What Do You Think Of This Recipe??

coffeebean

I found this recipe & would love your thoughts on it please. I was looking for a soap that's easy on my dry skin, this is one that caught my eye.

40% olive oil

25% palm oil

25% coconut oil

10% castor oil

Then at trace add 3 caps of vitamin e

It looks good but I would skip adding the Vit E, the lye monster will eat it. I would cut the castor to 5% add 1 TBSP of sugar PPO to the lye water before the lye and and 5% canola oil or up the OO to 45%..

It looks good but I would skip adding the Vit E, the lye monster will eat it. I would cut the castor to 5% add 1 TBSP of sugar PPO to the lye water before the lye and and 5% canola oil or up the OO to 45%..

I would do the same - cut the Castor by 5% and replace with OO. 10% castor makes for a stickier soap IME.

50% OO 25% CO and 25% Palm makes a pretty fantastic soap by itself.

Hmmm...what does the sugar do?

Hmmm...what does the sugar do?

Sugar helps to boost lather. The sucrose seems to give the soap film stability, allowing it to build and hold together.

Though, the 50% OO, 25% CO and 25% Palm is quite bubbly all by itself.

Does the sugar in my coconut milk help with lather? Or does it have to be table sugar?

Also, I have been using 10% castor oil because I like lots of creamy lather and thought that's what it was for. I will try a new batch with 5% and see if it helps cut down on the stickiness but not the creaminess of the lather.

I found this recipe & would love your thoughts on it please. I was looking for a soap that's easy on my dry skin, this is one that caught my eye.

40% olive oil

25% palm oil

25% coconut oil

10% castor oil

Then at trace add 3 caps of vitamin e

Coffeebean

My very first soap I used this same recipe except I used lard instead of palm oil and no vitamin E. Its still my favorite soap next to a castile. Its very mild and has lots of rich creamy lather and big bubbles. Its also creamy white like Ivory soap.

Does the sugar in my coconut milk help with lather? Or does it have to be table sugar?

Also, I have been using 10% castor oil because I like lots of creamy lather and thought that's what it was for. I will try a new batch with 5% and see if it helps cut down on the stickiness but not the creaminess of the lather.

With Milk soaps I do not add sugar but some do. It is a matter of choice. Coconut Milk has enough sugar in it IMO. It does make a great creamy soap with lots of conditioning. I use 5% Babassu Oil in most of my soaps which adds to the lather and conditioning also.

All sugars (like in table sugar, powdered sugar, sucrose, dextrose, fructose) will change lather properties. likewise, proteins (milks) will as well. It is the synergies in the soap formula itself that create the best types of lather. The sugars give the less stable bubbles something to stick to. Some additives enhance small dense bubbles while others make large fluffy bubbles.

When a lot of newbie soap makers hear castor oil enhances lather they misunderstand and think if some is good, then more must be better. In the case of castor, less is often more.

Unsaponified Castor is sticky relative to other oils and, once saponified, gives lather from all oils in the formula something to build upon. it's like glycerin in bubble bath. Just enough builds lots of hollywood bubbles; any more than just enough kills all the bubbles. You need to find that sweet spot in between.

In single oil soap tests, castor all by itself lathers very poorly. It has a thick, slimy feel with almost no lather. It's useful to create stability from lather found from other oils and increases conditioning numbers (it has a unique profile with Ricinoleic Acid at about 90%). It's not as magical as some believe for single handedly creating of lather to a particular soap.

Don't take my word for it. Create a small batch of just castor oil soap and see for yourself. I'd recommend doing small single oil batches to any new soapmaker. Learn your medium and then you'll be able to make some truly wonderful soap.

As you begin to learn and understand the fatty acid profiles of single oils, you'll see how the synergies of those oils are more important than any single magical ingredient or additive.

Thanks to Talltayl and Lovelylathers. I am still trying to process the information about the different properties of oils; linoleic, oleic, stearic, etc. So much to learn and test out, so many combinations and outcomes. I am trying to learn how to make very gentle conditioning soap and so far am loving using lots of OO.

I made a similar recipe with 5% castor, 45%OO and pure lard instead of palm. I'm still letting it cure (it's been 5 weeks) but so far seems like a very nice soap; lots of lather. Definitely not white though. I used just regular OO (not EVOO). I don't understand getting a naturally white soap with 40% OO but I'm a newbie.

Looks good to me. I have tried salt (hardens the bar) and sugar and didn't care for the results that much. The sugar really caused me some headache with acceleration and the soap felt sticky to me but you know how that goes. I recently formulated a recipe with no coconut and used pko and babassu instead. Its such a different soap but boy it really makes your skin feel good. I added jojoba beads for a mild exfoliant and the bars last forever. HTH

Steve

Looks good to me. I have tried salt (hardens the bar) and sugar and didn't care for the results that much. The sugar really caused me some headache with acceleration and the soap felt sticky to me but you know how that goes. I recently formulated a recipe with no coconut and used pko and babassu instead. Its such a different soap but boy it really makes your skin feel good. I added jojoba beads for a mild exfoliant and the bars last forever. HTH

Steve

Is it a recipe you could share? If not I understand. But it sounds like something I would like to try if you do. Thanks.

Steve

What are the differences between pko and babassu, property and behavior wise? I find it easy to find pko than babassu...

I am definitley making this one!! I will be doing like you said with cutting the castor & adding sugar. Thanks so much everybody for all your great ideas, now I'm excited to start this batch!! I'll be sure to post picks & give a follow up. Thanks!!

Thanks to Talltayl and Lovelylathers. I am still trying to process the information about the different properties of oils; linoleic, oleic, stearic, etc. So much to learn and test out, so many combinations and outcomes. I am trying to learn how to make very gentle conditioning soap and so far am loving using lots of OO.

Ditto what she said! :grin2:

What are the differences between pko and babassu, property and behavior wise? I find it easy to find pko than babassu...

Babassu has a higher cleansing number than PKO, IMHO it is just a glorified coconut. To line them up from the most to least cleaning, it would be Babassu, Coconut, PKO.

It also makes more translucent bar than PKO.