best throwing wax?

ok im about to purchase some new supplies and would like to take a poll and see what exp. candle makers prefer. i am lookin for a container wax to use in pour candles and would like to know what you would consider the best wax for the cold throw and the hot throw.

i have been using 4630 and it just does not impress me

Good Luck.. From what I've seen these boards aren't very active :) Being new myself I can't help you here, I just researched and read read read....if you read enough you will know what's out there, and of course we need to test them all ! Everyone's house conditions (climate) are different and from what I've gathered that affects the results. So what's good for some, may not be good for others. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. lol

This forum is one of the most active forums I've encountered. However, with that being said, there is already a TON of information already here. Not only on the active board but also on the archives. The "best wax" is subjective. We all have our own opinions and there will never be a true consensus. Its like asking what is the best breed of dog. Research and then pick the best one for you.

You can spend hours a day on this board looking at the discussions regarding various waxes and how they work for the individuals using them.

My suggestion would be to go to the supplier's sites and check out what is available to you for a reasonable price, including shipping. Do you want soy? Do you want a blend? Paraffin? After you choose a few types, then search what others have already said about these waxes.

HTH

I agree with Deb. Choose what kind of wax you want to work with then check on local suppliers and see what they carry. Unless you have plenty of funds to blow on shipping costs, whats available near you or what you can find with reasonable shipping costs will shrink the choices.

As for soy vs paraffin, they both have good qualities. It's a matter of personal preference. Personally I have no interest at all in soy.

Can I ask what it was about 4630 that didn't impress you? I first started making candles I used this and LOVED it for HT/CT **once I got wicking correct**. The right size/type wick for my particular container made all the difference. Have you tried different wicks with it?

The other wax that I loved was J50. They were both basically pour, trim and cover then you are done with great results waxes for me. God do I miss them since switching to palm because the local customers were demanding "natural" wax!!

Not knowing what your preference in wax types is won't help to narrow it down. You didn't mention if you are interested in soy, parasoy, paraffin, palm, etc.

Since you not asking in the soy section I will guess you may want to start with a paraffin wax. My preference are the Honeywell/Astorlite container blends J223 and/or J50. But others prefer IGI waxes.

I would suggest that you start with a pre-blend container wax. That means it already has the additives in it so you don't have to add anything but fragrance and dye.

Edited by Candybee

Good Luck.. From what I've seen these boards aren't very active :) Being new myself I can't help you here, I just researched and read read read....if you read enough you will know what's out there, and of course we need to test them all ! Everyone's house conditions (climate) are different and from what I've gathered that affects the results. So what's good for some, may not be good for others. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. lol

Way to go Bella, start off with an insult and add a smiley emoticon with it and see how active this board can be. I'm pretty much unoffendable, yet you managed to offend me..congrats.

Way to go Bella, start off with an insult and add a smiley emoticon with it and see how active this board can be. I'm pretty much unoffendable, yet you managed to offend me..congrats.

:laugh2:That's just what I thought! These boards are quite active and can sometimes get "congested" if one isn't careful,..... know what I mean? LOL

To the original poster: do a search on paraffin vs. soy (use the search button at the top of the page); you'll find lots of info on both. Then decide if paraffin or soy is what you want to start with.

If, as Candle Science reads, you want "the best of both worlds" you may want to consider a parasoy like the 6006. Once you've narrowed it down, start playing with it and come back here on this active board, where... many of us will be more than willing to help you. HTH

Not knowing what your preference in wax types is won't help to narrow it down. You didn't mention if you are interested in soy, parasoy, paraffin, palm, etc.

Since you not asking in the soy section I will guess you may want to start with a paraffin wax. My preference are the Honeywell/Astorlite container blends J223 and/or J50. But others prefer IGI waxes.

I would suggest that you start with a pre-blend container wax. That means it already has the additives in it so you don't have to add anything but fragrance and dye.

candy bee i am a complete beginner and do not even know how to begin to decide what i prefer to work with any advise will be greatly appreciated and i do believe these are the most active boards i have found.

i am wanting to use containers that measure

Height: 3.25"

Base Diameter: 2.875"

Widest Diameter: 2.875"

Top Diameter: 2.875"

Wax Capacity (to fill line): 6.2 oz

Wax Capacity (Overflow): 6.9 oz

i am using wick

51-32-18

i am using 1.5 oz of fo to the pound of wax and am pouring two pounds at a time.

i live in memphis tn and we dont have any wax dist. in the area so i will have to pay shipping so i can order whatever is needed. i have not tried wick testing yet but have ordered a sampler pack of zinc wicks. i am really looking for a wax that the ct will be obvious at least ten inches away from your face. if anyone could give me a combo to try it would be greatly appreciated

thanks for the input about aztec i will surely check them out. i have ordered zinc wicks and will also get the other two types mentioned. when i a testing wicks what would be the key things to look for and how will i know when i get it right? on average how long should it be before i can smell my candles very strong in the room? also any ideas on the best cold throw parafin based wax as the more reading i am doing i am seeing it seems a little more forgiving than the soy waxes. :)

thanks again for all the help guys and gals i am finding my new hobby to be a great stress reliever and enjoyable experience

***edit....also satin ducky what do you think of aztecs fo's and which would you consider the best ones they carry?

Edited by heavenly scents

hahaha wow...that statement was made after over a couple weeks of observing and reading the boards! Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone here but they really are not active boards..lol chillax!! candle making is supposed to be therapeudic :P I guess you haven't had your dose today, have you ladies!

hahaha wow...that statement was made after over a couple weeks of observing and reading the boards! Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone here but they really are not active boards..lol chillax!! candle making is supposed to be therapeudic :P I guess you haven't had your dose today, have you ladies!

First you say you didn't mean to offend anyone and then you follow it with yet another insult. Honestly!:rolleyes2

Well, Bella Rose, if there's a more active board, please tell us. Personally, I haven't found it and frankly I don't believe you know of a "busier" one; perhaps you're just trying to be a sh-t disturber?:laugh2: If so, good luck!

Candybee, I think Bella Rose is just trying to get people going so this board will become more active; very commendable, Bella:p

Heavenly Scents, good luck and let us know how it goes for you; please help keep this board active!:rolleyes2

I haven't had problems with any of their FOs, but I only have a dozen or so. The majority of my FOs I had already become accustomed to from other places and don't change unless it's necessary. Some smell similar between suppliers but sometimes they're completely different. Lavender is one - Peaks is very herbal, Aztecs smells flowery and Alabaster is in between. Not to mention each one is subjective to the nose. You may smell something completely different than me, from the same bottle, then will smell different again once it's in wax. Cruise through the FO section for a better idea on scents. There's a scent review board as well, but I don't have the link handy.

There are also many new "hot" FOs out there that I've never smelled because I've been out of it for a year or so.

I can't comment on the container waxes as I don't mess with them very much. I'm a pillar gal :yay:

As to what to look for when testing, there's a lot of info in the Newbie/FAQ sections. Somewhere was even a helpful test sheet to record information.

How long should it take to smell it in a room? Depends on the size of the candle, room size, air temp, etc. More often then not, I can't smell anything after I've been pouring...lol

Edited by SatinDucky

Something else that I think you have to consider is air flow in your home.

Some times when I am testing a new fragrance...I always test my 8 oz. Madison jars in my kitchen. Our downstairs is pretty much an open floor plan...so maybe the throw is not that strong in my kitchen...but I find that walking into my hall and coming up the stairs the hot throw is much stronger. I have a friend that lives in a 1 story home here...but has a vacation home in another state. It's a 2 story log home...2nd floor is a loft area looking down over the 2nd floor. She said that many times she will be burning a candle downstairs and the throw isn't real strong...but if she goes upstairs it's a lot stronger.

Just throwing that out there for you to consider.

As far as cold throw. I can take the lids off some of my candles and smell them when I walk in my powder room or bathroom. I think it depends on the scent. Usually I have some type of floral flowerpot votive sitting in there...and to me florals seem to be really strong...sometimes TOO strong. lol

I have another friend that just recently got into burning pillar candles. Not mine...btw...since I don't pour many pillars. She will have 2 of my container candles burning in her kitchen and then 5 or 6 different scented pillars going at the same time. Then she will say to me...oh doesn't that Asian Spice (Pier 1) smell wonderful. Uhhhhhh.......what we are smelling is a combination of 7 or 8 different scents. She can be an idiot at times...lol.

I use the comfort blend wax....after trying a few waxes...this is the one that I felt had the best hot and cold throw. It's a mess to work with...but I've found if I cut it up into workable chunks and store it in a container...it's not so bad at all lol. I find this wax to be the best for me...and my nose. I use htp wicks with this wax.

As far as this board being not very active....well, sometimes it gets slow, but it is the best and to my knowledge...the only discussion board besides the dish that you are free to discuss anything you want.

ok i have left a candle burning most of the day and now that the meltpool is 3/4 of an inch deep it has a nice hot throw and can be smelt in the house. i have ordered sampler wicks from various size wicks and have decided to go with the comfort blend 4627. i have read lots on the boards and it seems the only con to this wax is its messy to work with. everthing else says its great so hopefully in a few days when it gets here i shall have some better luck

I guess it depends on your definition of ''active''. I learned everything I know about candlemaking from this forum and I make a pretty damn good candle. When I was new, I did ask a few questions but mostly I read and read, searched and searched but I certainly did not expect anyone to spoon-feed me.

If you don't like it here, you can move on to a more active forum.

What other boards are you on, would love to read what others say about candle making.