First layered loaf

B@BlissStreet

Tried out the new Brambleberry loaf mold from the co-op with my first ever layered/embed loaf. I didn't score the white layer, and had two slices that separated from the pink layer. Not sure if I didn't get enough alcohol spritzed in or if the scoring would have cured that. The heart embeds are glycerine m/p tinted with Raspberry Pop mica. The white and pink layers are a creamy shea butter soap, again the pink tinted with Raspberry Pop. All are scented Baby Soft (Love's type).

post-12201-139458492749_thumb.jpg

Ok, stoopid newbie question... " I didn't score the white layer" ... I am so new to this its not funny, but in all the books I've read ( 3 ) and all the videos I've watched on YouTube, and all the posts on here and BC I've read... I haven't ever heard of score the first layer ( I suppose to create a better adhersion ).. Do you mind elaborating please ??

I've seen tutorials that score the layers with a fork for adhesion. I'm still super new also, so I was hoping someone with some experience will chime in about it. The glycerine hearts were just embeds; I don't have any tube molds...yet! hahahaha

Ok, stoopid newbie question... " I didn't score the white layer" ... I am so new to this its not funny, but in all the books I've read ( 3 ) and all the videos I've watched on YouTube, and all the posts on here and BC I've read... I haven't ever heard of score the first layer ( I suppose to create a better adhersion ).. Do you mind elaborating please ??

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. Here is a pic of one of the cut bars that separated...anyone have any tips to avoid this? Scoring the bottom layer? More alcohol spritzing? I had so much fun making this, and plan to do more layered practice loafs, so I would love some input! TIA

P.S. I cut a couple bars with a straight edge knife, and several with my wavy cutter. Had one of each separate; the striaght one was an end cut, the other with a wavy...does this affect adhesion? Is one better than the other, or is it purely aesthetic choice?:confused:

post-12201-139458492761_thumb.jpg

Edited by B@BlissStreet

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. Here is a pic of one of the cut bars that separated...anyone have any tips to avoid this? Scoring the bottom layer? More alcohol spritzing? I had so much fun making this, and plan to do more layered practice loafs, so I would love some input! TIA

P.S. I cut a couple bars with a straight edge knife, and several with my wavy cutter. Had one of each separate; the striaght one was an end cut, the other with a wavy...does this affect adhesion? Is one better than the other, or is it purely aesthetic choice?:confused:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23422[/ATTACH]

I did m&P years ago. I seem to recall that you did not let the first layer set up completely solid. ???

I did m&P years ago. I seem to recall that you did not let the first layer set up completely solid. ???

I don't let my first layer cool to completely solid either. I just wait long enough for it to form a layer on top strong enough to hold the embeds. That's what always worked for me and I rarely used alcohol spritzing to hold the layers together.

:laugh2:Out of all the places I would have guessed about where they got the heart embed mold from.... I gotta say...... I was not expecting "Avon" to be the answer !!! LOL Love it!

I know, right? I actually have 4 heavy duty silicon molds from them; all were reasonably priced and very durable.

Thanks to everyone for the advice...I'll make sure to pour faster next time. I was afraid to have the embeds sink, so I let the white layer set up completely.