Email We received on our website... Things that make me go WTF????

Johnna

Hello, I was wondering if you could tell me the blend of the

wax you use percentage of each or what brand. I really like your candles

and was wanting to try making some of my own. Thanks! (name omitted).

While I am at it I should just through in all our suppliers for fo and the recipe book...NOT.

I have yet to reply to this email... I figure I will later on when my mind is quieter and I can be totally business-like...lol

I've had one that was similar. My response:

"Hi, thanks for the compliment on the candles I make. I work with a special blend that I have personally developed. If you are wanting to start working with candles there are plenty of websites and supplies with instructions on how to use the waxes and blend your own candles. It would be better for you to discover your own blend that works for you. I'd suggest doing a web search for "how to make candles" to get you started."

Didn't hear from them again after that. *shrug*

I've gotten these types of emails for at least 12 years now. Used to respond, but was called a "bitch" and "selfish" for not giving out info...oh yeah, and "anal" too!:shocked2: Over the years the tone has changed somewhat to include either "I won't be any competition for you because I only want to make them for myself,friends, and family"(gee, I only sell on the internet, so do you think some of these individuals could be my customers?:laugh2:), or "I think your products are AWESOME! Since I plan to retire in a few years and would love to make candles, could you answer a few questions for me?" For some reason, people seem to think that when you are a small business, working from home, you're not serious, or a real business.

Hate to tell you this, too, but some of these requests come from people that are phishing. They send emails that supposedly look legit, to make sure the email is active, and than the scamming emails follow, if you respond. Not right away, but within a couple of months. I've saved suspicious emails(that's what I call these) and compare the source against some of the spam. Sure enough, some match.:tiptoe:

1 cup crisco oil, 1/2 cup soywax, 1 cup self-rising flour, 1/2 cup fragrance. Heat until the soywax begins to melt, give it another stir, stick a wick (any type and size will do); voila`! Please note: results cannot be guaranteed.

1 cup crisco oil, 1/2 cup soywax, 1 cup self-rising flour, 1/2 cup fragrance. Heat until the soywax begins to melt, give it another stir, stick a wick (any type and size will do); voila`! Please note: results cannot be guaranteed.

lol! This sounds interesting!

Even if the person was 100% genuine, they don't appreciate the money, time/testing you went thru. Many people don't.

And many people do...that's why they want it handed to them. And these are the type that give us all a bad name.:tiptoe:

This reminds me of back when I was fresh out of High School & working my way through college. I worked Security at Six Flags Magic Moutain. If you were posted at one of the drive on gates, you were bound to get some random tourist pulling up and asking for directions to Disneyland. The guys would always give them random directions taking them far the opposite direction.

Do like other company's do when you want to know how they made there cookies, bread, etc. It will cost you $12,000.00 for my sceret blend. Tell them it takes alot of your time and this is the cost for it.

It happened to a friend of mine that went to a resturaunt and wanted to know how to make the cookies they had, she got a bill for it. Very expensive cookie.

I have a lady come in to my store a few years back, hand me a tablet of paper and a pen and ask me to write down my wax name and wicks I use. She said she googled candle making but too much confusing info came up. I politely explained how much time and money I invested in developing my candle formula and she would need to do the same. She stood there and stared at me for what seemed like forever. Finally my husband gave her back her pen and paper and told her to have a nice day.