Haunted House- Pic Heavy

We're getting ready for fall here, so wanted to show you one of my other creations. I made this a year or so ago, but since it's getting closer to Halloween, we just dusted off the molds and started making them again.

post-13471-139458500859_thumb.jpg

It weighs a whopping 3 lbs. I sculpted this out of clay, then we made 5 or 6 mold pieces to complete the whole thing. The main structure of the house takes almost a full 24 hours to cool. After it's all cooled, I have to add the color to the details. Painting the vines on the side is tedious at best. Then it gets assembled. Love doing this sort of thing, but some days seem like they go on forever LOL

post-13471-139458500845_thumb.jpg

post-13471-139458500851_thumb.jpg

post-13471-139458500854_thumb.jpg

post-13471-139458500857_thumb.jpg

Wowsers! That is amazing!

I was about to start a project just like that....no wait, my project is just getting a basic pillar to burn right. lol.

But wow, wow, wow, wow and wow!

How tall is it? I checked with my trusty online converter to see how much 3lbs was in kg - that is some serious candle weight.

Looove it! I love all things Halloween, and more so when it's handmade!

May I ask what clay you used? I'm trying to find some that is definitely fireproof to make an incense holder. But I can't find a clay that the instructions with it explicitly says it's fireproof. Some of the "clays" we use are actually polymer clays made from some type of plastic, so until I read something that says it is for sure fireproof, I'm nervous about using it.

Edited by Darbla

THAT is so cool!!!! :yay: You made your own templates??!!! I am amazed at the tallent here!!!

oops :wink2:...sorry I reread the original post and realized that you made the major portion of the haunted house out of clay...then added molded pieces??!! Wow....more impressed...great job!!:cheesy2:

This is great. u have made great job.how many day it takes to do this?

Takes me 3-4 days to do the entire thing. The main portion of the house takes 24 hours to cool (I make the roof pieces and the front porch at the same time). Then another 2-3 days for the main detail work and finishing everything.

I made the original model out of some of the oil based modeling clay that doesn't dry out in the air. Then it goes into a big container to pour my rubber around, then it sets up, has to be cleaned, etc. Then I get to start working with the new molds. Luckily this mold can make quite a few candles as long as it isn't damaged somehow.

As for fireproof clays, the only kinds I'm familiar with are the ones that would require being fired, so pottery clays. But I don't have the money to work with a kiln, so that's out for some of the other stuff I'd love to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the one I burnt anymore, it got tossed in the move last year. But it did the awesome melty, drip down the sides thing. Didn't actually make it melt to the bottom, of course, but once it got through the roof and into the house, it sorta backlights and is just cool looking.