Trying to make a perfect candle? (a pep talk)

Judy, USMC

I really believe that we get almost too intent in making a PERFECT candle. I know I went through the gamut of emotions associated with the grieving process dealing with the difficulty and quirks of different waxes (paraffin, soy & palm) over the almost 14 years I've been doing this.

I finally got to the point of acceptance ... it is what it is. It is safe, tested and performes well ... it meets the purchaser's expectations and sells ... and that's the best I can expect to do.

The decisive day came when I woke up and realized I was losing income by not selling and was spending/losing even more money to test to perfection. That is/was not a good business decision ... so it was just time to "just get on with it."

Get some independent testers you can trust to give you HONEST feedback. If they would buy it then you should seriously consider selling and setting up all the legalities needed to start your business. There are a lot of big companies making major bucks selling inferior candles while you are still tweaking towards perfection. So draw the line and start selling. You can still test ~ but at least you will start to discover the FOs and size candles that will sell in your area.

Hope you have a successful 2012.

Amen! I completely agree. I have been making soy candles off and on since 2002. I still find I learn new things and tweak now and then; but the basis of my candles have not changed since the beginning. My customers are happy...so I am happy. From day one I never gave a hoot about frost. It did not stop my sales. At one pint I did try to switch to a blend of soy waxes to get a creamier look; but immediately went back because it wasn't worth the hassle. Besides I was taking time away from making sales with what I had been using.

Thanks Judy! Once I have the right wick & wax & it's safe, tested and performs well, I'm out there.

I can't wait to only have to test for the FOs I'll be selling.

NaturallyTru I don't care about frosting or roughness either with the soy. It seems to make it more unique to me. Paraffin, I want smooth, creamy & perfect!

Well said, Judy! Reading this board I often get the impression that some are overly perfectionistic and trying to achieve an ideal that does not exist, and that customers don't care about. As long as the candles are safe, and they don't drown halfway through like store-bought candles do, and they smell good, customers will be happy.

Where is that "like" button at??? I agree 100%...I dont give a rats azz about the rougher look of soy...I been working with it since 2000 and frosting and wet spots...customers DO NOT care as long as it smells good and burns all the way down.

I agree, Judy. I constantly strive to make a quality, affordable, safe, smelly candle. I have more repeat customers every year. I don't sweat the occasional mushroom, I don't put them under a magifying glass looking to see if each fiber in the wick burned equally, I embrace the wet spots, and I don't care about the dewpoint outside when I'm burning the candle. I run check point tests constantly on all my scents and I am secure in the knowledge that my candles are a good purchase for my customers. Its good to be respectful of the flame and its potential for damage but making a candle really doesn't have to be rocket science.

Thank you for this!

I am really going to try and embrace this and accept my candles- I am one of those perfectionists that reads something and then thinks I have to have exact results which is starting to drive me crazy

I do have wonderful feedback on my candles and they are safe- the flickering wick has not been a safety issue at all it just bugs me and i have no huge mushrooms or afterglow or hot glass- so I am going to try and embrace it and get on with it

Unless there is a safety issue with this I am not aware of....LOL

Thank you for the wonderful encouraging post!

Edited by moonshine

I agree....kinda. Some wet spots are fine with me, I don't worry about the dew point or outdoor temp either...lol. However, I am a perfectionist and can't sell a candle that doesn't have VG/Excellent HT and I can't sell one that has a flame flopping around, 2" above the glass or wrapping itself around the wick. Flickering, minimal wavering is expected and perfectly fine.

Some of this probably comes from having had the excellent HT and almost perfect burn with a certain wax/wick combo. Unfortunately, something happened and the HT is gone. I feel the wax changed. It was a supplier blend. Customers/friends, etc. talked about how different they were from anything else they've tried. That is what I strive for. I want a product that stands out.

I do realize I may not find that again but if I can get close I'll be happy.

I am glad that I read this today. I have been making my Soy candles for about 5 years now and I am starting to give more out to friends and they love them. I keep going around and around about starting my candle business. I have tested my Soy candles and they are safe and have a great HT as well as a CT. So I just need to get on with it! Thank you for your post - I need to print out what you said and use it as a reminder in times when I am in doubt! What you said is very true!

I agree as long as you continue your education about candlemaking. Just as in most professions that require or need continuing education keep yourself informed about new methods, techniques, and products that come out so you are as well informed and up to date as you can be.