Better Homes & Gardens brand clamshell tarts $2.00 at Walmart :(

I just saw the big new display at WalMart of their "Better Homes & Gardens" brand $15 tart melters & $2.00 clamshell tarts. I opened & smelled every scent & they smelled good & strong, much better than any of their candles. A Scentsy customer was there buying the tarts & she said that she & her daughter like them as well as Scentsy tarts.

I know I just got back from Walmart myself and seen them :(

sigh... :sad2: I guess the only way to compete is by having FOs that they don't sell.

& all their 16 oz & 18 oz candles are $5.00, in apoth jars, mason jars, & round candle bowls with 3 wicks. But my cousin tells me they are smokey & don't have much hot throw, & I hope she's right.

I bought a balsam and cedar wood clamshell at Christmas time and that thing threw like crazy! I was very impressed.

Thanks for the review! I think I'll get their melter & some tarts to try, but I hope this doesn't hurt everyone's tart sales as much as I fear. :(

The CT on these is not very strong...Also, most of the scents were not appealing. I really do not consider Walmart candles competition... if someone wants a $4 22oz candle, they are not my type of customer lol.

However, the melters are pretty good.I picked up a cute acorn one and a cute pumpkin one in the fall...

I am slighty concerned and at the same time happy that BHG tarts are good. I have been reading very, very good reviews on various candle and bath and body forums that my customers (and yours, too!) post on. I hope that, if anything, it will continue to open the eyes of the consumer to the world of scented wax tarts. This could help with craft fair sales and then build my internet client base for future sales. I have almost 300 scents I offer and I know that BHG will not get that large. Plus, my clamshells are only $3 so I'm not way off on price.

But all the reviews I've read have been very good and the melters are darn cute, too, and a great price.

I just recently bought the clothesline and the scent throw was awesome (sorry to say). It lasted for 2 evenings.

Mine are priced at $3.00 also. No worries here. Customers love the handmade theory.

If you got them at Walmart where were they made? Walmart sells cheap stuff made in China. Don't think anyone has to worry.

You need to be pointing out to your customers that yours are handmade. That also means American made and locally made when you sell at venues like markets and shows or local shops, etc. People want to buy American made and are having a hard time finding anything made here. So be proud of what you make and let your customers know. Point out that it helps our economy.

Nobody can compete with Walmart. I don't see them as competition at all. It's annoying that they have to jump on every bandwagon and sell things cheap.

The thing that Walmart doesn't have is YOU. Be the best customer service person you can be and knock their socks off. Walmart will never have that.

We have to agree with the last 2 posters here =)

In a way, with Wal Mart carrying the tarts and warmers that will only raise awareness about tarts themselves, which in turn will educate some customers as to a new type of candle enjoyment which = more tart sales =) YAY!

Our clamshells are only $2.50 so we are so not worried about this =) YAY SHOPPING LOCAL! =)

sigh... :sad2: I guess the only way to compete is by having FOs that they don't sell.

& all their 16 oz & 18 oz candles are $5.00, in apoth jars, mason jars, & round candle bowls with 3 wicks. But my cousin tells me they are smokey & don't have much hot throw, & I hope she's right.

Yes but have you looked at alot of them wicks aren't center all of them I've seen are a big mess I wouldn't pay 2 cents for them. Look like they sat in the heat on their sides and reset

Yes but have you looked at alot of them wicks aren't center all of them I've seen are a big mess I wouldn't pay 2 cents for them. Look like they sat in the heat on their sides and reset

LOL Yes, they look pretty crummy if you know anything about candles. The 16 oz "Main Stay" mason jar ones, which are "handmade" by The Candle Cottage, look diseased.

I just recently bought the clothesline and the scent throw was awesome (sorry to say). It lasted for 2 evenings.

Mine are priced at $3.00 also. No worries here. Customers love the handmade theory.

The whole clamshell only lasted 2 evenings or one chunk of it?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I bought one clamshell and one warmer. The clamshell is 2.5 ounces. My clamshells are 3 ounces so that's one difference. I have not tested the clamshell from Walmart / Better Homes yet. I'm testing one of mine. The wax heats to about 156 degrees in the cup that is provided so I'm happy with that. My clamshell threw like crazy the first night and I let it sit cool at room temp for 4 days so far and it still has CT. I'll heat it up again when I get done pouring a batch that I'm working on. Then I'll test the clamshell that I bought and report back.

So far, I like the warmer.

This is what buying power does. I suspect the supplier purchased 10 pallets of wax or more to service the walmarts on the west coast. Think about it. I counted 200 or more clamshells on display at one walmart so if you do the math, that's a lot of buying power. Imagine if we could get our wax at $0.25/lb?

Edited by EricofAZ

Well I'm ticked because I checked out the ones online and they are beautiful and the wattage is good. 15 bucks??? Are you kidding? That is dirt cheap, I can't compete with that.I'm getting that red one for myself. As for the clams- I carry almost 380 scents and my clams are 4 ounces and I charge $4.00 and don't have a problem getting that in my area or online at all. The quality will go down as prices for material go up, and customers will stop buying from them. I've seen it happen a few times. Walmart is price -not quality... something that good at that price can't last forever, somethings has to give and who ever is making their candles is not a not for profit org. Next year Walmart will want a better price and the manufacture will not be able to do it.

Currently I have a WM burner for testing and a scentsy one. I do like the WM one better. I work at various WM & I've heard conversation on how well they are selling. I see this as a good thing because it means more people using wax melts & that should translate to more people intersted in melts in general.