FO for cold process

kdmorgan

I was hoping some one could recommend a good FO to try out in cold process soap. I am ordering from candlescience shortly if they have a good one. If not, i will order from anywhere :)

I am going to try cold process again (first try wasnt pretty) and would like to start out with a great FO

I would check out candlescience's list of bath and body safe FO and save yourself shipping costs.

I use Natures Garden for a lot of my Fo's. Their service rocks and the prices are reasonable and the FO's are very good. I live in Canada and cannot justify paying what some suppliers charge for the FO and the shipping.

So far I have soaped CS Rain Water, Honeysuckle Jasmine, Lemon Verbana, and Rose. They all rock in CP except for the Rose scent faded after a couple of days but that could be because I mixed it with another FO. Perhaps if I used the Rose alone it would have stuck. But the others are awesome!

• 1 month later...

Just saw this thread...I went to CS to order more Honeysuckle Jasmine for soaping. It says its for candles only. I just checked my bottle and it's bath and body safe. Did this just change? I am soooo disappointed...this scent rocks in soap and is one of our best sellers :(

Concerning honeysuckle jasmine...omg, I just checked their website too and really bummed over this as it was my fave fo from cs. Checked my bottle as well and it states for candles/bath body. I only have enough fragrance left to make 2 more batches of soap and its a customer fave.

Edited by Shar
fragrance

Just received this reply from CS:

Hi Kelly,

Unfortunately this is correct as of yesterday. IFRA updates their list of ingredients every so often and a recent amendment has caused some of the components of Honeysuckle Jasmine to no longer be skin safe. We will work with our perfumer to see if we can reformulate this fragrance to meet the new standards but still keep the scent true and strong. There were several fragrance that have been effected by this change and we are in the process of updating all of our information, so please double check any other fragrances you may have been using to make sure it is still approved for bath/body.

Thank you,

I like the scent of this, but it majorly heats and accelerates in my CP formula even at .7 oz PPO

It does for me too, have to have everything ready and work super fast. I've been blending it with chamomile in a goat milk soap.

Yep. It changes the texture of my GM soap too much to keep with it - even blended with lavender EO's. I had to find alernatives.

The FO works well in my laundry applications though, so it's not a total loss :) Blended with Peak's Rose Bouquet 1:1 or even 2:1 lavender to rose it makes a great laundry scent IMO. A little vanilla would make it even more lovely.

So who's lavender do you all use to CP with?

I mostly use lavender eo or CS. I've got a batch of MC's Lavender Fields curing it's more of a "lavender clean", and not like the essential oil. I think it will appeal to customers who like the clean smelling type soaps. I also soaped some of Peaks Lavender blended with Bert's Chamomile, and whoa Peaks Lavender is really strong and has some herbally floral notes imo. I've heard that Tennessee Candle has a true smelling Lavender but haven't ordered from them before, but hope to try it sometime. Hth...

I mostly use lavender eo or CS. I've got a batch of MC's Lavender Fields curing it's more of a "lavender clean", and not like the essential oil. I think it will appeal to customers who like the clean smelling type soaps. I also soaped some of Peaks Lavender blended with Bert's Chamomile, and whoa Peaks Lavender is really strong and has some herbally floral notes imo. I've heard that Tennessee Candle has a true smelling Lavender but haven't ordered from them before, but hope to try it sometime. Hth...

Thanks Shar for the info. I do love CS Lavender but haven't yet tried it in CP-- mostly cause I'm out right now. But now I won't be afraid to try it. I have to have it anyway for my candles. I like that it doesn't have that medical herbal note that some lavenders have. Its more of a sweet field lavender to me. Exactly what I like in a lavender!

Candybee, I'm running low too,and checked their website and luckily it's still safe for bath/body. I mostly blend it with the chamomile-which is from Berts and now must find a relacement,grrrrr..it sells very well, and is a nice and relaxing scent. Just be prepared and have everything ready and it should soap just fine for you. I don't color mine, I leave natural and add about a couple bags of chaomile tea leaves to the oils before I begin mixing.

Shar-- I was just eyeballing the Chamomile fo at NG. I have been thinking of getting a good Chamomile to mix with Lavender for an herbal soap. I like to use herbal infusions and dried herbs in my soap.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread!

Shar-- I was just eyeballing the Chamomile fo at NG. I have been thinking of getting a good Chamomile to mix with Lavender for an herbal soap. I like to use herbal infusions and dried herbs in my soap.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread!

I order some oils from NG and noticed they have it too, and was interested in trying it, but seems I've read somewhere that it fades in cp..

I order some oils from NG and noticed they have it too, and was interested in trying it, but seems I've read somewhere that it fades in cp..

According to NG's info of CP soap results: No ricing, no acceleration, no discoloration, scent retention is good.

According to NG's info of CP soap results: No ricing, no acceleration, no discoloration, scent retention is good.

Next time I order from them I may grab a sample then. I noticed Southwest Candle Supply has a skin safe Lavender & Chamomile FO, but haven't heard much about this company. Would be nice to have it already in a blend like this.