Opinion on labels

Wessex

OK, looking for feedback on a couple of labels. Just ignore the wording, just there for a completed label. Want to know if the white or kraft label is a better fit on the clamshells. I personally do not want to include pictures of the scent on the clamshells. I'm kinda a simple label person. Also, what do you think about the tart hanging labels? I have found that (for me at least), these are easier than shrink wrapping the individual tarts (which was my first thoughts). Again, not finalized on wording yet, just looking for general imput. Please be gentle, LOL.

Thanks,

Steve

post-12326-139458476121_thumb.jpg

post-12326-139458476125_thumb.jpg

post-12326-139458476129_thumb.jpg

The paper stock on the hanging tarts is made from 65# card stock sheets. The clamshell labels are just stock labels from labelsbythesheet. I thought about using the cardstock sheets to make labels for the clamshells and placing them inside the clamshell, but it just didn't look right. I do like the blue, though.

Thanks,

Steve

I love the hanging tarts. They're really nice.

As far as the clamshells It's hard to say. I think I agree that the white goes better with the hanging ones, but the brown is interesting. I think they would work well with some better typsetting & give an interesting rustic feel.

White background label is better. Good contrast.

Colors of wax are off. ...

Blackberry sage should be a dark sage color (not green, sage)

Cucumber cantaloupe? should be not yellow, but orange with a tinge of teal.

Edited by EricofAZ

Thanks everyone on the feedback. I prefer the white over the kraft, as I am not going for the rustic look. But the white is just so plain. Thought about adding some background design, but think it would just clutter things up. As far as the product name, I wanted a different color to kinda stand out and make the scent name easier to locate quickly. I do not have a logo. Been thinking about a simple one, will need it once I get a website up and running. But I have no artistic skill and don't want to jump in with some cheap looking generic thing. As far as the wax colors, I am still playing with soy and have been trying different colors just to see what they look like (you should see the teal "black cherry bomb" tarts, LOL). Thought about the natural look that so many soy makers go with, but would like some color.

I am not selling these yet, many are still going out as testers. I have tested the majority of the scents I have poured and am very pleased with them. I get at least 2 12-hour sessions out of each clamshell square, and some of the tarts are lasting several days. I consider that good. Only one scent so far has lasted less than 12 hours. I have several that are ready to sell, and have been pondering putting them on Etsy to see how things go. It would be nice to get 1 sale a week to start getting some feedback.

OK, I am rambling on. Thanks guys for the feedback so far.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve,

I like the white labels as well. They look "cleaner" that way and white will look better no matter what the color of the wax is, if that makes sense. :smiley2:

Also, not sure if you have a graphics program that you use, but you mentioned about putting a background image on the label. You can do that, but in the graphics program (I use Illistrator) you can turn the opacity way down to where it is barely visible. This can add a little "pop" to the label without being a distraction or too crowded with any text on the label.

If you can a do a little webpage building there is a great site that you can tons of templates for free from and just swap your own images for the ones in the template. Of course it will depend on your comfort level with code in a webpage. Here is the site: http://www.freecsstemplates.org/. Just thought it might be useful to look at a variety of templates they have and spark some ideas. :smiley2:

Regards,

Bruce

I like the white labels as well. Have you tried just a simple thin border around the edge like your tart labels? Or, does it crowd the wording to much. Maybe a watermark if your label program supports that.

Really do like the blue cardstock on the hang labels. Like brudil said, if you can add a background to the white labels and reduce the opacity maybe you can get a look similiar to the cardstock. Should look very nice.

Colors of wax are off. ...

According to whom?

You'd go nuts in my shop with all undyed product.

Candle color is subjective. If someone wants to make Pink Sugar orange or lavender, it's their choice.

According to whom?

You'd go nuts in my shop with all undyed product.

Candle color is subjective. If someone wants to make Pink Sugar orange or lavender, it's their choice.

I made votives for a wedding four years ago, they were lavender and light yellow and the scent was Strawberry Jam.

It is not necessary to match color with scent.

I read somewhere that people either buy by scent and don't care about the color or they buy for color to match decor and don't care about scent.

I think mostly just candlemakers really care if they match so I stopped trying.

I made votives for a wedding four years ago, they were lavender and light yellow and the scent was Strawberry Jam.

It is not necessary to match color with scent.

I read somewhere that people either buy by scent and don't care about the color or they buy for color to match decor and don't care about scent.

I think mostly just candlemakers really care if they match so I stopped trying.

I unintentionally made a dozen bright orange candles scented in Hazelnut coffee (picked up the wrong dye...noticed it too late). I had them sitting on a shelf for a while and then took them to a show on a whim. Sold out immediately. Go figure.

Hey, stop hijacking my thread...just kidding, LOL.

I have been going no dye on some of the chocolate scents (brown looks "icky" to me in soy). Other scents I just go with what I think is "appropriate" at the time. But still in a learning curve with dyes and soy wax. But my thought is that people are buying tarts and clamshells for the scents, so they probably won't care a whole lot about the color. I'm debating right now on whether or not to throw a few of the tested tarts/clamshells on Ebay or Etsy. I just don't think it will bring in any business on these sites without an established client base. I guess I am OK with the labels (going with the white on the clamshells). Trying to keep label costs down, so probably am not going to go with the opaque design under the writing. And the tart hanging tags/bags only cost about 4 cents apiece (not including my labor, but I can whip them out really quick).

Thanks all for your input so far.

Cheers,

Steve

My fav of your three pix Steve is the third. Labels should be consistent, so I wouldn't use the brown unless all your labels contained it. I would actually like the brown labels if they would present a more stunning look, but I think they tend to dull everything. If there was actually a combo label using both, that might be interesting, but I wouldn't want to have to do all the cutting to make it work. I get lazy that way and labels are the last thing I do for the packaging because of that.

Since when? Because you make your colors that way, do we all need to now? Not happening here.

I like them both, but, agree that whatever you go with they should be consistent. As for the colors of candles I once had a competitor tell me that Love Spell is purple not pink. I thought am I over there telling you what you are doing wrong with your products imo. This is a craft and everyone has their own personal preference of doing things such as if I want an orange blueberry candle dang it I'm gonna make an orange colored blueberry candle. Now I wouldn't do that for customer purchases unless it was a special order or if they were for me, but, I thought it was rude of the competitor to tell me that, what business is it of theirs what color I make my Love Spell. I personally like it better in pink and I sell it like crazy so obviously no one else has a problem with it. :D

I like them both, but, agree that whatever you go with they should be consistent. As for the colors of candles I once had a competitor tell me that Love Spell is purple not pink. I thought am I over there telling you what you are doing wrong with your products imo. This is a craft and everyone has their own personal preference of doing things such as if I want an orange blueberry candle dang it I'm gonna make an orange colored blueberry candle. Now I wouldn't do that for customer purchases unless it was a special order or if they were for me, but, I thought it was rude of the competitor to tell me that, what business is it of theirs what color I make my Love Spell. I personally like it better in pink and I sell it like crazy so obviously no one else has a problem with it. :D

Ya know...there must be "a method to your madness". :laugh2: Because I used to color my LoveSpell purple and it didn't sell real well. I changed it to pink and now it sells a lot better.

Years ago my best friend loved a fragrance that I got from...I think it was BnL. I always made it yellow...I think the name of it was Silent Night so I thought of the star in the east and colored it yellow. She wanted to order one for a gift and asked to make it dark blue. No problem...that's what I did. I guess she was thinking of a dark blue sky at night.

I bought dye chips from BCN about 9 years ago...they are called Pine Green and every time I use them I have to add dark green because my pine scented candles were turning turquoise. In paraffin, soy and soyblend wax.

Wessex is using soy which is harder to get dark rich colors. I use a parasoy and still have to add a little bit of brown or black...depending on the scent...to get darker candles. I use 80% paraffin and 20% soy for tarts and votives and I don't have to add AS much black or brown...but if I don't I get lighter colors too. And I don't want too add to much and clog my wicks.

Well now I do use, from time to time, pink and purple for Love Spell, but that's Hot Pink. Now that may be a no no to the color police, but I like the combo of colors. We've only had one person ask us to make something in a specific color. Can't say that a competitor has come to tell us what color to make something. We must be missing out. Then again, I try to rule out one-color candles.