Label ideas & questions

I'm beginning to look into changing my label. I currenly tie on a folded tag with my logo on the front, a few burning tips inside and website, candle size, & recyle reminder on the back. While this looks really great, the time it takes to fold and puch a hole in those tags and then tie them on... Well I need to streamline a bit.

SO, I'm going to move toward a clear label on the side of my jar. But I don't want to loose the space for quick reminders of burning safety tips (I do have a label on the bottom of jar) or company info. I've seen a candle now and then with a little circle paper INSIDE the candle with a hole punched out for the wick. Both sides of this circle were printed with easily read tips and the website of the company. Anybody here do this? Any thoughts on this idea?

I've searched the forums and can't find a reference to this type of 'label'. I also have searched the net for a few nights looking for sheets of circles to easily print on. No luck. Any ideas?

It might help if I saw a picture of what you were talking about. What I am imagining is a piece of paper/cardstock left inside the candle container that the customer would have to remove before burning? Depending on the setup, it sounds a little like a torch risk in case the customer wasn't bright enough to remove the paper.

Of course I might be thinking of the wrong thing, so a picture would help.

If you're going to go to the trouble of printing a circle and punching a hole in the middle; how is that any different than what you are doing? You can download Avery and they have a circle template or you can use the circle and make it as large as you want and make a master template which is really easy to do. I use a paper from walmart that is heavy stock and has a nice background for my soap wrappers. Very inexpensive and easy to do. HTH

Steve

I know what you are talking about, I have seen the circles they put on top of the candles but never seen any printing on them. sounds like Chuck has a good idea to print them from an avery templet. I also add an additional burn instruction inside the box even tho its also on the bottom of the tumbler.

Jonsie, what you are thinking about is right. I looked for a photo on line and cannot find one. I have wondered if anybody would be dumb enough to light the candle without removing the paper...

And, Steve, you are right... punching holes in a little circle would be part of what I'm doing now already. I did find sheets of die cut circles that would go through the printer all at once. Popping them out would be quick, punching the holes in them... a little time. My time saving would come in because I would no longer have to fold the tags and then tie them on. Then I would be able to have that extra space to say trim your wick, be responsable, recycle your container, and oh yeah, take this little paper out BEFORE you burn this thing.

A new dilemma I've encountered tonight is smudging ink on the clear labels I've printed. I made a new (and beautiful if I do say so myself... I'm excited about it!) label idea to stick on the jar and lo and behold my label is smudged and my fingers are inky.

Do I have to go out and buy a laser printer??? Good Grief!

I checked, the labels I ordered are for inkjet. I just spent the last while reading old posts about smearing ink on clear labels. (I should've known there would be info here...) Sounds like trying Krylon spray on the label sheets after printing will work. I will try that. I also read one post about setting the printer on glossy paper setting so I tried that. It still smears for me. I've even left it to dry for a while... I'll leave it overnight and see if that makes a difference.

I does sound like laser printers do not smudge. I'm actually going to look into what they cost. Business expense, right?

I use the same labels as Jonsie and they will work on either type of printer (mine is inkjet) and they never smudge. They are clear 2x4 labels and they do a great job and look real professional. They'll send you a sample to see if it will work for you, great cs. I had the same problem with some cheapy close outs and the krylon thing was a nightmare. hth

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

I just finished ordering several samples of different clear inkjet labels from online labels. Great tip! Jonsie & Chuck, how long do you let your labels sit and dry... or do you not have to do that?

Until reading your posts this evening I had pretty much decided to go with a khaki colored paper label. I don't want to mess with the time of spraying my label sheets to make them smudgeproof. But I do love the super professional look of the clear labels! I'm anxious to try the online labels and see if they work better. I may have my clear label yet!

Now, patience... until they come in the mail.

By the time I get my labels off the printer and walk to the candle room, they are dry. Sometimes I let them sit for a minute or two, but never had a problem with the ink smearing. I use onlinelabels and labelsbythesheet labels with an inkjet printer. They are not waterproof, however.

Cheers,

Steve

Some of my recent experience with OnlineLabels.com:

OL713CL: Full Sheet Clear Gloss Laser. I tried using this in my HP Photosmart C7200 series, but it smeared and never dried, which makes sense since my HP is like an inkjet. So I use these in my Brother HL-2140 Black ink laser printer, and I am very happy with the results. They do not smear, and by all accounts seem to be waterproof (but I only tested with black laser).

OL713WI: Full Sheet Weatherproof Gloss Inkjet (not clear, but white) . I use these in my HP Photosmart and although it makes for an attractive glossy label, I can't say that they are 'weatherproof'. If I put a couple of drops of water on the label it seems to stain it. Since I am only using these on candles, I decided to try OL713WG as they are half the price of the Weatherproof, and now I am waiting for them to arrive.

Late last night I was reading on the online labels website where I saw info on reducing the amount of ink used in the printer and setting the paper to glossy. I did those things (set printer to a simple text setting) and I thought I was on to something. No smudges!

But this morning, my daughter was able to rub the ink off of one part completely! I think she has clammy hands...:) But still, I thought I had done it, but not quite. Though it was much better. I couldn't get a smudge unless I rubbed really hard, and I don't think customers will do that.

In the mean time, I'm making a ton of candles getting ready for for my first big wholesale show. I just won't label anything yet. :rolleyes2

Thanks for all your help and input. Really appreciated!

Laser is a heat set. Inkjet isn't. Invest in a color laser printer but make sure you change the settings to what you are using. If you use a glossy label and don't change the output to glossy, you will still have some smudging.

Even though the toner is more expensive in the beginning, you have to replace it a lot less than when using those cartridges.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got my samples from Online Labels and right away printed some out. I used the glossy paper setting and a text setting for the ink (less ink than some of the photo options.). Well, I let the labels sit for a while - 20 minutes - and I got a huge smear on it when I ran my finger over the printing. Even hours later, it still smudged badly.

So, I'm sticking with a paper label for now. Maybe my printer just won't work - or the last think I like to think about is operator error! Anyway, I'm not getting a laser printer right now, so paper it is!

Even though you may not want to use a clear fixative spray I suggest you do. Sounds like your print jobs will need it and it will waterproof and smudgeproof your labels. It may not seem that important now but wait till an accident happens and you have to relabel.:rolleyes2

I use the clear labels too. Are you setting the paper to "transparent" or "glossy photo paper"? I have to do this each time I print and mine don't smudge. I use inkjet too.

I also use clear labels and change to transparent each time I print they are dry within a few mins.

Jonsie, what you are thinking about is right. I looked for a photo on line and cannot find one. I have wondered if anybody would be dumb enough to light the candle without removing the paper...

Just fold the wick down and put the label on top. That way the would have to remove.

I checked my printer settings again, no transparent on mine. I've tried a couple different glossy choices (premium, ultra, plain) and I have bad luck with all. I've decided to go with a paper label because spraying my label sheets just sounds like another step and I'm doing this to cut down on my labeling time for my candles. I've been making candles with my new labels for several days now and it has really streamlined things already! I'm very pleased.

I'm posting the page where I found some round hang tag things that I'm using for my candle inserts. Classiccandle, I'm checking out the link you posted too. But so far, the sheets I've started working with are easy and quick to punch out. Quicker than what I've done in the past. I like the look of the insert and having the extra space to print info. I think it will work out well.

Here's the link:

http://www.labelsbythesheet.com/items/hang-tags/hang-tags-for-two-sided-printing/2-diameter-round-hang-tag-sheet-micro-nikked-white-or-brown-kraft-cardstock-br-usually-ships-same-da-detail.htm

(now that's a big link!)

Thank you to everyone with the great input about what you do with your labels!