SquareUp

Beezy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sisters3, I have an Android phone (Motorola Droid X). I have tried using a stylus (I believe designed for an iPhone or iPad) and it doesn't work very well on my phone. I did have a friend who has an iPhone4 try it, and it seemed to work much better on his iPhone. Don't spend a lot of money on one though, they can be gotten through places online for as little as 3/$10. I believe most of them are pretty much the same, just with some having much higher prices. Do a Google search for "iPhone stylus" and you will see plenty to choose from. For a few dollars, it's worth trying one out.

Hope that helped.

Can't say I tried any of the stylus out there but did try this with the end of a pen and a paint brush end (not the fluffy side) =) and it didn't work for jack... I have a Nexus S 4G and from what I understand of most Android phones is they work off touch AND the heat of your finger...

Now I did see the new update coming to some Android phones (Ice Cream Sandwich) might have worked in the "touch" input for a stylus, so it might work once's up? Who knows....

Anyways, I have found that sitting the phone on a table and having them sign there works so much better then having them hold the phone and sign... I swear anytime I have them hold it they ALWAYS hit a button and either backs out or skips the signing (which wont let you go back too)... So on the table it sits for them to sign now =)

sisters3, I have an Android phone (Motorola Droid X). I have tried using a stylus (I believe designed for an iPhone or iPad) and it doesn't work very well on my phone. I did have a friend who has an iPhone4 try it, and it seemed to work much better on his iPhone. Don't spend a lot of money on one though, they can be gotten through places online for as little as 3/$10. I believe most of them are pretty much the same, just with some having much higher prices. Do a Google search for "iPhone stylus" and you will see plenty to choose from. For a few dollars, it's worth trying one out.

Hope that helped.

Super, thanks so much for the hint, off to google now!

Edited to say GREAT info about laying it on the table EccoLights, my luck they would hit the REFUND button......

Edited by sisters3

• 1 month later...

bringing this back up to get more information from everyone using Square. I have to wait until January to upgrade my phone to one that will accept Square so I'm still researching. I've been reading the Square user agreement about receipts and it says .......

21. Receipts.

When your customer is present at the time of the transaction and signs the Square Signature Screen, you benefit from the Payment Network rules for card present transactions. You agree to request that your customer personally sign for all transactions greater than $25.00 when your customer is present. You must make a written receipt available to your customers for any transaction greater than fifteen dollars ($15.00). You may give your customers the option to receive or decline a written receipt. As a convenience, but not in lieu of a written receipt, you may also offer Square electronic receipts for delivery through SMS or email to your customers.

....... so my question is ...... how do you give your customers their written receipts if they request one ? Is there a receipt printer available that will print from the Square app ?

bringing this back up to get more information from everyone using Square. I have to wait until January to upgrade my phone to one that will accept Square so I'm still researching. I've been reading the Square user agreement about receipts and it says .......

21. Receipts.

When your customer is present at the time of the transaction and signs the Square Signature Screen, you benefit from the Payment Network rules for card present transactions. You agree to request that your customer personally sign for all transactions greater than $25.00 when your customer is present. You must make a written receipt available to your customers for any transaction greater than fifteen dollars ($15.00). You may give your customers the option to receive or decline a written receipt. As a convenience, but not in lieu of a written receipt, you may also offer Square electronic receipts for delivery through SMS or email to your customers.

....... so my question is ...... how do you give your customers their written receipts if they request one ? Is there a receipt printer available that will print from the Square app ?

I have recently read an article when square released their latest date and it allows you to hook up to a receipt printing device (make sure it's compatible with square and the iPad. Not sure if it works with the phone or not) This last craft show I did I only offered a receipt via email or text and some did it but most did not care about a receipt.

For us we still hand write out a receipt for all purchases, even with a CC payment. Then we give that to our customer and also offer to email or text their receipt as well =)

Hope that helps and let me tell you... you won't regret getting SquareUp =) We love it!

hello I was wondering when you sign up what do you guys pick when it ask how are you using? do you choose retail, individual,or personal use? I have a state business license but I do not have a EIN# not sure which to choose

I want to thank the OP and all the people who have Squared Up, for this thread. I had no clue this thing even exsisted ( guess I live under a rock ! ) . I was going to get Pro Pay and the swiper and all that, but this sounds so much better and yall seem to like it a LOT more. I don't have an Iphone or Ipad or whatever this calls for, but, if yall love it as much as you seem to, looks like Im going phone shopping after the first of the year!

Thanks again everyone! It means a LOT that everyone shares like they do on here. It really helps so many of us out !!!!

The only bad thing is if you are traveling doing craft shows, some areas here in the north do not have cell access. Otherwise I would check into it.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I do some shows where there is no signal. Can't even send a text. Would not work to great for me.

Since I have had Propay I have only had 2 people ask if I take credit cards and I have had it for a year. Most people just pay cash. I even had an "I Accept Credit Cards" sign set up but still only have used it twice.

Granted, I may not be at the point as most here. I guess when I get to that point I will check into it more. But the way technology goes there will be 5 new better and bigger things to look at. :shocked2:

I want to thank the OP and all the people who have Squared Up, for this thread. I had no clue this thing even exsisted (guess I live under a rock!)

I second that sentiment!! My techie interest has diminished with the years and it's wonderful to hear of newfangled stuff like this. That might prompt me to get a smart phone when nothing else would have moved my "dumb" self in that direction!

I second that sentiment!! My techie interest has diminished with the years and it's wonderful to hear of newfangled stuff like this. That might prompt me to get a smart phone when nothing else would have moved my "dumb" self in that direction!

I have to agree too. I've never been a techie type person, especially when it comes to cell phones. Just show me how to turn it on and how to answer if it rings !!! Never needed or cared for all the extra "bells and whistles" of a phone. Square has changed all that. We went ahead and got new phones last week so I could use Square and after using a cell phone for over ten years, I sent my very first TEXT to my daughter the other day. And my daughter is ecstatic !!!! LOL

What happens if you can't get a wifi/cell signal at a show? Not only is my only alternative for a Droid has spotty coverage, but I know I've been in some downtown shows with normal massive cell coverage, and I can't get a signal for crap. I'd hate to have to run outside with someone's CC every time I needed to make a sell... or , be in an area where I can't get cell signal . Is there any way to use Square up like Propay and store the number til later? Or any other alternatives. I have my Square, was going to get a Droid for Christmas, but if its more trouble than its worth, I'll skip the expense of the Droid purchase.

Anyone had it and not been able to swipe? Whatd you do?

What happens if you can't get a wifi/cell signal at a show? Not only is my only alternative for a Droid has spotty coverage, but I know I've been in some downtown shows with normal massive cell coverage, and I can't get a signal for crap. I'd hate to have to run outside with someone's CC every time I needed to make a sell... or , be in an area where I can't get cell signal . Is there any way to use Square up like Propay and store the number til later? Or any other alternatives. I have my Square, was going to get a Droid for Christmas, but if its more trouble than its worth, I'll skip the expense of the Droid purchase.

Anyone had it and not been able to swipe? Whatd you do?

If you don't have cell service or wifi your swipe will not process. You cannot save CC numbers either. Your basically SOL so if you will need an alternative or plan on only taking cash or checks. Thanks! HTH