Introduction & beginner help

Howdy,

Just joined the forum and wanted to ask a few questions and learn. I may throw an odd ball at the majority of you when I say I'm a 21 yr old male looking to get into candle making. :lipsrseal lol.

The reasoning... I would be lieing if I said it was only because I am interesting in making them for my own personal use. Hopfully I don't come off in a negative/rude manner when I say I'm always looking to start a new small at home business. I have a few school loans currently trying to be paid off and going through more as I type, Not too mention a girlfriend of 4 years dreaming daily of an engagment ring, that I can not provide with my current income... :sad2: So, yes I would like to eventually make candles at home and start a small business. I've looked at several options but I beleive this is my best bet for a "at home/cheapest" route to start. I'm VERY excited for a lot of my female friends and family love candles! so worst case.... I can just make some for gifts, which would be fine. I've been scouting around on the internet the past couple weeks looking for a descent starter kit, and wondered what you guys (gals) thought of this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Complete-Soy-Wax-Container-Candle-Making-Kit-Candle-Making-Supplies-/120965356043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2a18da0b

pros? cons? recommend something different?

I appreciate ALL .02 good and bad, and apologize if this is in the wrong area. Just looking for some feedback. Thank you all for future input and hope I can share my experiences with you guys along the way!

-J

"at home/cheapest"

That ain't gonna happen, lol. If your passion isn't for candles & wax, I wouldn't even start it. If it's just for the business aspect, I'd look for something else. An engagement ring is much cheaper than starting this business ;)

With that said, I wouldn't buy anything till you read these forums upside down & backward. You have to figure out what kind of wax you want to use (soy, paraffin, palm, etc) Then pick a jar, one jar and master that jar.

That's my :2cents:

Thanks beth for the input, I agree starting a business isn't the cheapest by anymeans. I guess I meant compared to the majority of things you could possibly pursue. I'm a fulltime firefighter for the state and am always trying to get things going on the side. I currently do leather tooling custom orders like wallets, bible covers, belts, etc... But with most things"custom" people do not want to pay the extra dollar, so more or less it has turned into a hobby. lol. I just thought this would be a fun craft and maybe a potential to earn a little dollar or two... But I do understand where your coming from, any one else?

Thanks

-J

"Cheap" and candle making for a business aren't supposed to go into the same sentence lol. It's a lot like being a mad chemist, pyro, accountant, salesman, researcher, and businessman all at the same time. You're looking at a minimum of $5K to start up a business like this. That's for supplies: manufacturing equipment, any molds, fragrance oils, wax, wicks, colorant, etc. I say 5K because you have to test before you even THINK of selling one. It can take months for a single candle. And each type of wax has its own challenges.

As for the starter kit you linked, I'm not familiar with that company at all. But you aren't going to master this with just 4 jars and some wicks. I would suggest looking at other suppliers first and comparing what they have. Another thing to think about is that each company's fragrance oils are going to act differently in different waxes. Start with wax preference first. Then figure out what you want to offer on your first fragrance oil. Then work on testing those combinations. And in the meantime, read, read, read. Go to the library, or use google to find basic candle making instructions. It all sounds easy, but in practice, not so much.

Most of us have been doing this for a long time, but I'm sure everyone will agree that sometimes things go wonky on all of us. If a fragrance oil changes formula, it burns differently, for example. Same with waxes.

Another thought: get a good digital scale if you plan on doing any of this. The kit you linked doesn't have one. You will need it. Don't ever trust a kit or supplier to be 100% accurate on weights of product. They will occasionally make a mistake, so you HAVE to measure everything for yourself to be sure. Otherwise your recipe ends up skewed. If you ever took a chemistry class, it's very similar. You have to keep notes and be able to reproduce your "experiment" with the same outcome if you want a successful candle line.

Oh, and get something to clean up with. Regular cleaners don't take candle colorant out of tile. Not much does. :) It's messy in this line of work LOL

Here's just something to think about: Would you have a bake sale if you'd never made pies and cupcakes? Would you open a jewelery store if you'd never made jewelry? Would you plan to sell afghans if you'd never knitted or crochet?

How do you know if you like making candles? How do you know if you're good at it?

Beth is right...unless you're passionate about it, be best to look into other venues. There are SO many variables to contend with while developing your 'system'. You will easily spend well over 1K just in start up and testing alone and even then may not have devoloped a candle that would be acceptable for resale. This is by no means an inexpensive craft. If you do love candles, have lots of spare time and cash for testing and development, then read up on waxes and decide whether you want to work with paraffin or soy, then which type after that. Peak offers several kits along with 2lb samples of most of their waxes, and have a very good reputation for quality and customer service.

Both above posters gave good advice, I know it took me close to a year before I had my 'system' down and had a high quality product.

Best advice is pour over this forum...you'll discover just how frustrating and rewarding this can be...hth

Candle making can be a great hobby and a great way to create gifts and fill your house with candles and scents. However, if you want to make a truly great candle and your goal is to sell a safe and quality product you are going to invest a lot of time and money.

I started "playing" 15 months ago. I'm about $1 500 in and I'm just now ready to start a line with about 25 scents. I've gotten a jar I like, and packaging etc and I'm ready to order wax by the case instead of by the slab.

Candle making for me came from losing my job. I walked away from a job that I loved because of my boss, the owner of a caterer/restaurant/bakery. I just could not be treated so poorly when I poured my heart and soul into that job. The kicker was when I was told "You don't have the brains that God gave a cabbage."

So, now that I was jobless and depressed and beaten down I turned to my art (textile artist) and began to fill my house with rugs and blankets and quilts. I was always burning candles, some scented, some not, and I found that many just didn't burn well. Scent didn't throw or made you gag, wicks didn't burn well or burned too fast. I picked up a 100% soy candle that put so much black soot on my wall that the whole thing had to be scrubbed and I threw away the drape on the window.

As many of my endeavors began, I figured I could do better. I had some candlemaking supplies on hand already. I bought paraffin on clearance with a few molds and wicking. I meant to make some, I just never did. HA!! I had no idea what I was getting myself in for.

I can now look at a wick and figure out what kind it is, I can walk into a room and tell you the fragrance from the candle in the house, I can smell a perfume and tell you some of the ingredients of the scent, I can look at a pillar and tell you what it's made of, and if the wick is doing it's job or not. I have burned so many candles and just WATCHED that I should make one of those documentaries like a wildlife photographer, only with candles. I am a tedious, process person to begin with, so this has fit right in.

But I am now making some beautiful candles, and some great smelling ones. And it has taken up a LOT of time, and a good chunk of money. I didn't go into it wanting to create a business, but I am in the process of starting a business because I have fallen in love with the whole process, as maddening as it is!!!! It's science and art, just like baking (I'm a Pro-Baker in my former life) and I love it!!! :wink2:

Everything I had put, the ladies above me said. I can't stress how expensive it is to do this, and I don't even do candles ! ( why? because I don't have the patience for the massive , exact, frustrating testing, I had the money but found out as much as all the other stuff cost when I started up, putting candles into the mix and having to test for a year or more and not return any profit, wasn't a good fit for me).

Don't give up because of what we've all told you. Trust me, it really is a lot worse than anyone mentioned in some cases, but at the same time, it's really fun!

I wanted to suggest to you that maybe , if you're wanting to cut down your timeframe on being able to safely sell a product, you look into other areas of this business, instead of candles.. and you can work on the candles when time and money allow it.

Some things you might look into are :

Melt and pour soap ( its not hard, but it does take some testing and learning and totally different supplies than from wax products)

Bath and Body products ( a lot of people buy the bulk bases from different supplies, add scent and sometimes extra additives , package and resale )

Wax Melts ( scented wax that you use in tart or some oil burners that is just melted by indirect heat to release the scent)

Dipped items ( scented, wax dipped items like stuffed animals, Toilet Paper ( do a search on that, you'll get inspired and giggle at the same time .. it's a room air freshener and it's fun and EASY )

Oils for scent that use oil burners ( these are not "straight uncut " oils, you have to add an agent to it so that it's safe to heat up )

Those are just a few of the things you can do in this business that while they do require testing, it's going to cut down a lot on that time. But believe it or not you will still require :

INSURANCE !

Do another search for insurance on the top up there. You'll find some of the stories of finding good, AFFORDABLE insurance that will work with all the intriquicies (sp) of this business rather ... hard sometimes. ( yes, there are instances of peoples homeowners insurance being dropped when the insurance co found out what they were doing, because this stuff is flammable) then you have to have liability insurance. Mine runs 700.00 a year and I have 2 million in coverage. (I think 500 will get you 1 mil )... trust me, you know how sue happy people are.. THIS IS A MUST!

( if in doubt, find the thread about the lady who someone was trying to bully or possibly sue, because she put a tart warmer on her coffee table or something like that, and it "ruined it". ( the safety warning for the product was plainly in sight and in place and the woman was just dumb and screwed her own stuff up and wanted the crafter to pay for her stupidity ) I can't remember the exact ins and outs of that one, but it's in the archives and it just mainly had to do with some silly woman wanting something for her own screw up. (EDIT: now that I think about it, Im wanting to think it was the tart burner/warmer that was the issue, but the customer wanted the crafter who did nothing but resell the warmer, to fix her coffee table. Regardless of what it was, it wasn't the crafters fault at all and it was plain that it wasn't, but the customer was still all up in her business about it )

All of us started out at the beginning. We were all lost has heck. Luckily, we have this forum now where we can talk to each other and get tips , tricks, support, info, insider secrets... I can't imagine what they went through without having this board to go to for help.

We will all help you in any possible way we can and don't be afraid to ask a question even if you think it's dumb. There's a good chance someone else new is watching and needs to know but wont ask, or , it can be something we don't even "think about" any more that you really need to know how that works.

My advice , since you are wanting to make some money kinda sorta fast, is do something other than candles first, then later, a little at a time, go into that. But that's just my opinion.

GOOD LUCK and we'll help all we can !

Edited by blacktieaffair

I agree with all the above advice, my story is the advice chefmom and blacktieaffair gave wraped in one...lol I started with none wicking items and worked with candles as money would let me. I havent been doing this as long as many and my system is a little different. I wasnt one of the ones who loved candles before I started making them, I LIKED CANDLES, but I LOVE SCENTS!! but once I began to work and see the product created after hours, days, months of testing it is a JOY...its like watching your baby grow through stages of life!!! If this is what you really want to do then do it, BUT please take in consideration all the advice that is given to you, read read read...I still fall asleep at my computer or with a book in my lap from information overload( its like Im in college again...lol)..have fun, be safe ...and always think about the safety of your customer....that is all...welcome to the board!!!

Edge, you got some good advice. Everyone can start out making a candle for a few bucks following a book or formula. The reality of selling is that you need candles that are unique and well made. When you stray outside the book formulas (and you will), you'll quickly realize that the knowledge needs to be built and there is only one way to get that. Try, test, try, test, repeat.That's what costs money. Every time you change a container shape or mold, you need to test. Learning technique to make nice looking colors also takes time.

Not trying to discourage you, quite the opposite. If you have a passion for candle making then you sound like you are level headed and can do it. Just need to do the math on testing. I tested over 400 candles before I started to make them available to others. I had to learn the different wax types and whether or not it was right to mix or not. Chatting here and testing are the only ways to do it.

Lots of straight guys make them too. Don't be concerned about that.

I would suggest you find a supplier close to you (trust me, you want one as close as possible) and get a kit. Make a few candles from that kit, and see how you like it. Decide if you want soy, paraffin or a blend. Burn the candles in your home and see if you like how they perform, then friends will ask, and build from there. But trust everyone when they tell you, it's not an inexpensive hobby. If you find you like making candles, etc. then look in your area for scents that sell, how many other candle makers are in your immediate area and be different. Upscale v. rustic, bakery scents v. natural scents, etc.

As in any business you need start up costs, licensing, insurance, product, materials, marketing. But this is a good way to start. Oh...and learn all of the terminology on the board, it will help a lot.

Howdy,

Just joined the forum and wanted to ask a few questions and learn. I may throw an odd ball at the majority of you when I say I'm a 21 yr old male looking to get into candle making. :lipsrseal lol.

The reasoning... I would be lieing if I said it was only because I am interesting in making them for my own personal use. Hopfully I don't come off in a negative/rude manner when I say I'm always looking to start a new small at home business. I have a few school loans currently trying to be paid off and going through more as I type, Not too mention a girlfriend of 4 years dreaming daily of an engagment ring, that I can not provide with my current income... :sad2: So, yes I would like to eventually make candles at home and start a small business. I've looked at several options but I beleive this is my best bet for a "at home/cheapest" route to start. I'm VERY excited for a lot of my female friends and family love candles! so worst case.... I can just make some for gifts, which would be fine. I've been scouting around on the internet the past couple weeks looking for a descent starter kit, and wondered what you guys (gals) thought of this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Complete-Soy-Wax-Container-Candle-Making-Kit-Candle-Making-Supplies-/120965356043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2a18da0b

pros? cons? recommend something different?

I appreciate ALL .02 good and bad, and apologize if this is in the wrong area. Just looking for some feedback. Thank you all for future input and hope I can share my experiences with you guys along the way!

-J

If I had it to do over again, I would start with this exact kit: http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Scented-Container-Candle-Starter-Kit__K1003.aspx

That said, it is very expensive and time consuming to start a candle business, and I think it would take you at least a year or 18 mos of testing before you'd be ready to sell. It might be faster to start by developing tarts, like the Scentsy tarts that are extremely popular now. Or, even making scented Melt & Pour soaps. But, I think there are other ways you could make more extra money than this stuff.

Thanks beth for the input, I agree starting a business isn't the cheapest by anymeans. I guess I meant compared to the majority of things you could possibly pursue. I'm a fulltime firefighter for the state and am always trying to get things going on the side. I currently do leather tooling custom orders like wallets, bible covers, belts, etc... But with most things"custom" people do not want to pay the extra dollar, so more or less it has turned into a hobby. lol. I just thought this would be a fun craft and maybe a potential to earn a little dollar or two... But I do understand where your coming from, any one else?

Thanks

-J

All the firefighters I've ever known make a lot of money and don't need home-based businesses to make ends meet, so I don't understand...hope that's not rude, just wondering....

Edited by HorsescentS

All the firefighters I've ever known make a lot of money and don't need home-based businesses to make ends meet, so I don't understand...hope that's not rude, just wondering....

I've never know a fireman/woman who didn't have a 2nd job, lol.. Whether or not they needed it! :)

I like the idea of a firefighter who makes candles, its cute :)

I'm a newbie myself. I had made some candles for my self from a kit and was like omg I LOVE this I should start my own business!

I think my biggest regret is that I didn't do enough proper research to start. I read quick 101 guides and made a list of supplies and ended up spending far far more money on things I didn't need, or could have saved myself tons of shipping because I kept realizing I also needed something else and made tons of small orders sigh.

I'm way over $1k spent and still just testing. And this is just with a handful of scents & just wickless + a few tins. It has been 3 months and all I do everyday is test and read, test and read lol I knew that starting would be work but I didn't realize it would be this much I guess lol When you think you figured it all out and test and it is just all wrong lol It can feel very overwhelming for sure.

That said I still love it, even more so. I am happy I am doing this. I just might be eating ramen noodles for the next year lmao

Hi! I'm a bit of a beginner, and have been lurking these forums for around a year. Eventually I might try selling candles, but for now, I have just been reading advice here, and experimenting on my own.

Just start by making it a hobby first. See if you like it or not.

^_^

Hi Edge! Welcome.

It's so fun at the beginning to imagine all the possibilities that await. If you truly love an art or craft then making a little money at it is the icing on the cake.

I'd start with a kit to get some basic tools and guidance, then decide on what I loved and delve into that with gusto. Master one thing at a time and then look at the numbers to see if it's a viable option to make your passion into a business. There's no rule that businesses have to be profitable, though it is nice when the numbers at the end of the accounting year are black and not red.

To thrive in this business, I'd settle with a pad of paper and create a business plan to learn what the costs are and potential market value for the customers you are targeting. Look at your competition and see how you can surpass their successes and avoid their shortcomings. The old adage, "If you melt it they will buy" does not apply any more. Too many people have jumped in and out of the market space. If you have a creative business concept and the wherewithal to make it happen, then it can. Having some business acumen and marketing skills sure will come in handy.

Master the craft, hone your skills and make it happen. You've received some great pointers so far. Several similar threads are around the forum somewhere that help outline some of the major cash outlays and time lines. The $5k estimate given a few posts ago is not far off the mark. A year or more before being ready to hang out the shingle is reasonable given you make sufficient numbers of test candles to prove your candle system is safe and sound.

If you rent, I'm sure you've already checked into the rules for your place about having a home business and of running a manufacturing business. I'd hate to see you get invested then be forced to shut down. That's no fun!

Good luck!! You've come to a great resource for chandlery and business tips.

• 8 months later...

I am new here and I am happy after entering this wonderful forum which has some nice And interesting ideas from lovely people here. I hope that there will be Great fun here . Thanks in Advance.

Edited by Aklian

I started with a votive kit from Cajun Candles. It was fun and easy and not too expensive. I bought some votive holders at Dollar Tree, clear bags with twist ties and made some labels and gifted them to friends. The feedback gave me the courage to try jelly jars. Clamshells for wickless or melts is another way to go that doesn't take a ton of investment. Go to the those forums and read through some of the posts to see what you think. I love paraffin for its bright colors and easy wicking but wound up with a parasoy wax that gave me the best of both worlds. Try Peaks (this is their board) kits and pick a wide assortment of fragrances (bakery, beach, herbal or florals) and have some fun. I'm a guy and there are a lot of other guys who make candles. You never know till you try. HTH

Steve

I've been making and selling candles for well over 30 years. In retrospect I wish now that I had never let my hobby turn into a profession, even only part-time as it has been most of the time.

I used to enjoy making hand-dipped tapers, pillars and votives. Now I seldom make them, because there is no profit in them for me.

If I had even half of the money back I have spent and often wasted in this craft, I would be able to live comfortably for what time I have left in my life. God only knows how much more "accomplished" my life would have been, if I had back those many hours spent as a chandler, too.

JMO

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

I am new here and I am happy after entering this wonderful forum which has some nice And interesting ideas from lovely people here. I hope that there will be Great fun here . Thanks in Advance.

No Welcome received why???????

signage melbourne

Edited by Aklian