SquareUp

Beezy

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about SquareUp (https://squareup.com/).

This would be a good thing for vendors who do Trade Shows, or allow customers to pick up, in-person.

You DO need to own/use an iOS/Android device in order to use this service.

You download the App from the App Store/Andriod Market, and the App allows you to swipe or enter credit card numbers, take a picture of what it is you're selling, and email/text your customer a receipt.

Basically you sign up for SquareUp, and they send you a free credit card reader. (you can also buy one for $10 at the Apple store, and you get the $10 back as soon as you get your account setup, making the card reader free) There are NO signup fee's, or Monthly fee's. You pay 2.9% for swiped transactions, and 3.5% + 15¢ per transaction if you manually enter the credit card number.

SquareUp is LEGIT, I do not work for them, It is owned/founded by the CEO of Twitter.

Thought i'd share this info because it's so convenient to have while out on the go!

John

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as I finally bought a smart phone, I signed up for SquareUp. It is very easy to use and set up. I believe there are a few people that use it on the boards. Of course, I do not really do many shows, so have not had the chance to use it yet (other than running my own card to see how it worked).

Cheers,

Steve

We use SquareUp as well... My wife uses it all the time as an Independent Contractor in a hair salon, we ran the numbers between CC processing companies vs SquareUp, and with our volume SquareUp was the better choice. Our fees would be about equal either way, but with the Square app there is no contract or monthly fees or credit checks or equipment to purchase (we already had DROIDS). It has been an AWESOME app, and we love it!

The lady who cuts my hair used SquareUp the last time I was there and said she loved it. In researching it I've read testimonials of several people who complained of not receiving their money from SU for months. Has anyone here experienced any slow pay issues with them?

The lady who cuts my hair used SquareUp the last time I was there and said she loved it. In researching it I've read testimonials of several people who complained of not receiving their money from SU for months. Has anyone here experienced any slow pay issues with them?

The only times I've heard of this problem is when someone has not properly completed the initial setup process tying their square account with their bank acct.

Ditto that. The only time I've heard of it was from accounts that the subscriber didn't have all routing and account numbers in order. Simple to remedy.

The only times I've heard of this problem is when someone has not properly completed the initial setup process tying their square account with their bank acct.

The only thing that I can think of, is that if you accumulate over $1000 in charges in a week, they put a 30 day rotating hold on the extra funds. I guess, if you do a lot of charges, Square may not be the best solution for you. For me, it works out great, I may sell $2500 at one of my big shows, but usually less than $750 are in credit cards, since my candles are all < $25 each.

• 3 months later...

Finally got the nack of swiping a credit card on this thing. If you have this and it says "swipe faster" they really mean that. I feel like I'm throwing my shoulder out to swipe that fast! Haha! But really swipe super fast and it will work. Just in case anyone has been having issues with this.

Edited by jackbenimble

Question - I have an iPad and I understand I can use su on it. Is that true and if so, do I have to be "on line" to use it? A lot of my shows would not be in places that would have wifi.

Hi WG- I have an iPad also and yes you do. I have the 2 and choose to also include the 3G for this very reason. As long as you have a network signal it will go through. But check their website just in case my info was incorrect.

Love it!! I actually just switched my hubby's IT business to it too because when I looked at our past fees it was a no brainer. I am actually getting ready to upgrade my phone, one of the requirements will be that it is compatible with this app (most/all should be at this point anyway but I WILL be checking!)

The only thing that I can think of, is that if you accumulate over $1000 in charges in a week, they put a 30 day rotating hold on the extra funds. I guess, if you do a lot of charges, Square may not be the best solution for you. For me, it works out great, I may sell $2500 at one of my big shows, but usually less than $750 are in credit cards, since my candles are all < $25 each.

You can request for them to raise your weekly limit to avoid this. I use Square and my weekly charge limit is $6000. That is the highest volume I have done in a week during my busy season so I wanted to be sure. They did need to verify some things but they will raise your limits to over $1000 if requested and they do not see complications. :)

are these really that easy to use ? even for those of us who are pretty much computer illiterate ? LOL Seriously though ... I've never operated a credit card machine / app so am very curious about just how easy this is to use. I will be selling my tarts for the first time in the near future and an extremely simple to use system would be right up my alley.

Jo

are these really that easy to use ? even for those of us who are pretty much computer illiterate ? LOL Seriously though ... I've never operated a credit card machine / app so am very curious about just how easy this is to use. I will be selling my tarts for the first time in the near future and an extremely simple to use system would be right up my alley.

Jo

It's very simple. You won't regret it!

Ditto, super easy. I open the app in my phone and either manually enter the dollar amount I am charging, then the cc#, exp, cvv and their billing zip code and voila! It sends a email to you telling you the amount they will be sending you and another when they deposit the funds to your bank. To use a card that is present just swipe, enter some minor info and there you are! It is actually much easier than using my old CC machine and batching out etc daily. Plus the lack of gateway fees and statement fees also makes this a better deal. I cut my costs down a little with it. :)

• 1 month later...

Hope this saves some cash for some of you...I just received a sales flyer from Radio Shack, and was surprised to see they are selling the card readers for $9.99. DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM FROM A RETAILER; SQUARE UP PROVIDES THEM FOR FREE ONLINE!

Edited by B@BlissStreet