Faux Barn Door

megandgarr

So lately I have been on the quest to make my home feel a bit more rustic by adding a few touches of antiques and some wooden pieces. One thing that I have always wanted was an old barn door but those are hard to come by in the Phoenix area. I wanted to display one above the fireplace mantel, or maybe use it as a table etc.

I figured that if I wanted a barn door I was going to have to make one, which is fine because I love making things. I did some searches on google to find a design that I wanted to replicate and this is what I ended up with. I used a piece of house siding, cut it down to size, painted it, hot glued some metal hinges, and voila! I think it turned out pretty nice. I ended up making a set and hung one in the entry way of the house and the other above the fireplace. I think the whole project cost me less than $30.00. I hung some post-12144-13945849991_thumb.jpgsmall lantern style candle holders on the one above the mantel and it looks really pretty at night time.

I hope these pictures post correctly....

post-12144-1394584999_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much! Yes, I painted the mantel too. It is made out of stucco and I wanted it to look like wooden beams so I faux painted those as well. Quite honestly I have been a painting fool lately and not spending much time making my melts. I have been spending more of my time on my Pinterest boards posting pics of new projects I have been doing around the house. I have been adding touches of rustic to my home by adding a few antiques and more wood pieces. My last project was an ugly black & red cabinet that I found at the antique mart. I wanted to convert it to a hutch but it was beat to heck with holes in the side and the top slat of wood was all wonky. I bought it anyways and my hubby patched the holes for me and banged the wood slat back into place. I used a white bathroom cabinet (from Target) for the top piece. I removed the glass doors and replaced them with chicken wire, removed the drawers to make shelves (and turned it upside down) and painted both pieces a warm dark brown. It is now in the kitchen being used for storage, and the top half is used for my spice rack (also used mason jars for the spices). I have been having so much fun crafting away!!!! Now I need to get back to making some melts.

Dessa

post-12144-139458500586_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone! I truly enjoy painting things around the house and taking something old and ugly, and making it into something useful and pretty. And well all else fails, then just "faux" paint it. I have quite a few things that are "faux" painted around my house.

Brandy, so glad the tarts from the swap are strong! Yeah....

• 6 months later...

Thank you all for the kind words. I am currently working on a new country-ish (dont want to go too over the top country) wreath made out of a twig sunburst and pip berries that I will be hanging on the barn door over the fireplace. We just painted the living room/kitchen this past weekend and I made some valances (no sew of course) so I may post updated pics once it is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much! I am definitely into the country/farmhouse look right now. In fact my hubby and I were just making a list of supplies that we need for this weekend. I am so excited because he agreed to help me build a farmhouse table that will go in our kitchen. It won't be huge since we do not have a lot of space where the square pub table is now, but it will fit 6. I just hope it turns out as pretty as it looks in my head right now, lol.

• 1 month later...

I decided to lighten up the mantle a little for spring so I switched out my dark red twig/pip berry wreath for a pretty green wreath and also switched out the red accents for ivory. I dont think my color scheme usually lasts for very long. I am constantly switching out colors and repainting things. As my hubby puts it, we have lost square footage in our home from all the painting that we have done, LOL..

post-12144-139458508835_thumb.jpg