Which Laser Printer..... and why ?

Thinking seriously about purchasing a laser printer in the next couple of months, and I was wondering what was good, what was bad... and why.

I never thought I'd really get one , because I only have a black and white ( but want black and silver ) label for melts, but since I've gotten into bath and body products, I'd like to be able to use a laser printer and waterproof labels without the hassle of making them waterproof myself. Plus, lol I just want to upgrade!

Any suggestions?

Any warnings?

You might have seen another thread I started on the topic from awhile back. I had a black & white Brother laser and it was a nice little work horse. The only problem was that when I wanted to print small black text on clear labels it simply didn't have the clarity so I needed something different. The local printer sellers here in Perth would not let me run any test pages, so I took a leap of faith and bought a Fuji Xerox DocuPrint C205 w color laser. I don't believe the Fuji Xerox is even available in the U.S. so I don't want to oversell it. So FWIW, I have been very pleased with how crisp it prints black on clear labels, but when it comes to color, the colors don't seem all that strong. Maybe that is how all color lasers are on clear labels?

I too had a thread on this about a month ago. I went with the Brother HL4570CDW color laser. Have printed a couple thousand labels on it so far and they look great. All my bottom labels are black and white. All my top labels are color, some photos, some logos etc. So far I am very very happy with this printer. What I love most is the speed. I don't have to sit there and print labels for an hour any more when we get a big fundraiser or order. In 10 minutes I am done. With my old inkjet I would have already had to change ink cartridges on each color at least once. So far I haven't had to change any. I think in the long run my toner cost will be less than the ink cost.

Hangs head, I do usually try to do a search first, but was just in a hurry. I wanna thank yall for the info. I'll go search more now LOL

BTW, my inkjet is a Brother MFC J410w and I LOVE it ... except ink costs. Plus the fact I undoubtedly am either really dumb, or something, because I tell it to print only in black, and it runs out of all the other colors too ( I have no color other than black in my labels ) . I have seen other printers that had a dedicated "black" only option ( this one does supposedly) so it only uses the ink out of that cartridge and none of the others.. but undoubtedly I can't get it to work right.

Edited by blacktieaffair

I have an old Oki C5200 that I absolutely love (workhorse, reliable, good color & reasonably priced toner) but I think alot has to do with what you can find at a reasonable price and has reasonably priced toner. I would say check your local office supply stores to see what they offer and check prices for the replacement toners (I ALWAYS buy the high yield cartridges. They may be more up front but they last way longer & in the long run cost less per page). Once you see what is available check CNet.com for reviews on each available and make the best decision you can based on price & reviews.

My sister gave me a black ink only Brother laser printer. I really like the way it prints, but I wish it was color. The replacement ink cartridge is only $27.00. I like that about it too. The down side of lasers for me is that I use a lot of heavy cardstock and it won't take it. I have to have a top feed inkjet for that. I would say if you are getting a laser printer get a color one. Even if you don't use the color very much at least you'll have it. Also if you get it from Best Buy you can have around 6 months to 12 months interest free to pay it off.

Thanks redraider! I'd take you up on it ,but this weekend we went by Office Max and they let me test some on one of theirs... it did ok, but to me the edges were a tad fuzzy on the one we tried out. Im thinking it's because that while the cardstock was heavier, ( now , Im going to try to make this make sense to yall but not sure if I can lol )....it was like their were looser fibers on the surface of the paper and that might have been why it looked a tad fuzzy? I know nothing about these things and bless his heart, the young guy helping me was new and at a loss too. I may just stick with my Brother inkjet for now, because it does well, I just wanted to move up a step and hopefully save on ink in the long run, and be able to better graphics if I chose to in the future... but for right now, Im leaning with just sticking with my lil buddy sitting over there:)

I don't know if it had to do with the drought we were in last year or what but come late April early May in the part of Texas I live in there were millions, seriously, millions of moths. According to the news the eggs were laid in the fall and then they hatched this spring. Anyway we make our candles out in a large metal barn that a portion of we have closed in, insulated and even have heat and air. However in the fall when the weather was beautiful we would be working and instead of being closed in the room we would leave the door open and also open up the big garage type door so we could get fresh air. Apparently some moths got in at that time and laid eggs in the barn. Needless to say when I received a pallets of jars and wax I opened the big garage door to back up my pickup in so we could unload the supplies it looked like bats flying out of a cave at sundown. It was awful. They weren't just at our place, they were all over this part of the state. They were migrating to Mexico. They managed to get into the room we make our candles in and where my inkjet was at and got into the printer some how and the dust of there wings plus other stuff ruined the printer. I didn't even want to try to clean it out myself. I am still sweeping up months. This picture does not even depict how many there actually were.

post-13781-139458499066_thumb.jpg

Redraider, how horrible!!! That's like a horror movie to me. I recently had a few moths in my pantry and I was completely grossed out by that. Seeing your picture makes me want to hurl. Hope you didn't lose anything else besides the printer.

BTA, how heavy is the card stock you are using?

( looks in filing cabinet... mutters to myself..... "great, she asks, I can't find the wrapping for it, and I can't remember the weight .... lovely )..

Umm I'll get back with ya on that one ;) I have some card stock, and another brand of "cover paper". Brilliant, half asleep me can't remember the weights , I know them by sight. I'll go look at the website in a little bit LOL

Not urgent at all! Just thought I'd ask and see if my printer could handle it. But on second thought, I'm remembering that here in Australia, most paper is sold by grams/meter^2, as opposed to the U.S. convention of #s. I'm not sure of an easy conversion either.

I have a brother HL 4040 CDN Hate it! I clean and clean the rollers and still spots over all my labels. It so slow to start out printing too. Takes about a minute to print out a letter.

Funny you mention that. I have a new 4150 CDN and they definitely DO collect stuff on the rollers when printing labels and gloss paper.

I spend far too long cleaning it for the ink savings.

Ok.. I use heavy cardstock for my "labels" ( inside the pack ) of my melts.... are you saying that laser printers won't handle that type of paper or just the particular one you have?

Anyone else use card stock in lasers???

I use card stock in mine all the time. I just have to use the multipurpose tray to print anything other than regular weight paper.

Funny you mention that. I have a new 4150 CDN and they definitely DO collect stuff on the rollers when printing labels and gloss paper.

I spend far too long cleaning it for the ink savings.

Mine just took a crap!!! THis is my 3rd brother only cause i hated to waste the ink. I just purchased $150 worth of ink this week, only to find out its broken and wasnt out of ink at all!! And it is 2 weeks out of warranty! :angry2:

Edited by barncat