What are your 5 top helpful tips for a newbie?

Hello from a new member! After a bit of research here I just placed an order with Candle Science for Ecosoya CB 135, some beeswax to mix in, jars and wicks, and a small assortment of FOs. Looking forward to experimenting with them!

I was wondering if any of you would mind sharing 5 or so of your top helpful tips, little things you've discovered after trial-and-error and wished you knew when you started out. And I'd also appreciate any other helpful advice. Thanks! :cheesy2:

I'm still kind of a newb myself but here are my top 5.

1.Don't buy an entire case of wax until you know it's the one you are sure you want to use.

2.Try and refrain from buying 100 different f.o's until you have decided on a wax and a wick type/size(you'll run out of room real fast,lol)

3.Research the companies you are gonna buy from before making a purchase(i've bought some pretty shoddy f.o's b4)

4.Every candle maker is different.Take every suggestion you get with a grain of salt and don't just expect that what works for one person will work for you.

5.Most importantly,KEEP GOOD NOTES! This one really IS the best advice I can give ya!

Also....HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Btw,you've already made a big step in the right direction by finding this site!!There is a TON of priceless info here!Familiarize yourself with the forum search(it will be one of your best friends!)Also,my 5 fav suppliers are:Nature's Garden,Peak's,Bitter Creek North,Candlescience,and Alabaster.(Note:Alabaster has something going on right now and they have been out of products for quite a while so..i'm not sure of the stability of this company)But when they are in stock,they have some awesome oils that I love and cannot find anywhere else.Everyone is different and there are many other good suppliers out there,these are just my personal favorite that I have tried so far!Hope this extra info helps!!Good luck!!

I don't make candles, only tarts but I love reading the candle threads. Really pros on this board! Seems to me, the wick is a huge part of the success of the candle. Wicking up, wicking down....fascinating. Seems that the fragrance oil make a huge difference on the wick, as does the size of the jar. I also found it fascinating that too much oil can actually decrease scent throw in a candle as it can choke or clog the wick. I've also learned that once your rolling and you have a question, make sure you include all the details like wax, wick size and type, dimension of the jar or container, FO and percentage used per pound.

My only advice is ALWAYS check the classified section here. I've gotten some really, really good deals.

One last thing, the moderators recently updated this board and the search function is not properly working yet. It's a GREAT search function but right now will only show post from 2008 or earlier which is problematic. Once it's fixed, you will love this board even more!!!!

Great advice above, but as a newbie, you have to wait for full access to the board. My personal biggest tip: don't get discouraged from posters who belittle your question, or tell you to do a search. If you have done your due diligience and still have a question, go ahead and ask. Many will respond; sort the malicious from those that are willing to help. Good luck!

I'm brand new to this forum as well, and my best advise is read. There is tons of good info here, old and new. If you don't get a lot of answers to your first posts, don't get discouraged. Keep reading, these guys are awesome.

Great advice above, but as a newbie, you have to wait for full access to the board. My personal biggest tip: don't get discouraged from posters who belittle your question, or tell you to do a search. If you have done your due diligience and still have a question, go ahead and ask. Many will respond; sort the malicious from those that are willing to help. Good luck!

I agree. Many newbies are scared away because of the 'not so helpful' responses they get- if they do not want to help you they do not have to respond.

I would be sure not to under-price your work and your time!

Make sure you test test test, you may have to use different wicks for different fo.

Have fun... this is not a get rick quick business, so if you do not love it, don't waste your time and money!

Welcome!

1. Locate your nearest distributor and forget craft store wax and supplies (less shipping charge or you can pick up and save shipping)

2. Start with a kit (you pick out the fragrance oils and type of wax)

3. Ask a few friends or family members to volunteer as testers (don't depend on just your own reviews)

4. Test 1 oz fragrance oils and remember that close-outs means you may not be able to satisfy a request for another candle in a limited fragrance

5. Set up a computer account and log everything in that you buy and whatever else you can think to add to your data base (it will grow quickly)

Be prepared to test, test, test, and test some more before you find something that you're satisfied with. Don't get discouraged--some "failures" turn out to be great learning experiences. Also, don't be afraid to buy sample sizes. In the very beginning I had that bulk=cheaper mentality and I was doing everything to save on shipping, but when you don't know what's out there it's a better idea to sample first and then order what works for you. Writing down good notes, as mentioned, is so important. I didn't do that in the beginning and had to redo a lot of experimentation. And definitely invest in a scale so you can measure accurately by weight. I've found candle making to be an extremely fun (and expensive!) experience.

Exactly. Create a new file and title it your candle business and then create new files to place inside it. I use Excel to keep a running account of all the fragrance oils that are in stock and if they are limited. All my labels, wholesale accounts ect. and then back them up on Dropbox or whatever you like to make sure you don't lose that valuable information. I just wish someone had told me that making a great candle was so complicated. HTH

Steve

My personal biggest tip: don't get discouraged from posters who belittle your question, or tell you to do a search.
But do learn to use the search function and try that before asking. If you don't find what you are looking for or need clarification, then ask.

You will find you learn an incredible amount just reading through the posts that don't address your question!

Edited by CareBear

Thanks everybody! I'm taking lots of notes :) The whole process of this is just fascinating to me, I never would have thought there was so much science and experimentation involved. I'm looking forward to when the search function here is fixed; the things I've tried researching so far only pull up fairly old posts, so it will be nice when searches pull up newer info. How long does it take to get full access to the board? I tried to respond to someone selling FO's in the classified section but after I logged in it wouldn't let me do anything :/

Thanks again!

1. Keep it simple. Start with one container and a few scents and work with it until you are happy. Trying a bunch of sizes and scents at first will eventually overwhelm you.

2. Find a local supplier for wax and jars if at all possible. You can save a bundle on shipping.

3. Label your testers! You will think that you will remember what wick you are testing and what oil, etc., but you will not remember. Trust me.

4. Don’t sell (or give away) too soon. If your candle isn’t great, you will lose all of your potential customers for the future. Have patience and make a candle you can be proud of. You don’t want to have to cringe when Aunt Mary tells you that your candle was a torch or kept going out.

5. Get a Presto Pot to melt your wax in if you find that you like making candles. It will save you a lot of time and mess.

I also found it fascinating that too much oil can actually decrease scent throw in a candle as it can choke or clog the wick.

I don't understand this thing of the FOs clogging the wick because the wick & the flame don't throw the scent, the melt pool throws the scent. I'm new but out of the four cases of candles I've made so far, the weakest scent throw was from 1 oz of FO p.p. of wax, and the hot throw was better but still too weak when I used 1 1/2 oz FO p.p. of wax, but when I used 2 oz of FO p.p. of wax I got a good strong HT. I don't understand why my results were the opposite of what I've been reading about the amount of FO.

I don't agree with using only 1 oz/FO per #. I use about 8 or 9% with most FOs, a few a little less. My best selling candle requires a full 10% FO, that is 1.6 ozs per #. It just depends on scent. You have to be careful that your wax will hold the extra FO. The FO will leak out in little droplets if too much. That is why your own testing is so important! Carole

I don't agree with using only 1 oz/FO per #. I use about 8 or 9% with most FOs, a few a little less. My best selling candle requires a full 10% FO, that is 1.6 ozs per #. It just depends on scent. You have to be careful that your wax will hold the extra FO. The FO will leak out in little droplets if too much. That is why your own testing is so important! Carole

I 100% agree. I generally, with a few exceptions, use 8% on candles with wicks and 9% on wickless. I've smelled my share of 6% hand poured candles that weren't even remotely close to mine, throw-wise.

My best tip: Run, don't walk. With the economy being in the crapper, sales being low, supplies doubling in price over the last 2 or 3 years, and same for shipping costs, I wouldn't want to be starting out now. I'm not saying that to discourage you. But you need to realize you will spend an incredible amount of money and waste an incredible amount of components before you have a product worthy of selling. I'm glad I'm not a newby.

You are in the best part of the experience. It's all new and exciting. I started with a paraffin votive kit and learned a lot of useful first hand information about how a candle system works. There are a number of good soy or paraffin votove/pillar waxes to choose from and the votive holders are cheap and plentiful at the dollar store or wally world. Usually a pound of votive wax and a one ounce fragrance oil sample will render about 9 votives. Tarts/clamshells are another great option if you aren't interested in wicks. The old posts are a gold mine of information that is still being used by most everyone today. Enjoy being a newby and good luck.

Steve

All really great tips. Also, if possible, try to make candles in a place separate from where you cook. If not possible, keep all family and pets away while you make candles. There is one old post up here from a person whose husband got sick after eating a sandwich that got FO on it. Also don't work with hot wax when you are too tired, you don't need a mess to clean up. Get a bottle of dye remover and a bottle of wax remover. Keep copious notes-record the wax, the scent, the percent of FO, the colors, the jar, how long you burned, how deep is the melt pool, how did it throw, how big is the mushroom, how much wax is hanging up, how tall or short is the flame. Be patient. I had one FO that it took me over a year to wick. You can help control your budget by buying samples of FO, samples of wicks, and samples of wax. I prefer to use companies that will ship via the Post Office as this saves me a lot on my small orders. Candlescience is one of my favorites because of this. You can also save on samples in the classified on this forum or even on eBay. Just make sure the FO samples are from companies that are still in business as many do not exist any more. Read as much in the old posts as you can, great stuff in there. Have fun and welcome to the madness.

Thank you, bug & Sliver! All these posts about getting the strongest HT with only 6% FO have been driving me nuts! Your comments give me peace of mind. :)

I had a thought based on someone else's comment, definitely don't go and give away early in your candle business. Especially if you're doing this for business and not just for crafts to give to friends/family. There's a serious financial danger to it. Word will get around that you give freebies and it will make it much more difficult to sell a candle. Samples are ok, but remember, if you give too many samples out, you will lose money and possibly to the point of bankrupting yourself. Also, don't short change yourself on your cost. At bare minimum, take and figure out what each candle will cost you to make. Then settle on a percentage that you want to make as commission, and don't forget to include cost of any molds or equipment in your figuring. I'm not saying to charge the cost of a pouring pot for every candle, but remember, even with the best care your stuff will wear out and will have to be replaced. It happens more frequently if you drop equipment or molds.

Also, some plastic molds react badly to certain mold cleaners or dye removers. Lesson learned ;P

I could not agree more with lgcandles. I had the buy bulk=cheaper but what I learned quick is that candle making takes time and test test test. I made more candles for myself and family to try out before I would sell them to anyone. I would try different scents, waxes, etc to find the ones you love to work with. Also, be ready to have writers cramp, take notes galore!!! Most of all, HAVE FUN.