How to promote your site?

Girl you made huge mistake in the name of your company. I put in a search of "Mi bella candles" and guess who comes up, not you. Thruthfully even people that have bought your candles in the past are going to do a search and shorten you company name because it is easy for them to do.

You might want to consider changing the name. Also because it so close you may also run in to trade mark or copy write issues.

I do not mean to jump on you here but if I made the mistake so will others.

I agree with Vicky on the name. My first thought is what's a Mia Bella site doing here??

I don't know if you're looking for spotters/eyes for the site or not but I noticed a couple things right off the bat.

On the about us page, that first paragraph is very confusing. I'm not great at the "English lessons" so I don't remember what it's called. It switches from the "I" and "we" point of views.

I made the mistake of clicking on the blog and there's aren't any links I can find to get back to your site. :(

Yeah, I'm guessing you'll be receiving a cease and desist letter from the Mia Bella attorneys once they find out about you. I was going to use the name 'Bean' Candles but my attorney advised against it since it's confusingly similar to Beanpod Candles and we're both in the same industry. She said it isn't a guarantee they'd win in a lawsuit but they stand a better chance than I do and besides, who needs the hassle?

I use Google Chrome as my browser and on your 'Candles by Size' page the images aren't showing up. When I click on 'Scented Sachets' the dreaded 'Page not Found' page pops up.

You've gotten off to a good start though - with the website.

I also thought at first glance it said mia bella. Definately need to change the name before mia bella comes after you. Yes you may be a small fry compared to them, but, the big companies seem to enjoy coming after the little guys who give them a little competition. :tiptoe:

ETA: candle jar by size pics are not showing for me either and I also got the same page not found for the scented sachets.

Edited by pleasureridgecandles

Unless I missed it, I did not see any actual pictures of your products..how they look, etc. When I went on Bath & Body products, no picture of your actual product either..how they are packaged, etc.

I personally like to see an actual product.

The colors on your site are very nice..and I agree..you're off to a good start. Good luck!! As far as promoting your site..that's a good question. I'd like to hear how others are doing it.

Unless I missed it, I did not see any actual pictures of your products..how they look, etc. When I went on Bath & Body products, no picture of your actual product either..how they are packaged, etc.

I personally like to see an actual product.

The colors on your site are very nice..and I agree..you're off to a good start. Good luck!! As far as promoting your site..that's a good question. I'd like to hear how others are doing it.

Thank you fo replying and providig those suggestions. I have started to take photos of my candles and other products for the website. A few of them have been added already (Moonlight path, Sex on the beach) just to name a few. I will continue to add more. As for the web site promotion, I would like to hear how others are doing it, too.

There are numerous ways to promote your site some popular ones are:

PPC (Pay for ads on a per click basis).

SEO (search engine optimization is about getting your site listed in the non-sponsored portion of the search engines).

Email Marketing (If you have an email list it's a great way to drive sales to your site, if you don't have a list now is a great time to start building one).

Social Media (this is Twitter, Facebook, etc.)

Word of Mouth (you can create incentives for your current customers to tell their friends).

Display/Banner ads (You can buy or Trade these).

The great thing about the internet is that the options are pretty much endless. The best option for you will depend on what you're looking to accomplish, what resources you have available and what you will be most likely to get done.

Hope this helps give you some ideas.

Also you mentioned you were looking for specific links (like directories) checkout Ontolo.com they have a link building query generator (I believe it's free) that will help you search Google more effectively.

The most effective ways I have found in promoting my site have been at the venues I sell at. I do a lot of craft shows and farmers markets and some wholesale to local retailers. All of my products have my website info and I also take biz cards and other promo materials like coupons, flyers, brochures, etc to shows. I'd say 90% or more of my website sales come from my craft show and market customers.

I also listed myself in search engines and have accounts on Facebook and Twitter. But by far my sales have come from marketing at craft shows and markets.