Can some one tell me what this is? Pics Attached!

Trussell76

Hello,

This is batch # 2, I pulled these loafs from the molds after 24 hours, and they had this splotchy chalky patterns through out ... not just on the tops, kind of all over at random.. I have attached Pics.

Is this the "ash" that everyone is talking about, or something else?

Can I still use the soap? And what can I do to avoid this?

Oils were: avacado oil, palm oil, coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter

EO: spearmint/ Orange

NO Colorants

Thanks for the help!

Tait

post-13285-139458478746_thumb.jpg

post-13285-139458478752_thumb.jpg

post-13285-139458478757_thumb.jpg

post-13285-13945847876_thumb.jpg

Looks like ash to me. You can buff it out with nylon stockings or don't worry about it at all. It is perfectly useable but it's always uncool to get ash. Once you cut the soap you might get ash on the parts that weren't exposed before.

Hello!

Ok so here are a couple of pics from my sliced sample bars..is that swirling "Ash" or is it a EO issue? can some one clear this up, It looks kinda cool but I would just like to be clear for future reference!

Thanks,

Tait

post-13285-139458478827_thumb.jpg

post-13285-139458478831_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm tempted to tell you that isn't ash. The ash I'm used to is powdery, not chalky. The chalky stuff is more like a scorching and crumbles. When you put your tongue on it, it bites back. This doesn't look like it's going to do that either. Your palm, was it stir or no stir palm?

I'm also not thinking that the orange, (though usually pale orange to yellow in color in EOs) and spearmint (clear in color that I've seen) caused this unless your EOs are cut maybe. I'm wondering if some of this isn't caused by the palm. So what happens when you touch your tongue to your soap?

Ya, doesn't look like ash when it has that swirly pattern. I have seen ash just coat the top or side all the way and not have a pattern like that. It could also be the way it is curing. I have had a bar be dark dark brown on the outside and when it is cut it is a lighter color on the inside.

Like scented asked, does it zap the tongue?

no, it doesn't zap at all, tastes like soap haha...I did use palm on this batch, and another batch, but only got this swirl on this one...? Not sure what kind of palm, purchased it from Cibaria in a 7 # container, it is partially solid and partially liquid....maybe it needs to be mixed?

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure it's the palm oil. I've had this happen when I open and use a new bucket that hasn't been stirred (how do you do that when the bucket is full anyway?) My batches always get better as I get deeper into the bucket. Always tell myself I'm going to stir the next bucket! But, once summer gets here and it arrives all nice and melted off the UPS truck that solves the problem. HTH.

I get ash on almost all of my soap but only on the surface that is exposed to air while it is gelling (or not)

I have never had ash show up on cut surfaces and I've never heard of ash swirled inside the soap.

I don't know what it is but I'm fairly certain it isn't ash.

I did have a soap that looked similar to that this week. It was lavender eo and it almost looks like it tried to separate in the middle but then that part saponified. The entire batch was lavender colored and the "separated" part is more white/clear. I used it, it bubbles well and my hands didn't dry out after I used it. I don't know what causes it but I don't like it.