess gift could be one large 16 oz candle. Then 10% of sales, she would get in product. Is that too meager?

Look at some of the candle party sites & see what they offer hostesses. You could offer the 16oz candle for booking a party & having 10 buying guests. Every 10 buying guests offer something else. Maybe 10% of sales & if she reaches a certain amount of sales more incentives. Remember to stress buying guests if that's what you decide to use. 20 people could be there just for the food & not buy a thing.

Hello! Thought I would post this. Invited 50 people to fall party at my house. I guess it is an open house since I make the candles. Had 20 RSVP yes. 17 showed and I made $750 in sales. Party ran from 2-4 pm. I spent $40 on food. Invite was an evite. Sold 70 % candles and 30 percent melts. It was so busy I forgot to pitch them on their hosting a party. I think I will email out a thanks and do it there. I also got $75 in followup orders.

What type of hostess incentive should I offer? I was thinking Hostess gift could be one large 16 oz candle. Then 10% of sales, she would get in product. Is that too meager?

I know this isnt exactly what you are asking for, but I thought I would throw this out there. I dont sell candles (only make tarts for myself) but I used to be a candle demonstrator years ago. One idea that you could possibly pitch for potential future sales would be to offer a candle of the month club. The premise is that you get 12 committed people to sign up for 1 year. Each member is assigned a "month" to be their month. Each month at the same time of the month the 12 members would place an order for a minimum of 1 candle of their choice in whichever size you deem as the required order minimum, and the person of the month would get a free candle of their choice that month. By doing this you would have to be willing to give away 1 candle per month, but in return you would get a guaranteed sale of 11 candles per month for a year. I dont know, it is just an idea. I never did it myself so I cant say how successful this would be but I know a few people that did this and they had several candle of the month groups of 12 going at the same time. I guess if you could get 12 truly committed people to sign up and follow through, it would be worth it, but if someone dropped out that might cause problems. Anyhow, just throwing the idea out there for what it is worth.

Wow!!! That's an amazing amount of sales.

Here are my hostess benefits:

- Your own private sale of 20% your order.

-$5 in merchandise for every party booked by one of your guests. This can be redeemed AFTER the party is done

I don't like people to feel obligated to buy so I don't give them incentives for if the people invited purchase anything. Oh, at least 5 guests have to be there. Lower than that and it's not really worth the time sometimes.

These are all great tips. Thanks. I just sent out email thanking people. I pitched the candle party. Hopefully someone will bite. I am still getting in orders from the people who couldnt show. So when all is said and done we are looking at 875. Both 8 oz and 16 oz were evenly popular however mayybe more on the 16 oz double wicked apothecary. My 8 oz is an oval hex. Top flavour was home for the holidays. But cinn spice, apple harvest, beach linens, herbes de provence and amaretto were too. Surprisingly vanilla, pumpkin pie and pecan pie were not that big.

Someone at the party just committed to another candle party at her house in a month. I upped the hostess gift per your suggestions and am still sticking to 10% from sales in merchandise. I still can't get over the fact that Vanilla didn't sell. Maybe it is too pedestrian?

Edited by JI

These are all great tips. Thanks. I just sent out email thanking people. I pitched the candle party. Hopefully someone will bite. I am still getting in orders from the people who couldnt show. So when all is said and done we are looking at 875. Both 8 oz and 16 oz were evenly popular however mayybe more on the 16 oz double wicked apothecary. My 8 oz is an oval hex. Top flavour was home for the holidays. But cinn spice, apple harvest, beach linens, herbes de provence and amaretto were too. Surprisingly vanilla, pumpkin pie and pecan pie were not that big.

Congrats on your party! I wanted to add from what you said about what sold well. It seems that maybe that crowd had a more sophisticated sniffer if that can happen. The more complex scents seem to sell and the more everyday (expected) ones didn't. JMO. Hope your next ones do well :-)

Edited by jackbenimble