Sometimes I feel like....

Sometimes I feel like some people get super lucky in this business.

I have been watching a soap maker on YouTube and while he is very talented and has taken the time to work on his craft- I don't understand how he has only been on YouTube a year and has tons of subscribers. Also recently he started selling his soaps and sold out within a day. I guess some people are just lucky.

My friend said that alot of people make believe and pretend about how much they are selling. I guess they could write anything or make a video and pretend they are so swamped with orders they cannot keep up. I just don't think so. This person seems very honest and they do get lots of comments when they do post a video.

Anyway just thinking out loud and I'm bored today and this question has been on my mind. If you have any thoughts you are welcome to post them below. Thanks! :-)

You kinda sorta bring up an idea/thought I had about that whole YouTube thing the other day. I rarely ever check my inbox on that thing and decided to. I had about 100 emails, notifying me that so and so and added me as a contact....... I had no danged idea who they were, had never seen their videos or anything.

Im wondering, could that be how that guy you are referring to is possibly bumping his numbers? Im not saying he is, but IF he is, could that be a way ?

I thought it was odd someone could add me, without my knowledge or consent.

I don't think that luck is really it. I think it is all about how one makes themself out to be and if thye know what will have mass appeal. I agree about the marketing. Also, this guy may not have anything much, but it is bound to be better than a lot of the commercial stuff.

There is a seller on Etsy who does only MP soap. Her photography is incredible and she has thousands and thousands and THOUSANDS of positive feedback. Her stuff is nice, but certainly not particularly better than the other fine talent found on Etsy. She has thousands of twitter followers and sells herself well. She knows how to kick butt in this business.

Jack... I sorta look at is this way... He may have sold out of soap that day buttttttt...... he might have only had 20 bars on the market to sell **wink**... It is all in the marketing.. I have to share a story with you from one of my first shows more than 10 years ago.

Soy was coming in big..craft shows were saturated with chandlers. There would be about 10 chandlers amongst 60 or 70 crafters. I had a gal close to me who was sharing how she had sold out of lilac and gardenia candles that day. She was jumpin for joy. Gosh, I was thinkin she must really be doing great... I looked over at her booth, there wasn't alot in there. Only to find out in the next sentence from her that she had only brought 8 of each fragrance with her...and her only sales were the lilac and gardenia and she had made her booth rent back that day... LOL.... it is all in how one perceives :)

He may have tons of followers, who are looking to learn the trade to make a profit, not so much as buying soap from him.

I think sometimes these things take a combo of things. Sometimes it is sheer luck and sometimes it is hard work. Businesses can take time to build, if you have been making soaps and candles for a year or so, well it can be unrealistic to set the world alight. Run your own race, work hard and hopefully things will fall into place.

With Youtube, there is a UK soaper with tons of views, she now makes money off her ads she places before her vids, she has lots of wholesale etc and she has been making CP soap for 2 years, she started selling CP soap within a few days of making her first bar. I think she has used a combo of things, luck, hard work and looking at what other soapers are doing and then doing the same thing. It works for her.

I also think marketing.Some are just go getters.

I let my candles sell for themselves and don't push them.I'm told they are the best.I guess I quit craft shows.I just got bummed out.I got all kinds of compliments.Did I make a killing "NO".

Another thing I believe it is the area you live.In my area 8 ounce JJ sell for 4 or $5 but towns about a hour away people get $8.00.

LynnS

Logically the more good ideas and promotion that you put into your business, the better it might be. But there are always variables you can't account for that will blow up your plans! Good book on how little control we actually have, and how much randomness is at play in our lives:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Drunkards-Walk-Randomness-Vintage/dp/0307275175/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338727342&sr=1-1

Just my thoughts on the thread. We have been selling candles a LONG time. successfully. Things we have seen over the years: crafters who think that because they have been making soaps/candles for a year, they are experts. So, they go head to head with more experienced crafters and then wonder why they sell so little. Crafters who put a piece of ribbon and a little glitter on something, then triple the price and can't understand why no one buys their products since they are "so cute". Crafters who do not perfect their craft, but spend tons on display, labels, web sites and advertising and don't understand why they can't get repeat sales. Basically,it's a Field of Dreams mentality. If I produce it, everyone will be falling over themselves to buy it at any price. We have talked to many beginners about this, but most don't listen and either drop the business and craft or struggle for a long time/forever. Rereading this I see that I am a little ray of sunshine. :) Seriously, There are many reasons why someone is successful or not. First, you have to have a way to get people to look seriously at your products. Then there has to be a reason why someone with cash in hand will want to buy your product over someone else's (price, packaging, scent, display). Next, your products have to be good enough to bring people back over and over again. It is not luck. It is hard work with lots of study and thought behind the decisions. When we have a vacancy in our store, we accept applications for a couple of days. I wish I could video the people who come in to apply. Most are scratched off immediately. Their presentation, Their use of the English language, Their attitude, Their inability to compose sentences or to spell. On and on. A very few deserve a second look. I am sure that some of the ones we immediately dismiss might turn out to be great employees, but why should we take the chance when someone else is right there and better. Same with your products. Why should someone buy from you and not your competitor? Bottom line for us is God. He has helped and guided our decisions from the beginning and He gets all the credit; we are just along for the ride.