The Candle Source FO prices are great, how is the quality?

AlwaysWondering

On 08/11/2016 at 7:40 AM, maryta said:

I use parasoy (tarts) and lots of The Candle Source throw great for me. Two of my favorites (with killer throw) have been discontinued in the last year, though :(   ...they are Blackberry Cobbler and Starfruit and Mango. I have not found any others that are similar, unfortunately. Starfruit and Mango from NG was not nearly the same as TCS's. So frustrating. Anyway, to answer the original question, the quality is outstanding and I always have more hits than misses from TCS.

Sample sizes are only $1.50, which is great.

I made my first trip there today.  I got 20 scents and 4 liquid dyes for $40.  I'm praying these work in 444 so I can increase my profit margin and get away from the shipping fees I'm paying at peak and AH/RE.

Let's see if I can remember them all:

Nag champa

Spearmint candy

Holidazzle

Blue xmas

Berry creme brule

White tea and ginger

Warm vanilla sugar

Sugared spruce

Mango papaya

French vanilla

Spiced Apple and peach

Pumpkin creme brulee

Pumpkin pecan waffle

Banana nut muffin

Butt naked

Melonberry

Lemongrass

Toasted cinnamon almonds

Muscadine grape

I'm missing 1.  I'm most impressed with the strength of banana nut muffin, grape, both creme brulees, tc almonds, the mango papaya and butt naked oob.  I'll follow up with a better review after I get them cured and burned. The lemongrass smells a lot like peaks sage and lemongrass. 

On 8/11/2016 at 4:40 AM, maryta said:

I use parasoy (tarts) and lots of The Candle Source throw great for me. Two of my favorites (with killer throw) have been discontinued in the last year, though :(   ...they are Blackberry Cobbler and Starfruit and Mango. I have not found any others that are similar, unfortunately. Starfruit and Mango from NG was not nearly the same as TCS's. So frustrating. Anyway, to answer the original question, the quality is outstanding and I always have more hits than misses from TCS.

Sample sizes are only $1.50, which is great.

I'm pretty sad about Starfruit & Mango as well.  Great seller for me.  I have 8 oz I may just need to have it duped.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maryta said:

I've only tried the Butt Naked from your list, Sugarfoot!  It is fantastic. Good luck! I'd love to know how the Mango Papaya is. Actually, I'd love to try everything on your list.... :)

I went into their store and smelled pretty much all of the scents in the candles they'd made with the oils.  If it had good cold throw I took note.  I tried to stick with the fall and winter oriented ones but I veered off a little from that.  I'm excited to get that one into wax.  I think it would be very popular.  My best seller is passionate kisses and jamaican me crazy.  My people are fruity   :wink:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

I'm pretty sad about Starfruit & Mango as well.  Great seller for me.  I have 8 oz I may just need to have it duped.

Well, I only have about 1 oz left :(   . I was going to use it up in some soap for myself but maybe I should keep it for duping purposes! I just cannot find another starfruit that I'm really crazy about.

Edited by maryta

2 hours ago, maryta said:

Well, I only have about 1 oz left :(   . I was going to use it up in some soap for myself but maybe I should keep it for duping purposes! I just cannot find another starfruit that I'm really crazy about.

I haven't been able to find another one either.  I've tried so I'll be sure to savor a few oz of this for that purpose.  In the meantime, I emailed them and it's really gone!  They do have Mango Papaya which I might try as a replacement.

Edited by kandlekrazy

• 3 weeks later...

So far, I've poured about half of these scents.  Here are my reviews.  I used 444, 8%.  2-3 weeks of cure

Pomegranate - Very pretty berry scent (more tart with a little sweetness).  good CT, I wish HT were stronger.  It had a weak throw in my living room, but did very well in the bathroom.

Pumpking Pecan Waffle -  Very sweet bakery scent, I could smell waffle and syrup, not sure about pumpkin notes tho. strong OOB, weak CT and HT. I literally smelled nothing after burning it for hours in my closed bedroom

Pumpkin Creme Brule - Super sweet and rich dessert smell.  I can smell the butter, the pumpkin (no spice), the cream and sugar.  There's also a toasted note.  This one is AWESOME!  Very strong HT and CT.  It also lingers.  I burned this in my salon (it's my final test of candles to see if they can overpower other smells).  It's strong there and when I got back from 3 days of not burning it, my studio still smelled like this scent.  I will be repurchasing in large quantities.  I already have advance orders placed from the tester. 

Sugared Spruce - Good CT Good HT.  I've used RE's version and I think I like this one better.  They smell the same but this one is stronger.  I'm testing it in my bedroom now and I can smell it coming up the stairs with the door cracked.  I'll be repurchasing this one.

Banana Nut Bread - Kind of a candy banana scent. like a banana laffy taffy or now and later.  Not a fan of imitation banana flavors personally.  The bread is in there but the 1st note is that candy banana.  However, very strong HT even better CT..although the CT is super candy-like.  Very comforting and warm scent despite the imitation banana note.  I've used Candle Cacoon's version and it's truer IMO to a real banana nut bread baking in the oven.  I have one from Peak that I haven't tested yet.  Undecided if I'll repurchase.

Nag champa - I love this scent and their version is OK.  It had the incense smell but it's not as rich and complex as the one I tried from Peak.  This one is good for someone who wants a more clean and crisp smelling nag champa.  The one from Peak is deeper and has a tad bit of sweetness in the background that I enjoy.  CT and HT is good not great.  Peaks is stronger. 

White Tea Ginger - Such a lovely scent.  I wanted it to work so badly but sadly there is no CT and no HT in my wax.  I did put some in my melter though and it worked that way.  Still not as strong as I would like it.  I may use it in bath and body products.  I think it would sell like hotcakes because the scent is so delicate yet complex. A little tart, a little sweet, a little herbaceous. Very balanced and spa-like.  I think it would appeal to many. 

• Like 2

Spiced Apple and Peach -  You can really smell cooking apple and peaches.  It's light on the spice though.  Very good HT and CT and the scent lingers.  I'll be repurchasing this one.  

Warm Vanilla Sugar.- This one smells really true to the original version with all the complexities.  Smells up a nice sized bedroom and spreads into the hallway and down the stairs.  I need to test it in my salon to see if it can compete with other scents.  So far great HT and great CT

Toasted Cinnamon Almond - OMG I loooooove this scent, it smells like almonds and cinnamon with a toasted note but somehow doesn't come across as bakery to me.  It has a very pretty scent that's lighter than you'd expect.  AWESOME CT but no HT in my wax.  I'm so disappointed I can't use this one in candles.  Once again, I'll be using this one in bath and body products.  It would be great as a lotion, body butter, conditioner, you name it.  Hopefully I can find an almond scent as good as this one that will throw in my wax. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2016 at 7:01 PM, kandlekrazy said:

On 9/22/2016 at 0:48 AM, Sugarfoot said:

I had to call The Candle Source this morning about something and I asked about the Starfruit and Mango and Blackberry Cobbler. They said I could order 25 pounds of it...I asked if they could possibly tell me where they got them from and they said it wouldn't do me any good since the supplier has a 25 pound minimum. Understandably, they didn't want to say who the supplier was. I also got the impression that these two oils were from the same supplier.

2 hours ago, maryta said:

I had to call The Candle Source this morning about something and I asked about the Starfruit and Mango and Blackberry Cobbler. They said I could order 25 pounds of it...I asked if they could possibly tell me where they got them from and they said it wouldn't do me any good since the supplier has a 25 pound minimum. Understandably, they didn't want to say who the supplier was. I also got the impression that these two oils were from the same supplier.

Very possibly but I'm starting to feel they have changed suppliers on some of the regular fo's.  I used to get great results from all and the last order I was very disappointed in some of my regulars, True Lavender being one of them.  Now I'm afraid to order it again.  It would take me 50 years to use 25# of Starfruit & Mango, lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Very possibly but I'm starting to feel they have changed suppliers on some of the regular fo's.  I used to get great results from all and the last order I was very disappointed in some of my regulars, True Lavender being one of them.  Now I'm afraid to order it again.  It would take me 50 years to use 25# of Starfruit & Mango, lol.

Very interesting! I use a few of theirs ... I hope they are not going to be different in the future!  They said that the Blackberry Cobbler and Starfruit & Mango were slow movers (they sold less than 25 lbs of each over at least two years!).

To everyone who loves fresh scents , TCS Clothesline is super duper STRONG in my paraffin wax blend. My neighbors can smell my tarts when I am making & melting this scent. I also have noticed that Cinnamon toasted almonds is very similar to Aztecs Grandmas Kitchen ,love this scent .TCS has the best Butt Naked, Monkey Farts &Lemongrass IMO, gosh & so many more. I have found most of their oils to be wonderful .I love the prompt shipping I always get with this co. I highly recommend Clothesline for fresh clean scent fans ,super strong:) You will not be disappointed :) 

43 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

To everyone who loves fresh scents , TCS Clothesline is super duper STRONG in my paraffin wax blend. My neighbors can smell my tarts when I am making & melting this scent. I also have noticed that Cinnamon toasted almonds is very similar to Aztecs Grandmas Kitchen ,love this scent .TCS has the best Butt Naked, Monkey Farts &Lemongrass IMO, gosh & so many more. I have found most of their oils to be wonderful .I love the prompt shipping I always get with this co. I highly recommend Clothesline for fresh clean scent fans ,super strong:) You will not be disappointed :) 

I'm lost here......Isn't TCS  Tennessee candle or Texas Candle supply?  I didn't go way back on this thread as it is years old, but I was just wondering who you are talking about.

lol

Trappeur

LOL Trappuer , Gosh I did not realize this was a oldie. Oh well it is THE CANDLESOURCE company .Yes it can be confusing. I highly recommend most of their oils ,very good quality on most. First tip I will give you thou ,ppw no go for me . Their clothesline is the BOMB! I wasn't kidding ,my neighbors can tell when I am pouring this one lol. They have a wonderful Mulberry & I do like the Sugared spruce for fall. You may want to give this one a try. The balsam from CS is much stronger ,but TCS Sugared spruce is a different nice aroma. I love CS Balsam too. The Candlesource Brandied Fruit is same as Apple jack & peel IMO. I did read on here that TCS MULBERRY is the same as Peaks or Candlescience ,not sure which one .I use a lot of CS oils & I think you would love some of their oils as well. The shipping is low price flat rate & very prompt. I receive my order in 2 days & I am in TX ,now that's fast service. Please do check this company out .Feel free to message me if your wanting a opinion on any of their oils .I have tried them all & overall very satisfied .Some are hit & miss ,but this is the case with all co. in my experience . TCS has about 12 or more must haves for me lol . Happy shopping ! It never ends right , lmbo ,Kat

26 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

I'm lost here......Isn't TCS  Tennessee candle or Texas Candle supply?  I didn't go way back on this thread as it is years old, but I was just wondering who you are talking about.

lol

Trappeur

Since the post is about The Candle Source, I'm going to assume that's what she means by TCS.  There are too many with those initials!

Yes Kandlekrazy it is a bit confusing . I am referring to the Candlesource ,since Tennessee has closed. I do agree too many initials .I think there is a list on here with the companies & initials they stand for ,however many are the same . I am a newbie & not sure exactly where to tell you to find this .I am sure someone will chime in on this subject . I love many of The Candlesource oils. Fast ship at a low price is the icing on the cake :)

I just placed a order with TCS....They have 2 new scents Hollyberry Mistletoe & Santas Farts lol :)

I sure hope they have not changed their suppliers .I use their True Lavender also & love the scent. It gets frustrating trying to find exact replacement oils. Aztec has Santa's farts as well ,something new for the holiday season. I will be changing the name of this one.... lol

• 4 months later...

Reviving this post because I need to find out from others if you've noticed a difference in oils from The Candle Source, particularly True Lavender.  I thought my last order was different and now I just ordered another # as I was placing an order for other items.  When I went to put the new bottle away of the Lavender, the new is much darker.  OOB it smells good but I'll have to test it to see how it performs.  The old True Lavender was amazing.  I may have to email her to find out if they changed it.

While browsing I noticed White Tea & Ginger posted as not having a HT in 444.  I tell you in C3 this scent almost burns my eyes.  It's very strong both CT & HT.

I also ordered Santa's Farts for the first time and I'm disappointed OOB.  I think it should have some peppermint in it so I will add candy cane to it before I try it.  Smells like a weak sugar cookie to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

Reviving this post because I need to find out from others if you've noticed a difference in oils from The Candle Source, particularly True Lavender.  I thought my last order was different and now I just ordered another # as I was placing an order for other items.  When I went to put the new bottle away of the Lavender, the new is much darker.  OOB it smells good but I'll have to test it to see how it performs.  The old True Lavender was amazing.  I may have to email her to find out if they changed it.

While browsing I noticed White Tea & Ginger posted as not having a HT in 444.  I tell you in C3 this scent almost burns my eyes.  It's very strong both CT & HT.

I also ordered Santa's Farts for the first time and I'm disappointed OOB.  I think it should have some peppermint in it so I will add candy cane to it before I try it.  Smells like a weak sugar cookie to me.

I've only ordered Warm Vanilla Sugar and Fruit Loops from them lately, both are spot on and good throwers for me, but I hope that they haven't changed oils ! 

There are a few older ones that I really want to reorder, like Caramel Coffee Cream, which I would be devastated if they changed, lol.

Also, their Pink Sugar is my fave and my go to Pink Sugar. Same with their Love Spell. So I sincerely hope not !

Is it possible that you got a bad batch of the lavender, maybe ? Would TCS tell us if they changed oils, if we were to ask ? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WaxingPoetic said:

I've only ordered Warm Vanilla Sugar and Fruit Loops from them lately, both are spot on and good throwers for me, but I hope that they haven't changed oils ! 

There are a few older ones that I really want to reorder, like Caramel Coffee Cream, which I would be devastated if they changed, lol.

Also, their Pink Sugar is my fave and my go to Pink Sugar. Same with their Love Spell. So I sincerely hope not !

Is it possible that you got a bad batch of the lavender, maybe ? Would TCS tell us if they changed oils, if we were to ask ? 

Kinda what I asked, did you change suppliers?  Is it possibly going bad?  Doesn't smell bad yet but it's definitely different in color.  If anything my older oil should be darker.

My go to Pink Sugar as well, I didn't order it this time so don't know if that one changed.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Kinda what I asked, did you change suppliers?  Is it possibly going bad?  Doesn't smell bad yet but it's definitely different in color.  If anything my older oil should be darker.

My go to Pink Sugar as well, I didn't order it this time so don't know if that one changed.

That really sucks that it changed for the worse. How disappointing :(