can these be 100% soy

I have a friend who said her daughter-in-law makes pure soy candles. My question is that none of her candles ever get frost and is this possible?? From all I have read here on this forum is you can not prevent it 100% of the time. I have seen her candles and there is never ever any frost. I have my doubts but was wondering what you all think!:undecided

Just from one look, or over time? Just one candle, or all of them? Just one color or FO or all of them?

There is no way to conclusively answer your question. Ask your friend 's daughter-in-law what wax she uses.

She would not tell and yes it is all of them. She never has a problem with frosting that is why I am thinking it is a blend and not all soy. I am no expert so that is why I wanted other opinions.:smiley2:

My opinion is that it is most likely a blend. I can't defend this point of view, but with no issues, ever, pure soy is doubtful. Unless she hides all her frosted candles. With the popularity of soy, I have seen all kinds of candles that claim to be pure, natural (hah) soy, but you can tell they are a blend. Some people may just be ignorant of the fact (which means they should not be making candles), but some are just plain not telling the truth.

This is a very interesting topic to me and this will be going in another direction from the OP but do customers really care if your candle has a little frost on it as long as it really is soy? I would think they are more interested in the scent throw above all else. I don't color my candles so I can hide the frosting issues a little but it's there no matter what I do so I'm just embracing it. If anyone says anything I can tell them at least you know it's all soy and not blended with paraffin.(not that there's anything wrong with paraffin)

Some soy does not frost, especially without FO. A touch of coconut oil I think helps with that. I make soy unscented and uncolored for table candles and they are just fine. A touch of paraffin also helps, but coconut should do the job.

I get to be the contrarian here, with 464 CO did nothing to help with frosting but it did cause properly wicked candles to now be underwicked. CO was of now use to me in my situation.

Edited by rjdaines

USA is really a better solution to stablizing the wax than is Coconut oil, IMHO. There are other oils that can be tried, such as cottonseed oil, perhaps some others... But you have to keep in mind how much extra oil you are adding to the wax. It's only gonna hold so much before it won't burn worth a rip... or the HT is impacted...

I get frosting. I don't see it as much with my pillars. I get it with my container candles. I will say if I melt the wax that I poured in the container and re-pored the wax it seems to take away the frosting, sometimes, not all the time. I am not really sure why this happens. I also use soy wax. Frosting is normal for soy wax. I put that on all my product.

Some do stretch the truth. There was a lady who sold at a farmers market and her banners all around her booth said 100% pure soy natural candles. I admired the vibrant colors and said I was new at making candles (which was a bit of a stretch...but I wanted INFO!) and asked which soy wax she used. Oh, she said, I blend it with parafin, it's the only way here at the beach to get a nice candle with no frosting and no wet spots. SHAME ON HER, leading people to believe they were 100% pure soy.

Frosting is a natural characteristic of soy. It is not a flaw. It is strictly unique to pure soy candles. Often times it is called the "bloom". Actually, many customers are concerned if there is no frosting on their soy candles. It is a way that a customer can tell if their candle is really made with pure, all-natural soy wax. It's part of the soy experience!

Frosting does not seem to affect the scent throw or the burning properties of the candle. You can safely burn a candle with a bloom without worry. Frosting is a particular crystal growth of vegetable oils. It will cause the candle to look dry, which is simply a characteristic of that crystal structure, but has nothing to do with the candle "drying out". To minimize frosting, try to keep your candle out of direct sunlight and florescent lighting. Even changes in the weather can cause additional frosting. It is almost impossible to stop the soy wax from blooming. This is a quote from a soy site.

I have to follow that up with a firm BS! The soy experience? Concerned customers? I used to go to great lengths to explain my wax was a blend of 70% soy, blah, blah blah. The customers look at you with a blank stare and a nod of their head like, "So what?". It just gets petty to worry about truth in advertising and boils down to who has the best smelling candle that lasts the longest. I guarantee that if you made a candle out of cow poop and could make it smell fantastic and last for hours; that no one would ever notice. That's my rant.

Steve