which scents to start with?

Loolee

I'm looking for opinions on scents. I want scents that are pleasant, yet have mass appeal.

What's your opinion?

Also, whats the best way to get a scent without spending a ton of money on them? I ordered four, 4 oz, and I ended up liking only one. What a waste of money!

Unfortunately, scents are very subjective. Some people prefer florals or fresh scents while others prefer bakery scents. Popularity can also be regional. What sells in Tennessee may not sell in Kansas. I think most people here have several scents in the different categories for a broad appeal. As you learn your market you can adjust from there.

Most of the suppliers have smaller sizes (usually an ounce) to sample a fragrance. Southern Soapers offers 'sniffies' (small vials) so you can at least smell the fragrance first. There is actually enough in the vial for me to scent a little bit of lotion so I can test in a product. The Scent Works used to offer those as well but haven't seen them recently. Other than that, look for sampler packs or keep an eye out for sample sales. You can sign up for newsletters or check out the Weekly Sales section in the Marketplace.

I don't know if you are an experienced soaper or crafter of just starting out. If you are new to the craft, this is not an inexpensive hobby. I have a crap-load of fragrance oils in my closet. Along with all the supplies needed to make and test the products.

There is a fragrance oil section here on the forum. If you find a supplier or fragrance you like, do a search there, see if someone has experience. There have been a lot of suppliers and fragrances discussed in that section.

hth - j

thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I found out to late how expensive this hobby is. I've spent probably $200 just to get started and that's without buying hardly any dyes, fragrances or a mold!

But I'm hooked now!

PS Saying a prayer for your marine on this memorial day!

Just about every major supplier ( or at least the ones I've either seen or use ) offers " sample packs".. sometimes 10 or 12 1oz "samples" of your choice, in a pack that is discounted off of the normal 1oz price. Since you are here in Tn with me, I'd suggest Aztec. They are in Knoxville, have a very large offering of scents, and have various sample packs you can order. Shipping will be cheaper for you that way, than if you ordered something, say , out of Oregon probably.

As PMM said, scents and how people like them, is purely subjective, and while I've seen the "tried and true" still selling very well, I've also noticed that over here at least, the "new and unique" are selling a lot more and more frequently than ever before.

Figuring out what to sell, since you will be limiting the number of scents you want to offer, can be really simple, or really hard. ( that didnt help did it? LOL )

One thing you might want to think about is : Are you going to offer the same thing as everyone else ( because usually if so many are offering it, its because it's selling for everyone)

or

Are you wanting to offer scents that everyone else is NOT offering?

Either way you run a risk ( as with everything ). It depends on the people you want to eventually start selling to ( or giving things as gifts ). You might live in an area where they are straight by the book vanilla types or you might live in an area like I do, where you have people coming from all over the world, and while there are many many stores here that carry the same scents, I offer a ton of scents they don't, and it's worked in my favor. They all carry those "staples" because, well, they sell. So everyone can get away with it. But , with such a diverse group coming in and out of here year round, from different states and countries, it does pay to offer something unique.

I hope I helped at least a little.

well, the little town I live in doesn't have anyone selling handmade soaps. So I guess I"m looking for the "tried and true"

Blacktieaffair, what city are you in?

Can I take a day trip to Aztec and smell their scents? I would SO do that!

Yep, Aztec is one of the suppliers that has a "store" at their warehouse where you can go in and sniff every thing they sell, see all the molds hanging on the walls, all the glassware, bottles, candle molds, etc. I usually spend about two hours in there sniffing, even though I've done it a zillion times already LOL.

Im butted up next to the mountains.

Loolee-- I found that for myself what sounded good to me was the best way to start out. But don't forget classic scents like lavender, jasmine, gardenia, rose, etc.

If it helps I always have:

lavender (best seller)

honeysuckle or jasmine or blend of each

lemon verbana or other citrus

oatmeal milk & honey (best seller)

patchouli blend

a sandalwood blend

coconut lime

clean scent like linen or clean cotton (clean cotton rocks in CP btw)

mediterranean fig

strawberry lime

cucumber or blend

cashmere, tuscan lace, or baby powder type

peppermint or spearmint type

herbal blends like rosemary, sage, etc

Hope this helps you out.

Edited by Candybee

I think the best selling scents are Oatmeal Milk & Honey, any clean citrus scent, and a good vanilla scent. Lavender sells well, but is not a best seller for me. My best selling florals have always been Rose and Lily of the Valley. A good herbal scent always sells well and so do ocean scents.

I have weird customers. Some ask for that brown colored soap (some form of vanilla) and others don't want fragrance at all. I think White Tea Peony is one of the best soap fragrances (Candle Cocoon) and love Blue Skies mixed with Amber Musk (AH/RE), as well as their Oatmeal Milk and Honey, oh and their Creme Brulee from KY. HTH

Steve

I would pick what YOU love. When you love it your energy helps others to love it too.

Traditional scents that usually perform well in my area include a good lavender, citrus, patchouli, lemongrass... OMH doesn't sell in my area at all.

Scent preferences do change throughout the year though. Just when you think you've got game the rules change. :wink2:

I can't seem to move BRV for nuffin :( ...... But having said that.... it's just a prime example of what works/sells in one area, won't in another.

Same here. But I still think some scents just generally sell. I find that straight up, one note, classic scents do very well. Vanilla is a prime example. Both genders like it and so do kids.

Look for descriptions on the fos that state whether they stick or fade or morph, as well as discolor or accelerate. The Blue Skies accelerates super fast and you have to work quickly to get it in the mold or your spoon will be stuck in the pot. HTH

Steve

It was my fault, I had let the mixture go to medium trace before adding the fo. Wowzer, did it set up fast but I managed to get it into the mold and it was ok. The scent sticks really good and it's one of my favorite soap fragrances. Just add it to a thin trace and see how that works. HTH

Steve