Donating to our troops

katshe

I am going to donate 32 bars of soap to our us troops.

I made some soaps that didn't quite turn out the best and I thought maybe I could donate them to the troops instead of just packing them away to use myself.

I added some tea to the soap to change color and it has a hint of tea smell along with the scent...when I used it I didn;t get the tea smell just fo scent and it was nice.

I didn't want to put them up for sale in case someone was not going to like that tea smell in the background

Do you think it is a good idea to donate this batch?

It is definately a very nice thing to do, but you might want to do as Candybee says and donate locally. I have done several combat tours and we were constantly getting packages from many sources (at least this last go-around, not so much in Kosovo, Bosnia, Desert Storm). The VFW, base MWR's and FRG's, and many schools, groups, etc. would send us things we could use (as well as alot of things we didn't really need, but the thought was appreciated). In fact, my last tour in Iraq we would get 150 boxes at a time for our company (135 soldiers). It was a bit of an overload.

It is definately a great thought, and I thank you for all the troops still overseas. But I think the unique nature of your products would be better appreciated locally. Again, thank you for thinking of our troops overseas.

Cheers,

Steve

Now if you made chewing gum that would be another story. We could never get enough gum. It was great for the long combat patrols, but did tend to get a little gritty, LOL!

Edited by Wessex

I know there are homeless shelters that are geared toward men as well. I know here in my city we have a Salvation Army run shelter that is all men in addition to the VA shelter. Both would be more than happy to get gifts like these. Either that or check with your local social service organization. I am sure they would have plenty of suggestions of groups that could use it.

I think your idea is very sweet and if that is what you wanna do, then do it :yay:. There is nothing better than a little something to remind them of home. My only concern is keeping in mind the time it will take to ship out there (they may get it fairly quick, however there are those times when care packages get mixed up in the shuffle) thus resulting in an ooey gooey mess.

It was probably an "urban legend" type thing...lol

Nope - not an urban legend ... just a different type of war. Going back to the Viet Nam era, troops were sent out on patrols in heavily foliage. A whiff of Old Spice was extremely out of place and a give-away of someone's location. It was more of a close-combat situation.

Today there is no doubt when troops in the area so there is no need to "blend in" with the surroundings. Of course there are exceptions, I'm thinking Navy Seals and some Recon patrols.

During Desert Shield/Desert Storm and the early days of the Gulf War we recommended that spouses only send things that were easily identified as being commercially made and factory wrapped. This was for troop safety. Guidance may have changed.

Edited by Judy, USMC

Nope - not an urban legend ... just a different type of war. Going back to the Viet Nam era, troops were sent out on patrols in heavily foliage. A whiff of Old Spice was extremely out of place and a give-away of someone's location. It was more of a close-combat situation.

Today there is no doubt when troops in the area so there is no need to "blend in" with the surroundings. Of course there are exceptions, I'm thinking Navy Seals and some Recon patrols.

During Desert Shield/Desert Storm and the early days of the Gulf War we recommended that spouses only send things that were easily identified as being commercially made and factory wrapped. This was for troop safety. Guidance may have changed.

Thanks Judy! That makes perfect sense.