Hugging

tlc

I've been reading for a few days now about paraffin pillars and see the term "hug" being used. Sorry but I'm dummer than a stump and I can not figure out what in the heck it means. :confused:

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks...

As your pillar burns down it will leave a thin "shell" around the outside - once it burns down enough (2" or so), while the wax is warm and therefore pliable, you should gently/slightly "hug" (put your hands around it) the top edges inward toward the flame. Then it will consume the outer 'shell' as it burns.. you may have to do it several times.. depending on the candle. HTH

Thanks it does help. :)

I am new to pillars and never heard the term before. I'm pillar dumb. I guess I was under the miss-conception that the pillar should burn all the way across (without help/hugging) like a container candle does. Learn something new everyday it seems.

When people buy pillars from me at a craft show I do give them a note about hugging their pillars. I actually very seldom need to hug a pillar - usually when you only burn a short time and end up with an almost tunnel. Then it might need a hug to get going in the right direction again. Burning at a minimum of 3 hours no hugs are required (but always welcome!)

Even the best of pillars need a good HUG once in awhile, some might even go as far as even hugging the candlemaker, it has the outcome of making better candles. A happy candlemaker makes better candles. Have you hugged a chandler today? lol...sorry had to add it to the mix :)

• 10 months later...
I was wondering what would happen too, I just got in a sample of soy pillar, I am glad I read this or I would have hugged away! Does the wax shell break?

I'm testing a soy pillar for the first time and plan on hugging it like I do my paraffin pillars so they self consume...I will let you know! :)

I know that soy wax is very crumbly.

Soy and palm are not pliable like paraffin, they are very brittle and you will not be able to 'hug' them. If wicked properly they should melt down gradually as the candle wick gets lower. Some people like leaving a slight shell as they look pretty with the flame shining through the thin shell.

Soy and palm are not pliable like paraffin, they are very brittle and you will not be able to 'hug' them. If wicked properly they should melt down gradually as the candle wick gets lower. Some people like leaving a slight shell as they look pretty with the flame shining through the thin shell.

I am finding this out now. This latest test is with an lx 24 and it's leaving a shell...burning about 3 or so hours each time. 3 inches wide.

Thank you for this info ChrisR, soy is new territory for me!