Early spring craft fair reports ...

Judy, USMC

Wondering how the sales and attendance is going in your area.

We had our on-base fair last weekend. Things were slower than normal probably about 70% of the foot traffic we normally have. It was off-and-on rain on Saturday and severe weather warnings (hail) on Sunday. I was down about 10% from last year's sales.

Hope this isn't a trend in your area ......

I usually don't do spring shows because they are SO much work for the $$. But, I decided to do one last weekend and for the amount of work, it proved to be true again. I sold tons of tarts, but only a couple of candles. I won't be doing anymore spring shows, unless I have an open house so I don't have to lug all that stuff around. Loading, unloading, set up, tear down, load up, drive home, unload again, and in my case, set up in shop again.....just not worth it.

Dana, that is exactly why I don't do shows like that in any season anymore. Which I hate that, because I really loved the "being out there in a new place and talking about my products to new people " aspect... but with the economy 2 years ago, I just couldn't justify it.

Now with gas going up and up like it is, Im afraid it would be a repeat performance :(

Judy, I hope it gets better for you hun! I gotta give you credit, that's a lot of work !

@Judy - only down 10% with all the other environmental factors is really pretty good I'd say! Had the weather cooperated imagine the increase you would likely have had.

I don't do many outdoor shows - just several tried and true. The work is definitely heavy, but worth it when you pull in a few new wholesale accounts and new regular customers as a result of the exposure. It's the business' necessary evil it needs to grow year over year.

It was an indoor show so my goods were protected. Unfortunately it was the rainy walk from the parking lot to the venue that kept some away. Having a consumable was a plus ... if they wanted to resupply they needed to come in. But there were some newbies whose sales were not up to their expectations and felt really defeated. I felt so sorry for them.

I agree that spring fairs don't have strong sales. It did decrease over the past years but I was hoping that this would be the turn-around ... and it just didn't happen.

I decided to add 3 spring shows that I hadn't done before. 1 was last weekend and it was pathetic. Attendance was fair but nobody was buying. I've never seen so many people leave a show empty handed. Won't be doing that show again. Hope this weekends results in better attendance and sales. Ya know how you just got a feeling before you even send your money in. Well I had that feeling about all 3 of these shows. Not even looking forward to going which is sad because I usually enjoy them even though they are a ton of work.

Spring shows are typically bad sales wise. Last weekend I did a Yard sale and made pretty good money selling out of date stock. This weekend did a Spring Craft show and barely made my gas and booth fee.

The only "spring" shows I know of that do fairly well around here are the big shows usually in May. They charge a lot of money too but the sales are better.

I had a Relay for Life sponsored show today which I have done for the past 6 years. I was down about 20% this year, In the past I have made about the same every year. I did do ok, made my table fee plus enough to be ok with. But it there was a large drop in the amount of people and what they were spending. Usually this event is very well attended. It was very well advertized and organizers are great.

I attended my largest one last Friday and Saturday, and it was dismal! The best thing that happened was a lady came into my booth as I was packing up and wanted to carry my product line in her Day-Spa. Didn't even make my booth fee back.

I guess I will say that I had an informal spring craft show at a Pilates studio with several other crafters and I had to back out. The lady was not charging any fees but giving a few businesses she knows a chance to show their products. I did it last year and it was great because I had never done a craft show anything do I thought it was great experience but this year I'm not sure the time would have been worth it. Only a few people come and I may or may sell a few candles, melts or soaps. I really wanted to do it but I think was the best decision.

Sometimes you just never know where you are going to meet your next wholesale customer. Its not unusual for you to get one at some little tiny show-- or even a fundraiser opportunity. So uneventful shows can sometimes have hidden jems like future accounts.:wink2:

I did my very first craft show two weekends ago at the local high school. I was hoping to do a little better than I did for the amount of work, especially the lugging stuff in and out. I had no idea what to take, so I took it all! I had about 150 candle tins and about 150 tarts (clamshell and cup). I ended up doing about $150 in profit, so I'm not too bummed with it being my first show and all. I've got another one later this month, though I'm not taking everything to this one, lol. The bright side is, both that craft show and the one later this month are within 5 minutes of my house. :-) And I've already been asked to do another in August.

So uneventful shows can sometimes have hidden jems like future accounts.:wink2:

Oh, I totally agree! But I've done this show for years; always did consistent sales. But for some reason the number of attendees was down ... really lower than normal. So I was just wondering if this is just a regional abnormality or if it's happening country-wide.

Jillsthings - Good for you! You will get a feel for how much product you need to bring as time goes on. Glad you made a profit. Go get 'em!

Oh, I totally agree! But I've done this show for years; always did consistent sales. But for some reason the number of attendees was down ... really lower than normal. So I was just wondering if this is just a regional abnormality or if it's happening country-wide.

Jillsthings - Good for you! You will get a feel for how much product you need to bring as time goes on. Glad you made a profit. Go get 'em!

Thanks Judy! And I can tell you, the craft show I just did was slow compared to previous years. I'm normally just a customer at it, and I talked to a few other vendors who have been doing it for years and it was definitely slower this year than previous years. :-(

Thanks Judy! And I can tell you, the craft show I just did was slow compared to previous years. I'm normally just a customer at it, and I talked to a few other vendors who have been doing it for years and it was definitely slower this year than previous years. :-(

Spring shows can be very iffy. I have a couple that I do that are through the same promoter for my big fall shows. Spring shows help me meet new customers that always ask if I will be back for the fall shows. The plan is that then in the fall they will buy even more product. Sometimes they order during the summer even.

Good Luck,

Kim