what type of wax

Hi:

My daughter and I are starting a candle business. Mostly right now to do something together. But my entrepreneurial spirit would like to see it grow into something bigger given time. What we are both wondering thought is should we make both paraffin based candles and soy? In essence having 2 separate lines. I want to make colored, fragranced candles but hear that soy is a better, more natural product.

Well it is not that easy. You have to try and test both and see what you like better. A candle business is not something you can start in one day unfortunately. It takes ALOT of testing to get it just right. If a candle is made correctly it does not matter if it is soy or parafin. It will burn clean and evenly if it is made correctly. I personally would not do two lines because I have one that I am bery happy with. Just my opinion though..Most people are very willing to give you tips and help out but noone will give you their exact recipes, etc. as it took them a long time and lots of testing. I would suggest you get a kit of both and see what you like better. Most suppliers sell kits to try. I may add that candle making is not cheap either :-( It took me probably a year to get my candles where I was 100% happy with them. Good luck and happy candle making!

It will take a while and we are willing to do the dirty work. I have just read a lot about soy being apparently better than paraffin wax..toxins and soot issues. I personally like both but I am thinking that paraffin candles would be cheaper to make than soy.

Right now soy is cheaper to buy than paraffin, but harder to get the fragrance right. Sounds like a great father / daughter thing.

Because the wicks and the flame can be very trying to get right, and dangerous if not right, I'd like to suggest a different place to start.

There are a lot of folks who like electric candle warmers. You can buy a warmer at WalMart for $15 that is quite nice. Lots of folks do that. So making the scented wax that goes into it is just as involved about using the right wax and the right scent but takes out the issues of selecting the right container and the right wick (which is a huge dollar issue as well).

If this sounds interesting, take a look at our wickless board here. You can get clamshell containers cheaply enough ($122 for 875 or even less if you go in on a co-op with others). The wax can be either paraffin or soy. There are a half dozen or more soy waxes on the market and a dozen or more paraffin. The wickless forum will help you weed out the ones that don't work for clamshells.

I have tried soy, paraffin, parasoy and palm waxes. i am definately a paraffin person. For me paraffin works better, but it may be different for you (one wax does not fil all). Personally, I believe that all the "benefits", "advantages" of soy over paraffin are hype. EricofAZ gave you a good link; it's the same one I have on my website.

I also think starter kits are a good idea. I'd get paraffin and soy kits. Here are a few links to suppliers who sell candle making kits

From Cajun:

http://www.cajuncandles.com/container-candle-making-kits.html (paraffin)

http://www.cajuncandles.com/container-soy-wax-kits.html (soy)

From Candlewic:

http://www.candlewic.com/store/Product.aspx?q=c66,p793 (soy)

http://www.candlewic.com/store/Product.aspx?q=c66,p792 (paraffin)

http://www.candlewic.com/store/Product.aspx?q=c66,p795 (palm - pillars)

From Peak's:

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Soy-Container-Candle-Starter-Kit__K1004.aspx (soy)

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Scented-Container-Candle-Starter-Kit__K1003.aspx (paraffin)

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Scented-Votive-Starter-Kit__K1001.aspx (paraffin - votives).

HTH

P.S. This is not going to be an inexpensive hobby, plus it can become addictive; you've been given the heads up, LOL

"P.S. This is not going to be an inexpensive hobby, plus it can become addictive; you've been given the heads up, LOL"

Ravens, where were you when I thought it might be a fun hobby to make candles? I shudder to say what I've spent in the last year and a half.

"P.S. This is not going to be an inexpensive hobby, plus it can become addictive; you've been given the heads up, LOL"

Ravens, where were you when I thought it might be a fun hobby to make candles? I shudder to say what I've spent in the last year and a half.

+1. And where were you 3 years ago when I had this crazy idea in my head to begin making candles. I could have bought a new car with the money I have spent already. Sometimes we do some totally crazy things. We get very frustrated. We get days when we really don't want to pour anything, but orders have to be filled and stock needs to be made for markets and parties. Unfortunately you cant take the day off like you can with a regular job (which I did on Friday to get stock finished for orders and markets on the weekend - bad boy....LOL)

LOL, I feel your pain, Eric. And to think I believed it'd be a cinch to make a container candle! Like you, I refuse to think of all the $$$ I spent on wax, FOs, wicks, etc. etc.

Lol, okay guys.....yes it is probably an expensive hobby....BUT you guys have probably been doing this for some time now. Have any of you made decent money selling your finished products?

I'm still waiting! :shocked2: Made money? yes! Decent? Well that depends on what your idea of decent is...lol

Lol, okay guys.....yes it is probably an expensive hobby....BUT you guys have probably been doing this for some time now. Have any of you made decent money selling your finished products?

Let's just say it's a good thing I have my "real" job. LoL. I'd hate to have to pay my mortgage on my soap and candle profits.

I never got into soy .. just para for me.. I guess I never got into the " soy" hype either. The wick, the fragrance and the dye are not soy and I believe once you put none soy products into soy wax, how can it be 100 % soy candle?? :/ I have bought soy candles from people on here and I actually dont mind them.. I give them kuddos for having the power to make an awesome candle out of a difficult wax but it just isnt for me. Good luck in whatever you decide to try. You gonna have customers that want one or the other. Just prepare to talk up your candles and why they should buy them over the other. If you choose soy- tell them why they should choose soy-- if you choose para-- tell them why :) I always come back with the wick, dye and fragrance arent soy and they understand it and get it. Just my opinion :)

Money?? We make money in this business?? SAY WHA????

Vicky-- with the candles you make hun-- I'm surprised that you arent retired yet on your fortune because your candles are gorgeous!

Edited by dcroome2005

Soy is not "better" or "healthier" than paraffin (unless you ask someone who sells only soy). Soy is "greener" and has less impact on the environment than paraffin. But soy wax is hydrogenated, which means carbon is added to the wax by the same companies that produce paraffin. So soy is not any more natural than paraffin (unless you ask someone who sells only soy). Also soy smokes just as much as paraffin, but the smoke is gray to white and is therefore not as visible. There are no toxin of concern released in either soy or paraffin. There is a German study out there on the web which tested smoke from both candles and found no difference (unless you ask someone who sells only soy).

My line includes both soy and paraffin. Bottom line is that there are many people out there who either believe soy is healthier or for whatever reason, just want soy. So why not give them both...

I started with a paraffin votive kit. You pick out the fragrances and they send you the molds, wax, fo, wicks and color. I made up a couple of dozen votives and bought some holders and gave them to friends for Christmas (make sure and test before giving). You don't have to spend a lot of money for this hobby but a business is another story. Best of luck.

Steve

You know what though? It is a fun pain. I very much enjoy learning new things. Cut and curl and hurricanes are the latest rage with me. One of these days I want to weld up some wrought iron and make a real chandelier. Gel is on the list too. So I'm not done spending yet. No ma'am, I am not and you can't do anything about it!

:soap baby dance:

Edited by EricofAZ

I started out with paraffin wax. Then moved on to soy, parasoy, then palm. I worked with each one for a couple of years or more before trying a new one. My advice based on my experience is get to know all about one wax, how it performs, how to handle it, how to manipulate it, etc., before you move on to another. I have seen way too many newbies lose patience and blame it on the wax after trying ten different waxes not learning a thing about any of them.