Are your sells better online or local?

leisa2003

I do better selling locally at the fm, but I still do sell on line, although not as good as locally. Its great for customers who are from out of town but are in-town visiting, they purchase at the f'm, then they can purchase on-line when they need more!

I have a girlfriend that does awesome on line but not locally!

Edited by MaggieMay

I would say I do better at local shows (more volume) better than online but I do have purchases online a couple of times a month. So for me, I think that's great!

I think for me people like to smell the candles and ask questions and see a face.

I have always sold exclusively online, and since I opened my webstore at the beginning of 2002(after leaving eBay), sales have increased every year, all year. Thanks to several lines I carry that people what all year long, I've been busy all year round....until this year. It has been so hot everywhere since May, customers are turned away from shipping, since none of the services will honor insurance claims for "melt". I've never been able to use pickup for any shipping service here in the summer, as the days are over 100 degrees, and if the package is in the truck all day long, temps inside the truck can get hot enough to fry an egg just for the lunchhour lockup. It appears it's been like that everywhere this year. So now I have to go back to the drawing board and figure this one out if this continues to be the weather trend for next year...

IMO and IME speaking of candles and B&B, the web is sort of a catalog. It's a handy venue for people to browse and possibly re-order favorites that they have experienced. Unless you have some excellent photography, such as the ever-popular Pottery Barn style, and are a superb copywriter the web site can be dead weight instead of a balloon to your business. Online marketplaces such as Etsy are hard to succeed with since the pond it pretty populated with big fish that have been there a long while and have developed statistics which keep them at the top of the searches.

In-person sales for my business are a thousand times better than on-line. In person you get a chance to engage the customer and discover their needs and preferences - basically what moves them to open their wallets. The conversation affords you a chance to fill needs they have, and didn't know they needed. You get ideas for new things and new packaging and displays. You can very easily upsell without any trickery and everyone leaves happy and wanting more. YOU are your brand. How better than to sell YOU than in person?

In-person also generates great marketing information. What are people responding to? What comments do they have about your products and displays? KNOWING what moves your target customers is the key to making products that your customers will want and purchase.

On the web you're navigating blindly, hoping that your likes match those of your target customers. In most cases I discovered that my likes are in line with my target, but not always. Knowing what that gap was and filling it increases sales year over year allowing me to enter the bigger and more profitable venues. It also is nice to see how the product lines evolve and improve, handy for keeping competition struggling to keep up.

A note about your target customers.... Do you know who they are? A good bit of advice I heard that rings loud and true was, "Don't market to people just like you. You are too cheap/crafty/[insert descriptive here] to buy the products, and will instead choose to make them yourself. Target the person who WON'T make your stuff which they desire and they will instead happily choose to spend their money at your shop."

Local for sure. Closed website this year after 7 years because it just wasn't worth the effort or time I could be spending elsewhere in my business.

I am seriously considering closing my website for the same reasons! Lots of work to keep the site going but precious few sales to make it worth the effort. My best sales are by far from local markets and craft shows and wholesale accounts.